Tinting Windows - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Tinting Windows

I am going to tint my windows but I live in California with the strictest laws for everything. I am for sure going to get 5% in all of the back windows and this is legal. But only 70% is legal for the side windows which is practically nothing but f*** that lol. I am considering 35% on my side but I do not want to be harassed or take it off in a week. Has any one had much luck in California with side window tint? If so what percent tint did you have? I was looking at 50% but its awfully light. Any experiences or opinions?

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Instead of going 5% on the back do 10 or 15%!... Then if you do 50% or more on the sides they will better match the back!.. Neither will look as dark or as light as they are!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Re: Tinting Windows

I just got 20% an I'm paranoid cause our legal limit is 32% it looks like 30% since the interior is light. Personally I wouldn't go darker than 20%, cause then you can't see.
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I am not worried about the visibility but as far as matching I may consider going to a slightly higher percent. But I definitely will not go below 35% on the sides. 20% is far to dark for the sides. Does anyone have any experiences in California with side window tint?

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Old 12-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Just do what I did.

Step 1) Go to eye doctor
Step 2) Ask for a light sensitivity test
Step 3) Fail light sensitivity test
Step 4) Ask doctor to sign a note so you can tint your (insert any car but your mustang here) windows
Step 5) Drive to local PD
Step 6) Ask to talk to a Police Officer
Step 7) Advise the Police officer that you have a Signed Document from your local eye doctor stating that you failed a Light Sensitivity test and you are getting your windows tinted to help your driving
Step 8) Get 2% window tint
Step 9) Smile and make faces at the person next to you because they cant see you
Step 10) Repeat step 9 until you are bored

My girl... ehh, cars never leave you! stick to cars!
My name is Josh, Whats yours?
Topless04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

In California a doctors note doesn't fly. The law specifically states there are no medical exemptions to the law. I've done my research lol

The doctors note was my first idea to get by with it

Old 12-13-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah kind of impossible to avoid pigs for dark windows here California. I guess it depends on your luck. My friend got away with 5 all around for about a year on his Saleen until of course he got pulled over. But then again cops here are asses. Specially those bike cops man. Gotta love the great wine country napa valley!. (NOT)
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
A lot of places a doctors note won't do ****. I have seen a judge in court tell a guy with a doctors note, that if he needs the tint that dark then he shouldn't drive, so the judge took his license, because of the note...
tdurham19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Any other Californians have experiences with side window tinting?

Old 12-14-2011, 02:33 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
I had a 97 Camaro Z28 which I bought with dark tinted windows, I was pulled over within six months of owning the car and was given a fix it ticket. I ended up having to remove the tint and I never bothered re- tinting.
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:59 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

i love my window tint ,hope its cool w/ the cops , lol
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #12
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless04GT
Just do what I did.

Step 1) Go to eye doctor
Step 4) Ask doctor to sign a note so you can tint your (insert any car but your mustang here) windows
Step 7) Advise the Police officer that you have a Signed Document from your local eye doctor stating that you failed a Light Sensitivity test and you are getting your windows tinted to help your driving
Step 9) Smile and make faces at the person next to you because they cant see you
Haha! my doctors office is like you just need to come in and the doc will review your chart.

I've had 7 eye surguries due to a trauma in my left eye.

The state of Georgia has an exemption, but I have to file a form with the Department of public saftey. And your only allowed 20%. I think California is probably the most strict about it. I think its tint center.com that lists the laws state by state.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I just make sure when I move to a new town, I ALLLLWAYS hit up the local PD and introduce myself. I make sure i am as nice as possible. Always get on the good side, and make sure when you have a bunch of them around looking at the car, ask who you can talk to about giving a donation to the local PD.

Easy peazy lemon squeezy your now pretty much safe from not getting harrassed from the local PD. Just dont be stupid lol.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Just do what I did.

Step 1) Go to eye doctor
This... made me lol...
Old 12-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
I just make sure when I move to a new town, I ALLLLWAYS hit up the local PD and introduce myself. I make sure i am as nice as possible. Always get on the good side, and make sure when you have a bunch of them around looking at the car, ask who you can talk to about giving a donation to the local PD.

Easy peazy lemon squeezy your now pretty much safe from not getting harrassed from the local PD. Just dont be stupid lol.
Very ture in many ways. It never hurts to know them. I always wave and sometimes they will stop and talk. Most cops are great people.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Anyone from new jersey with any experience?
Daveeemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife 01GT View Post
In California a doctors note doesn't fly. The law specifically states there are no medical exemptions to the law. I've done my research lol

The doctors note was my first idea to get by with it
Sorry to disagree, but a prescription will fly in Commiefornia, BUT the tint has to be removable. My son got 35 percent of his body burned in Iraq, and he has a tint prescription. The California Highway Patrol told him that the only tint that was legal for him was the one that looks like a roll-up shade that is stuck on with suction cups. California Vehicle Code 26708(10). Yuck....
Old 12-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #18
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister07

Sorry to disagree, but a prescription will fly in Commiefornia, BUT the tint has to be removable. My son got 35 percent of his body burned in Iraq, and he has a tint prescription. The California Highway Patrol told him that the only tint that was legal for him was the one that looks like a roll-up shade that is stuck on with suction cups. California Vehicle Code 26708(10). Yuck....
Damb!..sorry about your son..but I thank him for his service!!!...much respect!..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I have decided on 50% on the side windows. I was told that mustangs come with a very light tint on the windows for uv rays. So when I put on 50% it will actually be darker than actual 50%. I have narrowed it down to two very reputable places. But each shop tints the rear window differently. The top of the rear window where the matrix(little black dots), one shop tints over this and the other shop stops the tint film at the beginning of the matrix and over the matrix he puts like a black vinyl piece of film and they claim it keeps the regular tint film from starting to bubble there. How do you guys/gals have your windows tinted and which method do you prefer?

Old 12-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

IMO i would save the money and not even bother with 50% tint.... just my .02

and that should tell you who to go to right there. What they are telling you is that shop 1 uses tine shop 2 uses vinyl

Shop 1 is confident in their work enough that they use tint for it all. if they warranty their work then this is the shop i would chose.

shop 2 is saying that they themselves probably dont have a way to adhere it properly and have had multiple people come back and eventually went to using vinyl to protect themselves.

either way I would go with whoever does the lifetime tint warranty. read the warranties. and if both, I chose shop 1.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

They both have a life time warranty. Shop 1 has been around for 30 yrs so I think I am going to go thought them. Shop 2 has been around for 7, but the guy I spoke to at shop 1 made me feel alot more confident in his work

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

Thank you everyone for your input. Much appreciated!

Old 12-15-2011, 01:01 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister07

What a prick! Your son should be able to put whatever the hell tint on his car he wants... Vet respect.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #23
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
What a prick! Your son should be able to put whatever the hell tint on his car he wants... Vet respect.
Amen!
Old 12-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Got my windows tinted today. 50% up front and 5% in the back

Old 12-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4216643956.png
Views:	170
Size:	752.6 KB
ID:	35993

Old 12-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #26
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Nice.. I wish I would've gone a tad lighter up front. I like the day light.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

What % did you get up front?

Old 12-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #28
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife 01GT
What % did you get up front?
I went with 20% all around.
Edit: Phone cut me off,
Old 12-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Nice! I wanted to do 35% but cops are crazy around here

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion