Gears - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Gears

Folks, what is the best gear for 2004 mustang v6? And how much it will cost changing the gears plus T- lok and mechanic to install?
Siendly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Gears

3.73 for manual 4.10 for auto

when doing it install a T-lok of course

You will lose 2mpg highway (or there about) and gain a bit in the city, rpms should jump up about 15 or so~ depending on which gear you go with

the gears 200~ tlok~ 200

install can range from 200-800 depending on WHERE you go, but paying for a CORRECT install is VERY VERY worth it. Its not easy, if they dont shim it right and install it to expected tolerances it will have issues and when you have issues (whine gear wear etc) you have to start over with new gears....
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

So 4.10 is compatible? Im gonna put in 04 stang auto. Price for installing is not bad. And how about the speedometer recalibration tool do I need this?

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

And how long it will take to install with a professional mechanic?
Siendly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
You need a tuner
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siendly22
So 4.10 is compatible? Im gonna put in 04 stang auto. Price for installing is not bad. And how about the speedometer recalibration tool do I need this?

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

And how long it will take to install with a professional mechanic?
Yes it's comparable, I believe you can either use a tuner to correct the spedo. You may be able to change the spedo gear in the tranny. Your spedo is electronic so the gear may not be an option
Old 11-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
Waste of money if you ask me. If you do tho i reccomend you get some used ones so you dont have to deal with the break in procces. Its such a pain in the a$$.

I took mine to a place called rear end specialties and they did the install for like 400 bucks. But thats not including the parts. I bought the full combo for my gt from AM for a couple bills.. Good luck, thats **** adds up. You wont feel much of a difference either. And youll def have to get another tune change your shift points and speedo and blah, blah, get a spray kit. You'll feel that for sure.
Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad.krieg
Waste of money if you ask me. If you do tho i reccomend you get some used ones so you dont have to deal with the break in procces. Its such a pain in the a$$.
You sir, are wrong. Gears are great bang for buck, and used ones are a bad idea. The used gears will already be worn to the previous cars' wear pattern.
DrSalt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSalt22

You sir, are wrong. Gears are great bang for buck, and used ones are a bad idea. The used gears will already be worn to the previous cars' wear pattern.
Gears would be a great bang for your buck if you could do the install yourself. Usually you have to replace all the bearings and do the whole rear end rebuild anyway. And u do that because your down there anyway with everything apart. Heck i'd even change my axle seals.. takes time and Adds up. Have you ever done a gear install?

Hey, i'm just giving advice from personal experience. No disrespect to anyone.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Also, its pretty common of reputable shops to sell used gears from rangers and other trucks. Check it out for yourself. Overall 600- 1000 bucks for new gears aint worth it to me.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Search 4.10 RPM gear thread in the 1999-2004 section of the forum. I started the thread. It is a pretty good discussion on gears.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
I got my gears and master install kit from lrs for 250 and did the install myself.and I am no expert.anyone that can't afford to,knows there way around a wrench,and has access to a few specialty tools can do it themselves.going to a 4.10 gear would definitely be noticable.and I would never buy used gears .they are relatively cheap to buy the gears themselves so why go used.like someone else said the gears are worn to the particular car/alignment of previous installation.you may be able to get them in there right but why risk it.the install is something that you don't want to do, or pay for twice.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
I got my gears and master install kit from lrs for 250 and did the install myself.and I am no expert.anyone that can't afford to,knows there way around a wrench,and has access to a few specialty tools can do it themselves.going to a 4.10 gear would definitely be noticable.and I would never buy used gears .they are relatively cheap to buy the gears themselves so why go used.like someone else said the gears are worn to the particular car/alignment of previous installation.you may be able to get them in there right but why risk it.the install is something that you don't want to do, or pay for twice.
Don't go used. If you have to go used, then look for an entire 8.8 rear assembly with the gears already in it. It'll be cheaper that way.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:28 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Says who? If you properly install the gears they will last just as long as any other.

Call "rear end specialties" of santa clara. They will tell u the same. Its all a matter of preference.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:51 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
New gears can be had for less then $200 bucks. What is the cost of used gears?

---------- Post added at 02:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad.krieg
Says who? If you properly install the gears they will last just as long as any other.

Call "rear end specialties" of santa clara. They will tell u the same. Its all a matter of preference.
Of course they will say that, as they sell/install them.. I personally don't think low mileage used gears would be too bad. That being said I would be inclined to steer clear of used gears unless I knew for fact exactly where they came from and the price was right.. Like $50-$60 bucks right. Just my two cents.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

They inspect them, they are generally pretty new. You dont have to break them in and they will give you a warranty on the parts and install. its legit. Same as anything else, you have to install them properly. I've seen plenty of guys break pinions or burn up their brand new gears. It goes both ways.

I just broke in my 410s from AM and it sucked big donkey nuts. Keeping it under 60mph and stopping for 30+ min to let the differential cool every 15miles is a pain. Tht 500 miles was rough. All i wanted to do was punch it. Ah, that first figure 8.... Priceless.

Best of luck gentlemen.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
I see your point,only because you said they warranty them.but how much money does it save?
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion