decisions... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Region: Louisiana
decisions...

ok guys a while back i test drove a 2012 6spd GT black on black with brembo package. well today my coworker decided she wanted to test drive the Mustang as she is thinking of getting one (i rubbed off on her i guess ) well on the lot there was a grabber blue 2010 GT auto. I decided to give her a test drive since i hadn't driven the 2010. expecting to be fully disappointed of course, after driving the new 5.0. to much of my surprise, i was pretty impressed by the power that 4.6 put down. i remember someone else making a thread about getting a better feel out of the 2010 and everyone calling him crazy, but i get the same impression. seems like the 4.6 is just so responsive in that car. and the price is simply beautiful compared to the 2011 or 2012. they are asking $23k for a 2010 with around 30k miles. pretty much a base GT. is this a reasonable price? The car looks brand new inside and out, very well taken care of. Granted my uncle works at the dealership and could probably get me a discounted price as well. i'm at the point where the 2012 GT i dream of is out of reach for me and i don't want to settle for a new V6, but i do want the new body style.

my other concern is how quickly these cars will depreciate vs. the new ones with the 5.0.

opinions??
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: decisions...

I would say no, but then I stole mine. 11 Fully loaded Brembo with 2400 miles that was 6 months old for 30k, sticker was 43400.
M3to5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Yeah I don't know what to say other then ask what is your price range because just like m3 mine was six months old ten thousand miles and I got mine at 32 grand which is 12 under what it would sell brand new. I know u would be happy with a 2010 but if u wait six months new and used 2011s will be forced to sell so they have room for new ones. So the choice is up to u good and bad on both choices.

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3to5.0
I would say no, but then I stole mine. 11 Fully loaded Brembo with 2400 miles that was 6 months old for 30k, sticker was 43400.
Wow wish I could find a deal like that!!

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy
Yeah I don't know what to say other then ask what is your price range because just like m3 mine was six months old ten thousand miles and I got mine at 32 grand which is 12 under what it would sell brand new. I know u would be happy with a 2010 but if u wait six months new and used 2011s will be forced to sell so they have room for new ones. So the choice is up to u good and bad on both choices.
Very true. Waiting it out could prove to get a better deal.
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 11-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
don't over extend yourself over a car, be realistic about what you can afford...if you feel like waiting for a 11+ to fall into that price range than do it, if not, buy the car you want (can afford) and enjoy it...last thing you want is to buy out of your price range and have to kill yourself over the car...
Old 11-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TRV6 View Post
Wow wish I could find a deal like that!!

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

Very true. Waiting it out could prove to get a better deal.
it really can, i don't know what to expect with the value dropping on the 2010, it could go one of 2 ways the only year of that body style to still retain the 4.6 v8, will that make it more valuable or devalue it, either way from what i have gathered of you i think u'd be happy with either one and a mustang is a mustang right, especially when talking modern mustangs. With that being my nonbiased opinion i will say in my humble opinion to wait those six months try to line up some buyers for your other cars if you are still interested in that and then go into the dealer with that money in hand and wheel and deal with them using that money you have in cash to leverage them to drop the price by a couple grand and with that i am low balling the price here but for the 2 cars if you get 5 grand and find one they want to sell at 30 grand talk them down to 28 thousand and then put the 5 thousand down you now are at 23 grand same price as that grabber blue, Payments assuming a 5 percent interest rate on 25,000 for 5 years would equate to 471.00 a month and 400 a month for six months. So it isnt' really that bad and waiting 6 months you could probably end up getting it for even less

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
Old 11-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy View Post
it really can, i don't know what to expect with the value dropping on the 2010, it could go one of 2 ways the only year of that body style to still retain the 4.6 v8, will that make it more valuable or devalue it, either way from what i have gathered of you i think u'd be happy with either one and a mustang is a mustang right, especially when talking modern mustangs. With that being my nonbiased opinion i will say in my humble opinion to wait those six months try to line up some buyers for your other cars if you are still interested in that and then go into the dealer with that money in hand and wheel and deal with them using that money you have in cash to leverage them to drop the price by a couple grand and with that i am low balling the price here but for the 2 cars if you get 5 grand and find one they want to sell at 30 grand talk them down to 28 thousand and then put the 5 thousand down you now are at 23 grand same price as that grabber blue, Payments assuming a 5 percent interest rate on 25,000 for 5 years would equate to 471.00 a month and 400 a month for six months. So it isnt' really that bad and waiting 6 months you could probably end up getting it for even less
^ He brings up a good point. I would pass on 23K for a base maybe 20 or 21 something. I think you can find a GT Premium out there for about that. It's not a bad deal, but I think if you are patient you will get 2010 for less.

As for re-sale, I don't think it will drop too much, but we are seeing record high used car prices right now. Keep that in mind prices seem to be about 4 grand higher on average. There is always a lot of demand for clean used Mustangs. Here is another example as to why I would pass. Even though it's not a premium it's a year newer for $2K more. Just my .2 cents.

Cars for Sale: 2011 Ford Mustang GT in Warner Robins, GA 31088: Coupe Details - 301953425 - AutoTrader.com
Old 11-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy

Very very good advice. Thanks a ton! If I can sell the two others first plus what I have saved I should have a nice down payment.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford

^ He brings up a good point. I would pass on 23K for a base maybe 20 or 21 something. I think you can find a GT Premium out there for about that. It's not a bad deal, but I think if you are patient you will get 2010 for less.

As for re-sale, I don't think it will drop too much, but we are seeing record high used car prices right now. Keep that in mind prices seem to be about 4 grand higher on average. There is always a lot of demand for clean used Mustangs. Here is another example as to why I would pass. Even though it's not a premium it's a year newer for $2K more. Just my .2 cents.

Cars for Sale: 2011 Ford Mustang GT in Warner Robins, GA 31088: Coupe Details - 301953425 - AutoTrader.com
Very good point. Thanks!
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 11-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TRV6 View Post
Very very good advice. Thanks a ton! If I can sell the two others first plus what I have saved I should have a nice down payment.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

Very good point. Thanks!
your welcome, don't give up on your dream car of the 2011 you are good to go i have confidence that it will be sooner then later

Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
Dont settle! Go for it!
Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:31 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

My personal advice is.... look at the classified for the towns around Military installations, especially installations that have a heavy deployment rotation. It is no secret that young Soldiers often over extend what they can really afford because they have a chunk of change saved from deployments. Even if you are not close to said locations, a road trip for the right deal could save you THOUSANDS. I got mine from a Pilot that bought "too many toys" after a deployment and found himself in deeper water than he could tread.... his payoff on the car was more than I bought it for. The deals are out there.... just look beyond the local Stealerships.
M3to5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:34 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

You said your Uncle works at the dealership, have him look around for you and keep an eye out for what you want with your price range. You might have to settle for a different color or whatever is available, but in the end you get the Pony you want.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #13
A.K.A. Baby-D!

They dropped price to 20500

---------- Post added at 06:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TRV6
If they can give me a good trade and some new tires thrown in the deal I'll go for it lol
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 11-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

dont buy the 2010, you will regret it. The differences you feel can probably all be fixed via a tune (throttle response etc).
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #15
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
dont buy the 2010, you will regret it. The differences you feel can probably all be fixed via a tune (throttle response etc).
It's 2010 GT or 2011 V6. I'll take the GT. Lol

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

Plus the 4.6 has had a long running with Ford. Known as a dependable engine. I don't like some of the things I've heard about the 5.0
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 11-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #16
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TRV6

---------- Post added at 06:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 AM ----------

If they can give me a good trade and some new tires thrown in the deal I'll go for it lol
That's about right on a '10 GT. I would try selling it outright. Because they will nit pick anything and everything on it.
I'd atleast make em put tires on it. That's 600 to 800 bucks.

I should clarify: I was referring to 20500 is the right price but make sure you get tires. Your trade is worth selling outright. Also your uncle may give you a better price on the trade.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I know it's hard to wait, but if you really want the 2011 style just be patient. Take it from a 50 year old who has bought many cars and made my share of mistakes. Rule #1. Never buy new!!!! Any car depreciates several thousand the minute you drive off the lot. They're already showing 2013's at Sema. People are trading nice GT's for Boss 302's. The best time to buy is dead of winter when no cars are selling and the new model years are on the lot. Watch the news especially about Europe the economy could tank again in 6 months. This will mean desperate sellers. The poster who mentioned check near military bases is sooo right. There are going to be thousands of our best and brightest coming home in by January from Iraq. They will be jonesing to by a new Stang, Camaro, or Challenger. Lots of trades. Watch craigslist for desperate sellers. We just bought an extremely well kept low milage 96 SVT Cobra from someone on craigslist who had tried to sell it for 6 months. He was ready to sell. It had 39K miles Black on Black all options. Spotless paint. He started at 12,500 I got it for $10.

Use a credit union. The absolute best rates. For a 2010-2012 you can get 3.9% if you have good credit. The worst mistakes I ever made was when I was in a hurry. Sold when I should of kept and bought wrong. I bought a brand new 82 GT HO 1st year had to have it in July of 82. They were in short supply I paid list. 1 month later the 83's came out with 35 more HP and a 5spd instead of a 4spd.

If you don't have to have the new body style look around. $20-23k will get you a 2003-4 Terminator supercharged Cobra the hottest stangs next to the Boss. Or also maybe a Saleen or Roush. Instantly collectible and won't depreciate if you take care of it. And they always had better performance than a comperable GT.

Finally do youself a favor unless you absolutely can't drive stick don't by an automatic. If you really want to enjoy the thrill of speed and driving by a stick.

My $ 0.02. Spiney-Dave
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #18
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney
I know it's hard to wait, but if you really want the 2011 style just be patient. Take it from a 50 year old who has bought many cars and made my share of mistakes. Rule #1. Never buy new!!!! Any car depreciates several thousand the minute you drive off the lot. They're already showing 2013's at Sema. People are trading nice GT's for Boss 302's. The best time to buy is dead of winter when no cars are selling and the new model years are on the lot. Watch the news especially about Europe the economy could tank again in 6 months. This will mean desperate sellers. The poster who mentioned check near military bases is sooo right. There are going to be thousands of our best and brightest coming home in by January from Iraq. They will be jonesing to by a new Stang, Camaro, or Challenger. Lots of trades. Watch craigslist for desperate sellers. We just bought an extremely well kept low milage 96 SVT Cobra from someone on craigslist who had tried to sell it for 6 months. He was ready to sell. It had 39K miles Black on Black all options. Spotless paint. He started at 12,500 I got it for $10.

Use a credit union. The absolute best rates. For a 2010-2012 you can get 3.9% if you have good credit. The worst mistakes I ever made was when I was in a hurry. Sold when I should of kept and bought wrong. I bought a brand new 82 GT HO 1st year had to have it in July of 82. They were in short supply I paid list. 1 month later the 83's came out with 35 more HP and a 5spd instead of a 4spd.

If you don't have to have the new body style look around. $20-23k will get you a 2003-4 Terminator supercharged Cobra the hottest stangs next to the Boss. Or also maybe a Saleen or Roush. Instantly collectible and won't depreciate if you take care of it. And they always had better performance than a comperable GT.

Finally do youself a favor unless you absolutely can't drive stick don't by an automatic. If you really want to enjoy the thrill of speed and driving by a stick.

My $ 0.02. Spiney-Dave
Highly appreciate your input sir! As far as the standard thing goes, I know how to drive one (my 88 is a 5spd) but for a daily I'd rather an auto...
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 11-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #19
A.K.A. Baby-D!

well the deal is a no go. gonna sell the two stangs i have and go for what i want later.

thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion