why so few Mustang II's ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
why so few Mustang II's ?

When searching the the different Mustang Forums I see very few Mustang II's. I know they were not the height of hi performance but when I was in high school in the late 70's I wanted a Cobra II real bad. And at the time I had a 70 Fastback with a 302. Wish I still had that and the 5 other various years I had. We just purchased a cream puff 96 SVT Cobra with only 39k miles on it this summer so I'm tapped out. But I just saw a 78 Black King Cobra on our local Craigslist for only $1500. If I had the money and space I'd buy it as a project car. I just read yesterday that for 4 or 5 years the Mustang II's outsold the classic mustangs so there should be a lot of them out there. Or did they all rust away because they were based on the Pinto. I also read that before they went with the Pinto frame they were going to base them on the Maverick. The Maverick Grabbers with 302's were not a bad car. Anyway is there no love for the Mustang II among enthusiast? Thanks, Spiney-Dave
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: why so few Mustang II's ?

No, sadly most Mustang and even Non-Mustang people do not like the Mustang II's.
The main reason I think is because of the total lack of performance even on the performance models and the miniscule Pinto like body.

I had a Black 78' King Cobra back in the day and while it was kind of fun to drive the 150-175 HP 302 left a lot to be desired in the performance department.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

agreed on the performance standpoint but it would be easy to put a newer 5.0 or an older 289 in one to fix that. I always thought they were kind of cool. Maybe it's just a nostalgia thing for me having started driving in 76. Spiney
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
agreed on the performance standpoint but it would be easy to put a newer 5.0 or an older 289 in one to fix that. I always thought they were kind of cool. Maybe it's just a nostalgia thing for me having started driving in 76. Spiney
My wording on that post may be a bit misleading.
I wouldn't try to dissuade you from rebuilding one at all.
If you are interested in them, then by all means go for it.
Since so few of them were saved/restored, they can't help but be more valuable eventually.

P.S. A bored and stroked 351W would make one haul @** for sure!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

saw this one at local carshow a couple of weeks ago, i have always liked them
2003 gt, sct custom tuned by VMP, k&n fipk, upr o/r x-pipe, dynomax turbo mufflers, mm c/c plates, mm full length subframe connectors, h&r race springs, bullit rims 18x10 rear 18x9 front, 4.10 gears, 20% tint, 9 inch shorty antenna
edross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

The Mustang II was a direct response to the energy crises brought on by the OPEC oil embargoes of the early ’70s. Looking at the bloated 1973 Mustang, Ford was sure the way to go for ’74 was smaller. So it slapped a new body atop the Pinto to create the Mustang II and skipped V-8 engines altogether.

Even as the Mustang II went on sale, purists were crying that it represented a betrayal. Instead of the powerful car the Mustang had been, here was a poseur with wheezing four- and six-cylinder engines under the hood. And except for slightly better fuel economy, there were no compensating virtues.

Styling cues from earlier ponies—the “C” indent along the flanks, the three-section taillights, and the corral-shaped front grille—were cartoonish on the misshapen Mustang II. And no other Mustang is quite as despicable as the 1975 Mustang II Ghia notchback coupe with the half-vinyl roof. Ford shoehorned a V-8 into the Mustang II during 1975—a strangled two-barrel 302-cubic-inch rated at a pathetic 129 hp—and that further proved how ludicrously fragile the car’s structure was.

Today the Mustang II is the Mustang only the most socially inept enthusiast loves.
________________________Ford Mustang II – Based on the Pinto, the Mustang II was Ford’s answer to the oil crisis of 1973. The standard car had 88hp, and the high-end version had 105hp, not swift by any definition. Shorter, and smaller than the old Mustang, it looked overly styled, bulky and was an embarrassment to the Mustang name.___________________
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mump_0911_06_+1977_mustang_ghia+.jpg
Views:	2690
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	33914  
bryanbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
This is the car you're talking about right?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20111104_074534.png
Views:	208
Size:	648.3 KB
ID:	33915   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111104_074555.png
Views:	189
Size:	533.8 KB
ID:	33916  

Name:	ForumRunner_20111104_074606.png
Views:	207
Size:	540.9 KB
ID:	33917  
fresh2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The Ford Mustang Cobra II. Now, the Mustang II, in and of itself was pretty damn depressing, and an insult to the car that launched the pony car revolution. An over-glorified Pinto with better engine options and more weight, the Mustang II was cringe inducing even without the optional vinyl top, but the Cobra II … gawd, we can barely make ourselves think about it. The only thing that differentiates the Cobra II from a run of the mill Mustang II were the fake scoops, useless spoilers and the stickers. Lots of stickers. After Ford so thoroughly made a mockery of the venerable Cobra name, is it any wonder Carroll Shelby told Ford to bugger off and started working with Chrysler?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mustang_ii_cobra.jpg
Views:	4143
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	33918  
Old 11-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I've always wanted to do a Resto-Mod to one of these!.. And drop in a brand new 5.0 with forged internals and a Vortec!.. With the suspension and every thing else being all top line parts!.. Just leave the interior and exterior untouched!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
I've always wanted to do a Resto-Mod to one of these!.. And drop in a brand new 5.0 with forged internals and a Vortec!.. With the suspension and every thing else being all top line parts!.. Just leave the interior and exterior untouched!..
and with that motor you would quickly find out how fragile the chassis is!!! Trust me other people before have tried to create a redeeming quality for the Mustang II but in the end were met with disgust. you cant make it fast or you will bend it in half.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanbrock

and with that motor you would quickly find out how fragile the chassis is!!! Trust me other people before have tried to create a redeeming quality for the Mustang II but in the end were met with disgust. you cant make it fast or you will bend it in half.
Ya... And if there is a will there is a way!.. Trust me!.. A Resto-Mod is just that!.. It just looks restored but it's modded out!!...
Old 11-10-2011, 03:37 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Ya... And if there is a will there is a way!.. Trust me!.. A Resto-Mod is just that!.. It just looks restored but it's modded out!!...
Yup, a tube frame would take care of any bending issues it might have.
The worst thing to deal with putting a lot of power into one would be the short wheelbase.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:04 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Yup, a tube frame would take care of any bending issues it might have.
The worst thing to deal with putting a lot of power into one would be the short wheelbase.
True... But it would make one heck of a ride!.. And there would be nothing else like it!...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion