3.8l to 4.6l engine swap important steps - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
3.8l to 4.6l engine swap important steps

So I'm just finishing up with my engine swap on my '95 and '96 cars. I'm not sure if the years have anything to do with some of the things I swapped but I figured I'd put a list up on all the things I switched out! The only logical way of doing this is if you have a complete donor car.

To start off with you'll need:
The entire powertrain including engine, transmission, driveshaft, and differential. Also the cross member with engine mounts.

The V8 ECm along with the entire engine harness including wiring going from the engine bay to the ECM.

The whole dash harness including gauge cluster to have accurate readings.

Steering column, this might not be necessary if you have 2 cars of the same year. My two columns had a different amount of plugs tho, not sure if any others would be different.

Entire AC system if you have it or would like the option.

Radiator assembly and the fan module. The v6 is a 1 speed and the v8 is a 2 speed. Fans are the same. The coolant reservoir is also different along with the way it's mounted which will require some modification but it's very minor.

Brake booster and power steering lines

Cruise control cable end, the cable Is a lot longer on the V6 but you can swap over the ends in order to avoid swapping out the entire system. I hope anyway! I haven't tried it out yet.

Throttle cable

Exhaust system

Air intake

That's all I can think of right now. By far the easiest way to do this is to disconnect the entire engine and tranny from the rest of the car then pull the whole assembly out together along with the cross member, suspension, steering rack,asks wheels. I had a hoist to work with so I chained the body to the roof truss and lifted the whole body off of the assembly. It took us only about an hour to drop the new assembly in.

So hopefully this helps someone. I don't know much about these cars yet but if you have any questions I'll try to help

zrider07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: New Mexico
Re: 3.8l to 4.6l engine swap important steps

almost seems easier to swap the body off of the 6 onto the 8

Greg687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Haha! It totally would be!
zrider07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion