Automatic Launching on races - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-12-2011, 11:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Automatic Launching on races

I own a 2010 Mustang GT AUTO with JLT CAI/Tune & a roush catback exhaust. I just wanted to know some tips on how to launch off the line with an Automatic. I've always wanted to know just for future reference.
phobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Left foot on brake, right foot on gas. Build revs, let go of brake. You could look at a line lock kit and installing a stall converter for better acceleration.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
Left foot on brake, right foot on gas. Build revs, let go of brake. You could look at a line lock kit and installing a stall converter for better acceleration.
What's the best rpm to launch from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 03:10 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

... on stock rubber no more than 3500rpm... but it depends on lots of stuff.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
... on stock rubber no more than 3500rpm... but it depends on lots of stuff.
What stuff? Wud it be smart to leave traction control on or off?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Generally off. Make sure you practice in a controlled setting. Get comfortable with it first...
Old 12-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Generally off. Make sure you practice in a controlled setting. Get comfortable with it first...
I thought that wud always be a good launching tip but I never did it because I thought I wud burn wheel off the start & it wud delay me in some way Lol
Old 12-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Re: Automatic Launching on races

The basic technique is as said. Left foot on brake, bring the RPM's up, give it gas and release the brakes.

On the stock stall convertor you won't be able to get up to 3,500 rpm. Stock is only about 2,000 maximum. If you try to stall it up to 3,500 on the automatic it will just push through the lights, or stall out the engine.

The line lock is really for burnouts, not for the launch. It locks your front brakes but releases the pressure on the rear brake so that you can spin the tires without burning up the brakes and heating the rotors up.

It will really take some time at the tree to determine what is best for your car, as well as what is best for that day and track prep. Lots of things affect the launch - a cold day and cold track will make it tough to hook up for example and will require more burnout to get the tires heated up enough. Then to avoid spinning you might have to ease into it more on that day.

I found that generally my car likes about 1700 and punch it to flash the convertor then release the brakes. It is a matter of timing on flooring it and lifting off the brake pedal to let the car roll out.

My drag radials seem to work best with 20 lbs, any lower and the car bogs and any higher and they spin. If I try to run on my street tires I have to roll into the throttle at launch or the rear tires just spin for 60' - so on street tires it is a quick spin to clean them off, then launch basically from idle with easing into the throttle the first 60'.

It takes practice to determine what is best for you and your car. Tire pressure, type of tire, how many cars have gone down the track before you, your rear control arms, and the angle of the rear control arms all affect the launch. This season I made some suspension changes early and my 60' times and ET were suffering (but the MPH was up). I kept trying different things but times still weren't where they should be. Finally at the end of the season I decided to adjust the angle on the lower control arms because I had set them to the lowest point on the relocation brackets - and that was the change I needed to get the weight transfer; the severe angle was lifting the entire car rather than shifting the weight to the back.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
The basic technique is as said. Left foot on brake, bring the RPM's up, give it gas and release the brakes.

On the stock stall convertor you won't be able to get up to 3,500 rpm. Stock is only about 2,000 maximum. If you try to stall it up to 3,500 on the automatic it will just push through the lights, or stall out the engine.

The line lock is really for burnouts, not for the launch. It locks your front brakes but releases the pressure on the rear brake so that you can spin the tires without burning up the brakes and heating the rotors up.

It will really take some time at the tree to determine what is best for your car, as well as what is best for that day and track prep. Lots of things affect the launch - a cold day and cold track will make it tough to hook up for example and will require more burnout to get the tires heated up enough. Then to avoid spinning you might have to ease into it more on that day.

I found that generally my car likes about 1700 and punch it to flash the convertor then release the brakes. It is a matter of timing on flooring it and lifting off the brake pedal to let the car roll out.

My drag radials seem to work best with 20 lbs, any lower and the car bogs and any higher and they spin. If I try to run on my street tires I have to roll into the throttle at launch or the rear tires just spin for 60' - so on street tires it is a quick spin to clean them off, then launch basically from idle with easing into the throttle the first 60'.

It takes practice to determine what is best for you and your car. Tire pressure, type of tire, how many cars have gone down the track before you, your rear control arms, and the angle of the rear control arms all affect the launch. This season I made some suspension changes early and my 60' times and ET were suffering (but the MPH was up). I kept trying different things but times still weren't where they should be. Finally at the end of the season I decided to adjust the angle on the lower control arms because I had set them to the lowest point on the relocation brackets - and that was the change I needed to get the weight transfer; the severe angle was lifting the entire car rather than shifting the weight to the back.
I would basically be launching off stock wheels Lol
Old 12-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Re: Automatic Launching on races

On stock tires and wheels then, along with stock suspension, you will likely want to ease into the throttle more then.

Otherwise you will end up on the stock wheels as you blow the tires off!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
On stock tires and wheels then, along with stock suspension, you will likely want to ease into the throttle more then.

Otherwise you will end up on the stock wheels as you blow the tires off!
+1

If you want to get into drag racing its worth it to invest in some performance rubber.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion