garage floor covering - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
garage floor covering

We are newbie owners of a 96 SVT Cobra. This will be our first year of storing it for the winter. Previous owner really took car of it with a heated garage. He had 4 pieces of carpet or rubber for where the tires sat. Tonight at Sears I saw three options. Interlocking garage carpet about 3/8" thick at $30 for (6) 2x2' pieces. Interlocking rubber $20 for (6) 2x2pieces. And on closeout reg $40 now $24 for (6) 18"x18" interlocking PVC 1/4" thick in red/black checkerboard pattern. I don't want to put car up on jackstands. Garage is old school standalone no heat. Wood with concrete floor. Which floor treatments is best? I will back her out and back in routinely to avoid flatspots. Thanks. Spiney-Dave
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Not familiar with floor covering but I don't see why this would be an advantage over just the concrete floor. If your going to rotate your wheels by moving car it shouldn't matter. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, Lord knows I've been wrong before.
jhagan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
If you were not going to move it, it might be a good idea to have something under the tires. I think the main idea is to keep the concrete from drawing the moister out of the tires.
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
If you were not going to move it, it might be a good idea to have something under the tires. I think the main idea is to keep the concrete from drawing the moister out of the tires.
Hmm never thought about that good point.

On a side note: If you plan on storing it a while with out a cover, you may even want to look for an in expensive heating system and a window unit for the summer just to keep dust down I think Mitsubishi makes some.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Op here. We ended up putting down an area 16'x10 using 3/8" thick rubber tiles we got at Sears for $20/ 6 pack 2x2' each. This serves several purposes. Keeps the dust down. Keeps the tires off the concrete. I was told to do this for long term parking. And since we share garage with mother-in-law it puts a boundry around car so lawn items, other clutter stays away from car to avoid scratches. We do have a cover for when it goes for the long winters nap. Right now we are still enjoying the sunny days and no salt / cinders on road. I hesitate to put cover on. We bought a good one from Covercraft about $300 but it seems to scratch the paint no matter how careful we are. So for now it's covered with 2 blankets. I'll post pics of floor soon. Spiney-Dave
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion