Which is better? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Which is better?

In general, would you say that it is better to buy a car from a dealer and pay payments for a year or so or to buy from private party and pay 1 amount?
DA BEAST7524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA BEAST7524
In general, would you say that it is better to buy a car from a dealer and pay payments for a year or so or to buy from private party and pay 1 amount?
Your question is a little to vague!.. If you have enough cash to buy a car out right, then it doesn't matter if your getting it from a dealer or private party!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Your question is a little to vague!.. If you have enough cash to buy a car out right, then it doesn't matter if your getting it from a dealer or private party!..
Good point but I was wonder this cause I have enough to go either way but I was more curious about general quality from dealers vs private party
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I take it this is your first time buying?.. If so first thing you need to do is take a friend with you who knows what to look for, and who has no direct interest as to wither or not you own a car!.. As to quality, well a dealership can sell you a piece of crap just as easily as a private party!.. On the flip side a private party can easily sell you a great car just as easily as a dealership!..
Old 01-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I take it this is your first time buying?.. If so first thing you need to do is take a friend with you who knows what to look for, and who has no direct interest as to wither or not you own a car!.. As to quality, well a dealership can sell you a piece of crap just as easily as a private party!.. On the flip side a private party can easily sell you a great car just as easily as a dealership!..
Yeah it's my first time buying. And thanks for the advice
Old 01-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Also always test drive what ever car you are looking at!.. And if some thing doesn't seem right then odds are it's not!..
Old 01-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Also always test drive what ever car you are looking at!.. And if some thing doesn't seem right then odds are it's not!..
Yeah. Thats kinda what I figured but thanks again for the advice
Old 01-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA BEAST7524

Yeah. Thats kinda what I figured but thanks again for the advice
No problemo!!...
Old 01-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Dealerships mark up their prices a lot, and often that car isn't so great. I would look for a good car from a private seller personally. Just be wary and don't rush into a deal. To answer your question I say it's better to buy from a private party cause those payments at a dealership can get pretty ridiculous. My friend bought an 05 GT for 17k out the door. It was listed at 14k on their website and they face him 5k for his truck, do the math and you realized he got screwed. However that was a very shady dealer that he got it from.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF
Dealerships mark up their prices a lot, and often that car isn't so great. I would look for a good car from a private seller personally. Just be wary and don't rush into a deal. To answer your question I say it's better to buy from a private party cause those payments at a dealership can get pretty ridiculous. My friend bought an 05 GT for 17k out the door. It was listed at 14k on their website and they face him 5k for his truck, do the math and you realized he got screwed. However that was a very shady dealer that he got it from.
Thanks for the advice. I agree with the over pricing but im a lil leery about private party because when my brother got his first car he got screwed. The guy didn't tune his engine and tranny (we didn't know till it was to late) so he blow tha tranny about 3 weeks after he bought it
Old 01-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I can understand that. I've had good luck with private parties. Got my car for 8.5k with 50k miles, so yeah I've had good luck with them. The good things about dealers are they do a solid inspection on the car.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF
.The good things about dealers are they do a solid inspection on the car.
That's the only reason why I was thinking dealers
Old 01-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF
I bought both of my cars from dealerships and paid well below blue book for them!.. And I've known people who bought cars from a private parties and were really F***** over!.. Like I said earlier!.. You need to know what your looking at in either case before you strike a deal!.. Also if you get your car from a dealership and they screw you over, then there generally is more legal help out there for you!.. Where as if a private seller screws you over then your only option usually is to take them to small claims court!.. And that in the end just costs you more!.. But that also depends on what your local laws are!..
Old 01-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I agree.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
The sucky part at a dealer buy is your paying the first few years on interest alone. The privite was it more money for mods
Gtif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtif
The sucky part at a dealer buy is your paying the first few years on interest alone. The privite was it more money for mods
Just because you buy from a dealer doesn't mean your making payments!.. And just because you buy from a private party means your not going to make payments!.. That all depends on the price of the vehicle and how much cash you have on hand!.. Lol. I've known people that bought cars from private parties and still had to take out a loan and make payments on said car!.. And I've known a few people that bought cars from dealerships (they were used cars) and payed cash up front!.. Hence no car payments!.. Lol.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
If its possible, use cash either way. People like cash, and its possible to get a bit of a better deal.
soccerfreak2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerfreak2143
If its possible, use cash either way. People like cash, and its possible to get a bit of a better deal.
+11
Old 01-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I agree. Smacking cash down on the table is almost unheard of nowadays. However! Even getting stuck with a monthly payment we stang owners will still find ways to come up moola to mod our rides. That a blessing to us owners.
Gtif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: Which is better?

These days there really isn't any route that's better than another. As said you can buy a p.o.s. from a dealer just as easily as you can from a private seller. Most dealers take their trade ins and inspect them for safety issues and address only safety issues. A used car at a dealership with bald tires, soggy transmission and torn leather is sold "as is". In the end it is up to you, the buyer, to know whether the car is a good buy or not.

As said it's best to take someone with you whom you trust and knows cars to look with you. If possible, ask to take the car to your mechanic and have him look the car over.

When I was looking at F150's my salesman let me take the one I was interested in for a day...I took it to my mechanic and my body guy...both inspections checked out so I bought it the next day.

You can finance a vehicle whether you buy at a dealership or thru p.s. I always finance thru my credit union...I financed once thru the dealer for my Ranger and wouldn't do it again...the bank sold my loan 3 times in the 8 months I owned the truck. Plus the interest rate was nowhere near what I could've gotten at my credit union.

It's always best to pay cash since people are more willing to deal when they're staring at the green But as a first car it never hurts to finance some either...it's a great way to establish and start earning credit which you need for just about anything these days.

The biggest thing is only buy what you can afford and don't rush any purchase...take your time, make sure the car is clean and is what you really want.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03
These days there really isn't any route that's better than another. As said you can buy a p.o.s. from a dealer just as easily as you can from a private seller. Most dealers take their trade ins and inspect them for safety issues and address only safety issues. A used car at a dealership with bald tires, soggy transmission and torn leather is sold "as is". In the end it is up to you, the buyer, to know whether the car is a good buy or not.

As said it's best to take someone with you whom you trust and knows cars to look with you. If possible, ask to take the car to your mechanic and have him look the car over.

When I was looking at F150's my salesman let me take the one I was interested in for a day...I took it to my mechanic and my body guy...both inspections checked out so I bought it the next day.

You can finance a vehicle whether you buy at a dealership or thru p.s. I always finance thru my credit union...I financed once thru the dealer for my Ranger and wouldn't do it again...the bank sold my loan 3 times in the 8 months I owned the truck. Plus the interest rate was nowhere near what I could've gotten at my credit union.

It's always best to pay cash since people are more willing to deal when they're staring at the green But as a first car it never hurts to finance some either...it's a great way to establish and start earning credit which you need for just about anything these days.

The biggest thing is only buy what you can afford and don't rush any purchase...take your time, make sure the car is clean and is what you really want.
+1. Well said!

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion