Well this may sound stupid but... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Well this may sound stupid but...

Why have mustangs never made a all wheel drive car? I understand the rear wheel drive is the classic muscle style but ford is looking for more power and I'd rather not have to resort to a turbo charger so why not try it? Sorry if this sounds a bit silly, I'm still somewhat a newbie but figured you guys could give me an answer.
Tippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 02:12 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: California
I think it'll be a kick *** car but idk much about awd I think it's about something like drivetrain will be weak I think I've over heard it somewhere? Some one please correct me?
16218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I think AWD is great for handling, but RWD is better for high power applications... I could be wrong though. I'm sure someone here will be able chime in with more info.

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Re: Well this may sound stupid but...

I use to have an AWD Jaguar, it was great for handling and Excellant driving in Nasty rain weather and snow, but I would never drive it against a sports car, But in a heavy bad weather Hurricane or etc. I would blow by any Mustang, Corvette, Porche any day and wave bye, bye.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
I'm pretty sure an AWD stang would be sacrilegious

Grabber orange is NOT yellow!!!
dimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well my friends Evo smokes my dads gt with full bolt on's because he rapes me off a dig and up to 35mph, then I catch up and beat him by half a length
Tippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
Why have mustangs never made a all wheel drive car? I understand the rear wheel drive is the classic muscle style but ford is looking for more power and I'd rather not have to resort to a turbo charger so why not try it? Sorry if this sounds a bit silly, I'm still somewhat a newbie but figured you guys could give me an answer.
1. Weight
2. Expense
3. Mustang owners don't want it.

The AWD will do nothing for adding "more power". In fact it would cost you some power because it would take more power to turn all of the wheels.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Road Trip!

U can probably put it on a 4x4 frame and do a lot of custom work n drop it to the floor? Idk money talk I think it'll be kinda cool with the power of a mustang moving to all 4 wheels
Old 08-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drodriguez2009 View Post
U can probably put it on a 4x4 frame and do a lot of custom work n drop it to the floor? Idk money talk I think it'll be kinda cool with the power of a mustang moving to all 4 wheels
People have done that, but it has never gone over to well as they usually opt to raise it and throw on some big ole' mud tires.
The added weight and power used to turn the wheels may make your v8 feel more like a V6.
Now if you have the power and drivetrain that will hold up, 4 wheel burnouts and donuts are cool.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
AWD is for handling only. It would make mustang cost so much more. Gas mileage goes way down. My father in laws GTR is lucky to get 11 mpg. It adds weight . There is a reason why MOST race cars are RWD.

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy
Well my friends Evo smokes my dads gt with full bolt on's because he rapes me off a dig and up to 35mph, then I catch up and beat him by half a length
Get better tires.
Gster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gster View Post
AWD is for handling only. It would make mustang cost so much more. Gas mileage goes way down. My father in laws GTR is lucky to get 11 mpg. It adds weight . There is a reason why MOST race cars are RWD.

Get better tires.
And practice your launches and "nail him to the tree".
Old 08-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Awd is amazing for a daily/strip car. Ever see a gtr at the track? Couple bolt ons and theyre in the 10s, no traction issues either! Wouldnt want it on a mustang tho.
BayyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:31 AM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Here it is - A Boss 302 AWD
Old 08-25-2011, 02:21 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Haha 50mph?! Ordering one now

Grabber orange is NOT yellow!!!
dimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:09 AM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimo View Post
Haha 50mph?! Ordering one now
Yeah! I ran across this after we had been talking about an AWD Mustang here and thought, ?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
If they have one of those that comes in "Black", then I may pick one up myself.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
If they have one of those that comes in "Black", then I may pick one up myself.
Repaint it?
1 can of your chosen color of paint in Dupli-Color should suffice.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:42 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Repaint it?
1 can of your chosen color of paint in Dupli-Color should suffice.
Yeah, your right Trojan. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
I've driven one of those, absolute fun.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #20

Region: Georgia
Yeah AWD cars are only good for launches cause they get better grip but Doesn't get the top speed a RWD does. But like the others said just extra weight and sucks the power right out of the car. unless you drift for a hobby. A little easier to control in a drift. But other than that, keep your car RWD.
csthibeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I read a mag where they put the gt 500 zr1 and the gtr against each other and the gtr dominated all around but like everyone said it's money that most people won't wanna spend....but that is a good question cause what if they just made a model of the gt500 awd? I wonder if they could get the power to stick then? it would be interesting....
gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqsmash
I read a mag where they put the gt 500 zr1 and the gtr against each other and the gtr dominated all around but like everyone said it's money that most people won't wanna spend....but that is a good question cause what if they just made a model of the gt500 awd? I wonder if they could get the power to stick then? it would be interesting....
I remember a lot of shoot outs and comparisons in which the ZR1 dominate all fields followed by the GTR then the GT500.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:35 PM   #23

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson

I remember a lot of shoot outs and comparisons in which the ZR1 dominate all fields followed by the GTR then the GT500.
If money wasn't a factor, I'd honestly have to take the GTR today. GTR handling is insane!
Kycapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Top 3 rice rockets Mitsubishi VR4 (3000 GT)
Toyota Supra and the skyline (GTR)
Dubya11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Supras are rwd?
DrSalt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSalt22
Supras are rwd?
Yup
Old 09-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah supras are rwd and they r pretty heavy
RedGT04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
It would also be tricky when it came to gearing.you would have to do front and back.also would get tricky if you put bigger tires on the back and not the front.your front and back would fight each other unless used different ratios.I guess you wouldn't need bigger on the back but you couldn't get the classic muscle car stance.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Quote:
I think a trim with AWD would be cool. Just have another V6 AWD trim for people who love the looks but need the economical value of a winter car.. Here where I live most common car is Subaru and there beasts in the snow. My car sits in the yard all winter long and I have to ride an old beater Subaru because the stang is useless. So an AWD drive mustang would be something quite unique and interesting
Dubya11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #30

Region: Connecticut
AWd cars are based on a fwd system. The mustang frame couldn't accommodate it and there aren't any sideways engine mustangs. You could do a 4x4 somehow....but then you have an f150 with a mustang shell. It would be a totally different frame trans engine suspension...so essentially a fusion
jonb347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
What year is your dads gt
phobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb347
AWd cars are based on a fwd system. The mustang frame couldn't accommodate it and there aren't any sideways engine mustangs. You could do a 4x4 somehow....but then you have an f150 with a mustang shell. It would be a totally different frame trans engine suspension...so essentially a fusion
Pretty sure the dodge charger AWD has a regular RWD engine setup. But they also don't have any other AWD cars to compete with it. If ford were to make an AWD mustang it's sales numbers would be very low because the Taurus sho makes much more sence being that it is a 4 door.
FordTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #33

Region: Connecticut
You're right I forgot about that. Look under a charger though and try to fit that in a s197
jonb347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Region: Texas

So much fail in this thread. AWD don't have top speed? The 2012 GTR has a stock top end of 197mph. It runs high 10's bone stock with the less HP as ZR1 or GT500. Not to mention its had a 2.7 best 0-60. under 10 sec 0-100. Plus it weighs more then both. Not to mention AWD has came a long way from the yesterday past. Lighter and stronger. The is EVO's in the 8's with AWD and Full weight 2012 GTR's in the 8's as well. Here a few videos to help see what AWD can do. It is very nice.

A mustang will never be AWD. It is not what people would want. It goes against everything mustang or muscle cars period.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #35
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
So much fail in this thread. AWD don't have top speed? The 2012 GTR has a stock top end of 197mph. It runs high 10's bone stock with the less HP as ZR1 or GT500. Not to mention its had a 2.7 best 0-60. under 10 sec 0-100. Plus it weighs more then both. Not to mention AWD has came a long way from the yesterday past. Lighter and stronger. The is EVO's in the 8's with AWD and Full weight 2012 GTR's in the 8's as well. Here a few videos to help see what AWD can do. It is very nice.

A mustang will never be AWD. It is not what people would want. It goes against everything mustang or muscle cars period.
The GTR's dominance is mostly because of the AWD. Give the Vette and the GT 500 better tires for increased traction or AWD then we'd have a real race. I can see the Vette handily beating the other two with its lighter weight and mph advantage from the run previously shown in the vids.

I agree with your assessment of the Mustang and AWD.
People have always wanted to compare the Mustang (a Muscle car) to the Corvette and other "Sports" cars. Plain and simple, in most cases, it cannot compete. It was never designed to in the first place.

To me a more equal lineup would be:
Muscle cars:
Mustang
Camaro
Challenger

Sports Cars:
Corvette
GTR
GT40

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion