Here we go again - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
A little off topic. But anyone know where Pete went?? Pete07gt?
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

i might give you a hard time but your sixer is one of the best looking ones ive seen

and besides you cant handle the power of a v8 lol jk
Hahaha! Thanks, Bone! and just wait til I get one. Ive been texting that guy about that black on black 5.0 still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh2414

I agree with bone. Other than mine your stang v6 or not, is one ofvthe sexiest cars I've ever seen
Thank you, brad!!!! means a lot

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh2414
A little off topic. But anyone know where Pete went?? Pete07gt?
Ya he's been gone awhile now
Ninjasteffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: Here we go again

I love sitting here and reading all these post about projects that will never get done and people dont have the money or knowledge to do, or do correctly. Why cant you people be happy with what you got? Sure i'd love to do forged internals in my 4.6 and slap on a smaller pulley to make hella power, but since i know i dont have the money now i keep what i have and enjoy it.
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannagofast
I love sitting here and reading all these post about projects that will never get done and people dont have the money or knowledge to do, or do correctly. Why cant you people be happy with what you got? Sure i'd love to do forged internals in my 4.6 and slap on a smaller pulley to make hella power, but since i know i dont have the money now i keep what i have and enjoy it.
Lol the projects i talk about i actually do lol. I said i was gonna swap my automatic tranny to a 5 spd guess what i did it. Just let everyone ask questions and learn i actually like reading about what ppl may wanna do. If they dont have the knowlegde well let them ask as many questions as they want thats why we are here to help each other. Hell i even thought i knew alot but i still had to ask.
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

AOD to 5 speed is a plausable swap, its realistic. So i wouldnt have any beef with you asking question bout that. But when people wanna drop 10k creat motors in there lil 6ers that was most likely there 1st car, i wanna shake them and he like "MORON! if u have 10k jus laying around, sell ur car and take that plus that 10k and buy somehting nice." And if ya dont have the money shut the **** up bout it cuz ya arent gonna do it.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannagofast View Post
AOD to 5 speed is a plausable swap, its realistic. So i wouldnt have any beef with you asking question bout that. But when people wanna drop 10k creat motors in there lil 6ers that was most likely there 1st car, i wanna shake them and he like "MORON! if u have 10k jus laying around, sell ur car and take that plus that 10k and buy somehting nice." And if ya dont have the money shut the **** up bout it cuz ya arent gonna do it.
In a way I agree with you...in another this is a general discussion page...if people want to ask those questions they can. Hopefully with some constructive and positive criticism from fellow M.E. members they will be able to come to a conclusion, make a decision and not post more threads about the same topic.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Even with a 99/01 4v you are still gonna have to have deep pockets to hit 400WHP NA.Its the same on a 3V that starts at 300hp.
Not true, got almost all the parts I need to fully build the v8 block that I will be gettinh sunday, and I still havent hit $1000.00 yet. ::
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

That also includes polished and ported fully built cobra heads from a machine shop that I snatched up for $400.00
Old 07-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

The crank, rods, pistons, k-member, wiring harness, ecu, tranny, and rear-end will set over 1k, but still under 3k if I find more deals. $100 block, $400 built, polished & ported heads, $75 bbk catless exhaust.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #46
Tib
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

Like stated, do what you want to do...who cares what others opinions are. Each person has goals with their vehicle. If your satisfied with a V6 and have goals in mind that are obtainable, then do it.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:19 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tib
Like stated, do what you want to do...who cares what others opinions are. Each person has goals with their vehicle. If your satisfied with a V6 and have goals in mind that are obtainable, then do it.
Agreed, I just hate seeing people asking questions about what they can do to their v6, then getting slammed. For the power I want while being cost effective, I am going to have to do a v8 swap. I pick up my v8 block sunday so everything is rolling at the moment. Gonna have to save money for the big stuff, tranny, k member, rear end, etc
Old 07-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglife

Why buy an engine thats already built? What fun is that? And if I had 2500 bucks, I wouldnt be driving a v6. I want the pride in being able to say, "I built this, this is my engine." Not, "Look what I bought. Dont know whats in it, but I know its fast." At least with me building it, I can get the parts over time and see my engine come to life with each new part I put on there. But then again, why waste the money at all?
Well for $2300 you can buy the 4.2l striker kit from Tom Morana Racing. It gives you all forged internals so you are ready for supercharging. No need to change tranny..but an upgrade to an 8 inch rear end would be a must. Plus while you are there you can price out heads, cam and roller rockers...I find Tom's prices very competitive and the quality is excellent. Also look at Super Six Motorsports.

I have had the V6 vs V8 arguement lots here with members of our local Mustang club. I've been asked numerous times why I "waste my money" on a V6. I don't see it as a waste of money at all. I have a very quick car that builds pretty good power. I haven't done the 4.2l striker yet...but I will at some point. First I need to upgrade brakes. I don't ever plan on racing my car so I don't need 900hp...I just want a nice car that is quick that I can take out on cruise night. The best advice I can give is do what you feel is right for you and your car...that way you'll be happy with what you get in the end.
Blackheart4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
I guess I missed all the fun.

If you're shooting for over 300 from a V6, expect to go forged and forced induction.
Hum...no"..
Old 07-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #50
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglife View Post
Not true, got almost all the parts I need to fully build the v8 block that I will be gettinh sunday, and I still havent hit $1000.00 yet. ::
Let us know when you get the dyno #s.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart4355

Well for $2300 you can buy the 4.2l striker kit from Tom Morana Racing. It gives you all forged internals so you are ready for supercharging. No need to change tranny..but an upgrade to an 8 inch rear end would be a must. Plus while you are there you can price out heads, cam and roller rockers...I find Tom's prices very competitive and the quality is excellent. Also look at Super Six Motorsports.

I have had the V6 vs V8 arguement lots here with members of our local Mustang club. I've been asked numerous times why I "waste my money" on a V6. I don't see it as a waste of money at all. I have a very quick car that builds pretty good power. I haven't done the 4.2l striker yet...but I will at some point. First I need to upgrade brakes. I don't ever plan on racing my car so I don't need 900hp...I just want a nice car that is quick that I can take out on cruise night. The best advice I can give is do what you feel is right for you and your car...that way you'll be happy with what you get in the end.
Actually, I do have to change the tranny. The T-5 tranny max tq load is 220ftlbs of tq before really messing something up. Thats about 251.33hp at 6k rpms. I am also assuming that since we are talking about the tranny, this conversion that I am using is flywheel hp as opposed to rwhp which would be concerning the rear end as well. Anyway, sine I am looking to be producing, at a minumum, 400 hp, again, keep in mind this is at the flywheel, I will be looking at about 350.13 ftlbs torque. Not sure, but I think that exceeds the cap tq limits of the T-5 tranny.
Now, in 1993 ford had the T-5z, nicknamed this because of the part number 7003z. This tranny is capable of handling 330ft/lbs of tq based on a 100,000 mile usage. The T-5z can handle up to 450hp. Keep in mind this was used in 1993 cobras. While there are some aftermarket T-5 gear sets with claims of being able to handle 600ft/lbs of torque, or 685.45hp, for the price and ease of installation, I will just purchase the T-45 tranny I found for $500.00.
But, to support your argument, yes, there are T-5 trannys out there that can handle crazy hp, just not the one in my car. All tq and hp ratings in this reference were calculated at 6k rpms.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM

Let us know when you get the dyno #s.
When I get the engine done, I want to do a pre-tune dyno and a post tune dyno to see the difference. But yes, when that happens, and its gonna be a while, I will post it on here.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglife

Actually, I do have to change the tranny. The T-5 tranny max tq load is 220ftlbs of tq before really messing something up. Thats about 251.33hp at 6k rpms. I am also assuming that since we are talking about the tranny, this conversion that I am using is flywheel hp as opposed to rwhp which would be concerning the rear end as well. Anyway, sine I am looking to be producing, at a minumum, 400 hp, again, keep in mind this is at the flywheel, I will be looking at about 350.13 ftlbs torque. Not sure, but I think that exceeds the cap tq limits of the T-5 tranny.
Now, in 1993 ford had the T-5z, nicknamed this because of the part number 7003z. This tranny is capable of handling 330ft/lbs of tq based on a 100,000 mile usage. The T-5z can handle up to 450hp. Keep in mind this was used in 1993 cobras. While there are some aftermarket T-5 gear sets with claims of being able to handle 600ft/lbs of torque, or 685.45hp, for the price and ease of installation, I will just purchase the T-45 tranny I found for $500.00.
But, to support your argument, yes, there are T-5 trannys out there that can handle crazy hp, just not the one in my car. All tq and hp ratings in this reference were calculated at 6k rpms.
Well...

As mine is 255 rwhp and 237 ftlbs....and I'm still running the stock T-5 with no issues. Now that being said I'm also running a 7.5 inch rear end which is set up to take about 300 rwhp...so really if I do any more to the car I will have to swap out the rear end...I currently have an FRPP 4.10:1 with T-loc...so it hooks up pretty well...if the tires stick...
Old 07-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well...

As mine is 255 rwhp and 237 ftlbs....and I'm still running the stock T-5 with no issues. Now that being said I'm also running a 7.5 inch rear end which is set up to take about 300 rwhp...so really if I do any more to the car I will have to swap out the rear end...I currently have an FRPP 4.10:1 with T-loc...so it hooks up pretty well...if the tires stick...
I'm putting out 266hp & 364tq with a stock T-5 with no problems.
jhagan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhagan1980

I'm putting out 266hp & 364tq with a stock T-5 with no problems.
That's awesome! Is that on a N/A V6 car?
Old 07-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

No its a 95 cobra. Just stating that a T-5 can handle 364tq just fine.
jhagan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhagan1980
No its a 95 cobra. Just stating that a T-5 can handle 364tq just fine.
Cool...I was pretty sure they could handle a fair bit of power as the Fox came with the T5 and there are some pretty powerful Fox bodies out there.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:

Cool...I was pretty sure they could handle a fair bit of power as the Fox came with the T5 and there are some pretty powerful Fox bodies out there.
Yep.
Qwik Four Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, I did some more research and there was a huge gap in years from the t-5 to the t-45. So I stand corrected. Though the specs for my tranny say Torque Cap 220ft/lbs, it seems as though there are a fair amount of stangs still running the t-5 pushing some decent power. Besides, the t-5 was used on the 94-98 v8's anyway before they stepped to the t-5z. According to what I read, the t-45 didnt come into play until 05, so I should be good at 400+ hp I am assuming. Any thoughts on that?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Yup you should be good with your T-5. I'd do a fluid change and put synthetic fluid in it just to be safe. The money you save on the tranny can go into your rear end. Definitely go 8" with t-loc...I'd go 3.73 for gears....I have 4.10's in mine...great power to the ground but you give up some gas milage with it. Also I'd look at your tranny mount while you are there..just to make sure it's in good shape and can take the extra power.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

"Besides, the t-5 was used on the 94-98 v8's" = False 1996 V8s had t-45s. just saying, not being a dick
Old 07-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
"Besides, the t-5 was used on the 94-98 v8's" = False 1996 V8s had t-45s. just saying, not being a dick
May have been off on my dates, it happens. But I would check again about the t-45
Old 07-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here is the website that I got my info from http://www.moderndriveline.com/Techn...t5_history.htm
Old 07-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Here is the website for the t-45
http://Www.moderndriveline.com/Techn...tremec_t45.htm
Old 07-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

i see, it was used in the v6s of those years, but the v8s were t45. its all good i wasnt ribbin on ya for a mistake, i was just friendly correcting ya.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion