Here we go again - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Here we go again

So, with all the arguing, all the confusion, all the mayhem, guess I will say screw it and do a v8 swap since thats a "real speed" engine and the "only way" to get awesome hp gains with less modding.
Mustanglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Re: Here we go again

Atta boy!
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglife
So, with all the arguing, all the confusion, all the mayhem, guess I will say screw it and do a v8 swap since thats a "real speed" engine and the "only way" to get awesome hp gains with less modding.
I'm gonna call you tonight. I'm gonna help you price parts for v6 and parts for v8 swap. I'll let you decide. And I'll help you find the best deals I can on parts.
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Atta boy!
For what, giving up on trying to do what I want to do and jumping on the v8 band wagon just cause? Seems to be the only way to get argumentless opinions, guidance, and ideas. Dont think for a second that I will be doing a swap for fun. Gonna be more of a pain in the *** than just modding my v6 thats already here, ready to go. Now I gotta spend money on another block, wiring harness, tranny, rear end, on top of a higher price for the mods. After all this garbage, might just say to hell with it, rebuild the engine I got now and enjoy just having a mustang.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

I'm gonna call you tonight. I'm gonna help you price parts for v6 and parts for v8 swap. I'll let you decide. And I'll help you find the best deals I can on parts.
I gotta work tonight bro, wont be able to talk. I get up at 8 and gotta be at work at 10. I am off tuesday night, lets shoot for a call then
Old 07-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:

I gotta work tonight bro, wont be able to talk. I get up at 8 and gotta be at work at 10. I am off tuesday night, lets shoot for a call then
Alright cool
Old 07-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglife View Post
For what, giving up on trying to do what I want to do and jumping on the v8 band wagon just cause? Seems to be the only way to get argumentless opinions, guidance, and ideas. Dont think for a second that I will be doing a swap for fun. Gonna be more of a pain in the *** than just modding my v6 thats already here, ready to go. Now I gotta spend money on another block, wiring harness, tranny, rear end, on top of a higher price for the mods. After all this garbage, might just say to hell with it, rebuild the engine I got now and enjoy just having a mustang.
Its sad but at the end of the day, parts for a v8 are cheaper than for a v6. Look at h/c/i packages. You can get trickflow heads for a 2v cheaper than ported stock heads for a v6. If youre building an all out street car, the rear and tranny will have to be replaced as well. The only additional thing you need for a v8 swap is the wiring. You can get a built v8 shortblock from mmr for 2500 able to handle 900hp.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

lol
Old 07-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771

Its sad but at the end of the day, parts for a v8 are cheaper than for a v6. Look at h/c/i packages. You can get trickflow heads for a 2v cheaper than ported stock heads for a v6. If youre building an all out street car, the rear and tranny will have to be replaced as well. The only additional thing you need for a v8 swap is the wiring. You can get a built v8 shortblock from mmr for 2500 able to handle 900hp.
Why buy an engine thats already built? What fun is that? And if I had 2500 bucks, I wouldnt be driving a v6. I want the pride in being able to say, "I built this, this is my engine." Not, "Look what I bought. Dont know whats in it, but I know its fast." At least with me building it, I can get the parts over time and see my engine come to life with each new part I put on there. But then again, why waste the money at all?
Old 07-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:

Why buy an engine thats already built? What fun is that? And if I had 2500 bucks, I wouldnt be driving a v6. I want the pride in being able to say, "I built this, this is my engine." Not, "Look what I bought. Dont know whats in it, but I know its fast." At least with me building it, I can get the parts over time and see my engine come to life with each new part I put on there. But then again, why waste the money at all?
We can build a v8 from scratch if you would like. We can make one mean machine
Old 07-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea you make a lot of sense. Lets replace the crank now. Then tear apart the engine in the winter to replace the rods, then next summer replace the pistons and tear down the motor a third time. There is no point in doing the same work over and over. You wanna build a fast car but you dont wanna spend money? How much do you think it costs to build a 600/700hp car? $1000? Good luck to you bro but you arent being logical or realistic
Old 07-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

What are your mods as of now? Bolton are mods that can be done one at a time. If you want to build the engine up over a long interval, your best bet would be to find a spare block and work with that. You can build up a solid bottom end and when you get the money, finish the top end. At any rate, its gonna cost way more than 2500 unless you can do your own port work and machining. What's your budget and realistic expectations? I don't want another one of your threads to get ruined over BS.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea you make a lot of sense. Lets replace the crank now. Then tear apart the engine in the winter to replace the rods, then next summer replace the pistons and tear down the motor a third time. There is no point in doing the same work over and over. You wanna build a fast car but you dont wanna spend money? How much do you think it costs to build a 600/700hp car? $1000? Good luck to you bro but you arent being logical or realistic
Ok, lets get something straight, I am not as stupid as you set me out to be in this post. I am well aware that it costs more than a grand for a few hp. Second, I already stated my hp goal which is very realistic. Third, I do expect a build to take some time. I may be new to modding, but I have been maintaining engines for 17 years. The only thing I have right now, as stated before, is a CAI.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

We can build a v8 from scratch if you would like. We can make one mean machine
That is my goal, to build from scratch, to be able to call it my own, to be able to take pride in what I am running. At least that way I will know exactly whats in my engine, not have to trust what someone tells me is there.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Do what YOU want. Don't get a V8 just because some guys are giving you a hard time. I have a V6 and damn proud of the work ive put in. Yeah, I'm looking for a v8 project car on the side because I want to. It will be my first V8 Mustang in the five+ years I've owned Mustangs.

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What are your mods as of now? Bolton are mods that can be done one at a time. If you want to build the engine up over a long interval, your best bet would be to find a spare block and work with that. You can build up a solid bottom end and when you get the money, finish the top end. At any rate, its gonna cost way more than 2500 unless you can do your own port work and machining. What's your budget and realistic expectations? I don't want another one of your threads to get ruined over BS.
Its kinda funny, you are saying in this post exactly what I said I wanted to do right from the start. I am aware of what bolt ons are. My budget its my concern and the parts will be bought when I can afford them. Dont worry about trying yo break things down barny style, I can keep up, believe me.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalayla
Do what YOU want. Don't get a V8 just because some guys are giving you a hard time. I have a V6 and damn proud of the work ive put in. Yeah, I'm looking for a v8 project car on the side because I want to. It will be my first V8 Mustang in the five+ years I've owned Mustangs.
Hell yes, thank you. What do you have done to your v6? How much hp you running?
Old 07-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Quote:

Hell yes, thank you. What do you have done to your v6? How much hp you running?
I don't have a ton of performance mods besides a K&N CAI and filter, throttle body, Flowmaster true dual exhaust with an h-pipe and Eibach pro-kit. Not sure the hp but I don't have anything super crazy.

But I also have other mods like
18" AR Rebels
Mach 1 delete grille and chin spoiler
Viper alarm
AM dark smoked headlights
Pioneer speakers with an Clarion touchscreen iPod player
Painted calipers
14" shorty antenna

I mean it's not a lot but I got her stock an I'm proud of the things I've done so far for a sixxer. I know people who have some fast lil sixxers, though. I don't let the V8 talk make me feel bad about my pride and joy.

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #19
Road Trip!

hey mustanglife. got one project i might can get for you. ill find out monday of the shape its in.
my old cobra engine

i threw a rod in it but it did not crack or blow the block.
its an aluminum bock
will find out monday the condition of the crank.
if the crank is good it is a forged steel crank. much stronger than the cast crank and capable of over 7000 rpms
dohc heads with new valve lash adjusters that i installed.
i gave it to the guy i got my engine from as a core. but he might sell it to you pretty cheap if i talk to him..

what do you think about that???
Old 07-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalayla View Post
I don't have a ton of performance mods besides a K&N CAI and filter, throttle body, Flowmaster true dual exhaust with an h-pipe and Eibach pro-kit. Not sure the hp but I don't have anything super crazy.

18" AR Rebels
Viper alarm
Painted calipers
14" shorty antenna

I mean it's not a lot but I got her stock an I'm proud of the things I've done so far for a sixxer. I know people who have some fast lil sixxers, though. I don't let the V8 talk make me feel bad about my pride and joy.
i might give you a hard time but your sixer is one of the best looking ones ive seen

and besides you cant handle the power of a v8 lol jk
Old 07-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #21
Regular
Supporter

If you are gonna go V8 I wouldn't really say you are jumping on the bandwagon. If it's better to drop in a V8 and get the power that you want at a more affordable price then it's not jumping on the bandwagon. It's called being smart.....if you have the money to build that V6 up to handle the power then I say go for it. It's all about whats the best for you and how you want to go about it. I'm not one to talk **** about a sixer,it's just my opinion that I would not do it.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #22
Road Trip!

oh by the way mustanglife i can get you a cobra wiring harness for 150$ and the computer to run it for 250
thats the prices i found in about 15 minutes of searchin. i might can find better
Old 07-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Whats is gonna take to get that engine to fit? Thats the problem. I was looking at a 5.0 from the start and I would at least have to tub the firewall to get it to fit, along with the obvious tranny, rear end, blah blah blah
Old 07-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Whats is gonna take to get that engine to fit? Thats the problem. I was looking at a 5.0 from the start and I would at least have to tub the firewall to get it to fit, along with the obvious tranny, rear end, blah blah blah
It will fit right in. You just have to Change k members
Old 07-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Quote:

There is no difference between your v6 engine bay and a cobra engine bay. They are the same. Size wise
Old 07-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Right on, thats much better than tubbing plus k member plus welding new mounts plus modding the firewall for ports. Lol. To much work to just set the engine in place.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
If you are gonna go V8 I wouldn't really say you are jumping on the bandwagon. If it's better to drop in a V8 and get the power that you want at a more affordable price then it's not jumping on the bandwagon. It's called being smart.....if you have the money to build that V6 up to handle the power then I say go for it. It's all about whats the best for you and how you want to go about it. I'm not one to talk **** about a sixer,it's just my opinion that I would not do it.
That makes sense after someone informed me that parts were cheaper than v6 parts. Believable since v6 parts arent as common I guess, lol.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:

Right on, thats much better than tubbing plus k member plus welding new mounts plus modding the firewall for ports. Lol. To much work to just set the engine in place.
Now this won't be the absolute cheapest build. But it will be the cheapest cobra build you could get. And if you put forged pistons and h beam rods your looking well into the 600hp with a supercharger

If you decide to go n/a we can still hit 400 hp fairly easy.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Now this won't be the absolute cheapest build. But it will be the cheapest cobra build you could get. And if you put forged pistons and h beam rods your looking well into the 600hp with a supercharger

If you decide to go n/a we can still hit 400 hp fairly easy.
NA sounds good. Not looking for crazy hp, 400 is nice. But at least with a cobra motor, I will have room to expand if I so desire later down the road
Old 07-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:

NA sounds good. Not looking for crazy hp, 400 is nice. But at least with a cobra motor, I will have room to expand if I so desire later down the road
That and cobra motors sound wicked! Ask me how I know???
Old 07-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That and cobra motors sound wicked! Ask me how I know???
Lol. How much you think hes gonna want for it?
Old 07-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I took tonight off by the way, got a bad heat rash on my neck thats painful as hell. So I will be able to talk for a while
Old 07-09-2011, 11:54 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalayla

18" AR Rebels
Viper alarm
Painted calipers
14" shorty antenna

I agree with bone. Other than mine your stang v6 or not, is one ofvthe sexiest cars I've ever seen
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #34
Regular
Supporter

Even with a 99/01 4v you are still gonna have to have deep pockets to hit 400WHP NA.Its the same on a 3V that starts at 300hp.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

I guess I missed all the fun.

If you're shooting for over 300 from a V6, expect to go forged and forced induction.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion