Recommendations - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Recommendations

What would you think would be better for a first car an automatic or a 5 speed gt?
DA BEAST7524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Tennessee
Re: Recommendations

depends...do you know how to drive a 5 speed? what type of area do you live in? and what kind of driving will you be doing (i.e. in town, interstate, ect)
SonicBoom239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

5 speed! Way more fun to drive.
fresh2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

5 speed

They are a lot more fun, go faster, and have slightly better gas mileage.
My 04 v6 is an automatic and I wish it was manual. When I get a Mach 1 or gt i am going to get a manual
Crafty615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:30 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty615
5 speed

They are a lot more fun, go faster, and have slightly better gas mileage.
My 04 v6 is an automatic and I wish it was manual. When I get a Mach 1 or gt i am going to get a manual
Like he said he wishes he had a manual. So get it now or you'll be in the same situation. I know I was when I had my automatic.
fresh2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh2death

Like he said he wishes he had a manual. So get it now or you'll be in the same situation. I know I was when I had my automatic.
+1
Crafty615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #7
Road Trip!

honestly i prefer an auto with a shift kit and a j mod....add in a stall and you'll have a great launching car...i've owned both styles of tranny and yeah 5 speeds are fun for a DD, but if you're about performance then auto...unless you auto x...although i know people that auto x quite well in an auto with a shift kit
Old 01-02-2012, 02:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom239
honestly i prefer an auto with a shift kit and a j mod....add in a stall and you'll have a great launching car...i've owned both styles of tranny and yeah 5 speeds are fun for a DD, but if you're about performance then auto...unless you auto x...although i know people that auto x quite well in an auto with a shift kit
(sorry for the basic ?'s but I'm new)
About how much is a shift kit? What does it do?
What is a j mod?
Old 01-02-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA BEAST7524 View Post
(sorry for the basic ?'s but I'm new)
About how much is a shift kit? What does it do?
What is a j mod?
average price of a shift kit...under $100 (more around $75 but it's been awhile since i've looked)...what it does is make the auto work better...shift firmer, and makes it last longer...a j mod does pretty much the same thing...

or you can do a shift kit and a tune with a hand held to firm the shifts up even more...for someone that likes the idea of drag racing you can't beat the consistent launches...

again it's really more about what you want to drive...NOT US

so do yourself a favor and test drive some of each
Old 01-02-2012, 02:41 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

average price of a shift kit...under $100 (more around $75 but it's been awhile since i've looked)...what it does is make the auto work better...shift firmer, and makes it last longer...a j mod does pretty much the same thing...

or you can do a shift kit and a tune with a hand held to firm the shifts up even more...for someone that likes the idea of drag racing you can't beat the consistent launches...

again it's really more about what you want to drive...NOT US

so do yourself a favor and test drive some of each
Thanks for the help. I was planning on testing out both like you said but I just wanted to see what others thought.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #11
Road Trip!

yeah i mean both transmissions will do nicely...and even i don't have a preference in the long run...i'll use whatever comes in the car i like the most
Old 01-02-2012, 02:44 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah i mean both transmissions will do nicely...and even i don't have a preference in the long run...i'll use whatever comes in the car i like the most
That's a good point. Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
A lot of people on here almost jump in and say "get the 5 speed now or you will be sorry!.." First decide what you really want then go get that!.. As for me I like to just sit back and cruise and do some drag racing!.. So I got an auto!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Basically adding to what others have said...

It really depends on your situation...I bought my mustang when I was 15, it was my first car and I had a lot of in town driving plus winter driving. So I opted for the auto. Today I wish I had gotten the manual but at the time the auto was more practical for my situation.

As said I'd take your previous driving history into account...have you driven manuals before?..a GT isn't the fastest mustang out there but there's definitely enough torque to put you in a ditch if you're new to manuals.

As said autos are still fun...a solid tune and a higher stall can really infuse your driving experience. I plan on tuning my auto this spring..it's amazing what adjustments to your ECU can do to your shift points and firmness, it's like a completely different car.

I agree with SonicBoom...go out and test drive each transmission. Feel them out...you might get into the manual and never look back.

I personally would want the 5spd in the GT...every time I've driven a manual v8 I wish my 6 had it.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
For 1st car, id say auto
shsfresh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

My first Mustang was an auto, but I was a rookie driver at 16, so an auto was perfect. After some driving experience, my next car was a 4-speed. (ya, I know... I'm old). I have since had Mustangs in both flavors. My last auto was a '97 GT that lunched the transmission at 90,000 miles. $1800 later i was back on the road.... I can change a clutch. I would never think about ripping into an automatic trans. I would say that if you are comfortable with a manual, go with it. If not, or you live in hill country, maybe the slushbox is a better plan.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion