Open headers? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
shsfresh87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 814
Open headers?

Can someone explain what they r?
shsfresh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
My understanding is Headers that don't have an exhaust system. The exhaust ends at the headers. I've been told that, that is bad for your valves. I'm sure someone here has an exhaust set up like that and they will probably call me a fool and tell me my car is ugly. Lol...
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
My understanding is Headers that don't have an exhaust system. The exhaust ends at the headers. I've been told that, that is bad for your valves. I'm sure someone here has an exhaust set up like that and they will probably call me a fool and tell me my car is ugly. Lol...
You are right about the open headers part!.. But it will only "burn out" your valves if you don't enrichen your fuel mixture!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
My understanding is Headers that don't have an exhaust system. The exhaust ends at the headers. I've been told that, that is bad for your valves. I'm sure someone here has an exhaust set up like that and they will probably call me a fool and tell me my car is ugly. Lol...
That's what it is!
OP, you'll be lucky if your car will start and run like this much less be drivable at all. Waste of time effort and headache that will follow as a result of the loud *** ****ty sound that results from open headers. If your motor is not built(cams, heads etc) and tuned its pointless.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
It will run but you just will not be able to drive it on the street!.. Basically you should only do this if you built a full on drag car!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
shsfresh87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 814
Im building my car car with long tube headers, prochamber hpipe, 4.10 gears, and a tune, those r the first mods im going to do, I also have a cold air induction, later im going to supercharger and turbo charge my 01 GT and put racing cams in it and sport cylinder heads, buts its not going to be a drag racer, I want my car for 0-60, to have fun in
shsfresh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by shsfresh87
Im building my car car with long tube headers, prochamber hpipe, 4.10 gears, and a tune, those r the first mods im going to do, I also have a cold air induction, later im going to supercharger and turbo charge my 01 GT and put racing cams in it and sport cylinder heads, buts its not going to be a drag racer, I want my car for 0-60, to have fun in
So long as you have a solid tune you'll be just fine!.. Not to mention a bada** ride!!... Lol
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 699
Dont run shorties open ull fry ur valves for sure long tubes will take longer to hurt ur valves but hsving open headers will cost u enicial torque but gain u hp in the top end so its a trade off.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
shsfresh87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 814
If it takes off power at bottom end im not going to run open headers
shsfresh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
Dont run shorties open ull fry ur valves for sure long tubes will take longer to hurt ur valves but hsving open headers will cost u enicial torque but gain u hp in the top end so its a trade off.
Once again!.. This "frying ur valves" is due to an improper tune!.. If you have a good solid tune you can run any type of exhaust you want and not "fry ur valves"!... Frying your valves happens when your car is running too lean!.. Which can happen even with a factory exhaust if you where to lean out your mixture!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Once again!.. This "frying ur valves" is due to an improper tune!.. If you have a good solid tune you can run any type of exhaust you want and not "fry ur valves"!... Frying your valves happens when your car is running too lean!.. Which can happen even with a factory exhaust if you where to lean out your mixture!..
+ 1
1fstgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 699
Ur also forgetting about the problems that occure from running with out suficiant back pressure when running open headers but neather hear nore there because every mod requirs "more then u think" to make them work perfictlly what one should focus on primarlly is what the cars going to be used for u wouldnt run open headers in a dd (cop magnet trust me lol) build ur list of mods from that and if building a track car u usually should fallow the rules of the class u want to run
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
shsfresh87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 814
My dads a retired police Captain so im safe in Charleston WV, and its starting to sound like open headers r more trouble then they r worth
shsfresh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
Ur also forgetting about the problems that occure from running with out suficiant back pressure when running open headers but neather hear nore there because every mod requirs "more then u think" to make them work perfictlly what one should focus on primarlly is what the cars going to be used for u wouldnt run open headers in a dd (cop magnet trust me lol) build ur list of mods from that and if building a track car u usually should fallow the rules of the class u want to run
I did a Myths about "Back-Pressure" post in the the General Mustang section!.. Sorry but I don't know how to do a link to it!.. But I do suggest reading it!..

It just might take you 20 min. to read through it though!.. Lol

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by shsfresh87
My dads a retired police Captain so im safe in Charleston WV, and its starting to sound like open headers r more trouble then they r worth
On the street yes they are!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

I did a Myths about "Back-Pressure" post in the the General Mustang section!.. Sorry but I don't know how to do a link to it!.. But I do suggest reading it!..

It just might take you 20 min. to read through it though!.. Lol

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------



On the street yes they are!..
In that thread, they use a front wheel drive car with ZERO 'control factors' not discredit the your post, but even the writer says its not controlled OR scientific. Weren't you saying before that if you need a tune after getting zero back pressure there was something else wrong? Smh..
You could help ppl a lot better and easier if you had some actual exp of your own. Not being an ***, but your flip flopping your stance, and confusing. Anyone can copy/paste someone else's 'opinion' which what that myths thread was with zero controls and not following scientific methods. It was interesting and on the right path to a certain extent but far from 100% accurate.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

In that thread, they use a front wheel drive car with ZERO 'control factors' not discredit the your post, but even the writer says its not controlled OR scientific. Weren't you saying before that if you need a tune after getting zero back pressure there was something else wrong? Smh..
You could help ppl a lot better and easier if you had some actual exp of your own. Not being an ***, but your flip flopping your stance, and confusing. Anyone can copy/paste someone else's 'opinion' which what that myths thread was with zero controls and not following scientific methods. It was interesting and on the right path to a certain extent but far from 100% accurate.
First off I do have my own experiance!.. Secondly zero back pressure is ideal!.. With that being said in order to maximize performance and to keep from burning out your valves (from running too lean) a tune is needed!.. I've done no flip flopping here!..

So you might want to reread what all I've posted before saying I'm flip flopping!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

First off I do have my own experiance!.. Secondly zero back pressure is ideal!.. With that being said in order to maximize performance and to keep from burning out your valves (from running too lean) a tune is needed!.. I've done no flip flopping here!..

So you might want to reread what all I've posted before saying I'm flip flopping!..
We've been through and through this. If zero was optimal EVERYONE with a hot rod, track car, or street warrior would be running no headers or open headers. If you've never ran a YOUR Mustang w/ open headers or w/o your cat back then you don't have particular exp I'm referring to. You did tell dude with the Dodge pick that deleted the mufflers who had to get a tune afterward for it to run right something else was wrong. I'm not arguing with anyone, and not trying to be dramatic at all. Like I said to many others, what I'm telling you is my personal exp in this matter, with two different mustangs. Even my wife will tell you my car ran like *** w/o the cat back, and that's all I'm saying and all I'm going to say and invite you to go unbolt yours and report back as to what you find.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

We've been through and through this. If zero was optimal EVERYONE with a hot rod, track car, or street warrior would be running no headers or open headers. If you've never ran a YOUR Mustang w/ open headers or w/o your cat back then you don't have particular exp I'm referring to. You did tell dude with the Dodge pick that deleted the mufflers who had to get a tune afterward for it to run right something else was wrong. I'm not arguing with anyone, and not trying to be dramatic at all. Like I said to many others, what I'm telling you is my personal exp in this matter, with two different mustangs. Even my wife will tell you my car ran like *** w/o the cat back, and that's all I'm saying and all I'm going to say and invite you to go unbolt yours and report back as to what you find.
Mine did great with open headers, I prefer running a mid pipe to avoid the risk of burning my valves. What a lot of people mistake as back pressure is velocity. I put my cat back back on last week and it's noticeably slower on take off.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

We've been through and through this. If zero was optimal EVERYONE with a hot rod, track car, or street warrior would be running no headers or open headers. If you've never ran a YOUR Mustang w/ open headers or w/o your cat back then you don't have particular exp I'm referring to. You did tell dude with the Dodge pick that deleted the mufflers who had to get a tune afterward for it to run right something else was wrong. I'm not arguing with anyone, and not trying to be dramatic at all. Like I said to many others, what I'm telling you is my personal exp in this matter, with two different mustangs. Even my wife will tell you my car ran like *** w/o the cat back, and that's all I'm saying and all I'm going to say and invite you to go unbolt yours and report back as to what you find.
A buddy of mine ran his car with open headers without updating the tune!.. No problem!.. His car is a '96 Cobra!.. It's idle was a bit rough but it still ran!.. As far as the guy with the Dodge!.. Some thing else had to be wrong with his truck!.. I never knew a car that would not run right just because your muffler was gone!!... Hahahaha. I've driven cars without mufflers and didn't have a problem!.. I've also driven a couple of cars where from the cat back was completely gone and they never missed a beat!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
shsfresh87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 814
U dont need a catalytic converter or muffler
shsfresh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by shsfresh87
U dont need a catalytic converter or muffler
+1

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Only thing factory cats and mufflers really do is create resistance!.. But for the sake of argument we'll just keep calling it back pressure!.. Lol
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
shsfresh87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 814
They also rob u of horsepower and sound
shsfresh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

Mine did great with open headers, I prefer running a mid pipe to avoid the risk of burning my valves. What a lot of people mistake as back pressure is velocity. I put my cat back back on last week and it's noticeably slower on take off.
*confused* because when I took my cat back off my power mover up in the RPM's and lost take off. Also when we took the tail pipes off and went to turn downs It too moved the power up in the band and lost take off, seat of the pants anyway lol
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

+1

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Only thing factory cats and mufflers really do is create resistance!.. But for the sake of argument we'll just keep calling it back pressure!.. Lol
Discussing, not arguing. I discuss because I can learn and move on, arguing is when both parties refuse budge of their stance. Personally I learn on here everyday.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #25
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 699
This may not pertain to piston engines but im assumming none of u have experience with a wankle rotary. They are balls weak with open exhaust or no cats/mufflers and run like Junk because of no back pressure. I have exp running open headers on my 302 i also have exp running streaght pypes out the side in the 3in from the headers variaty and now run mufflers. Now theres a reason i put mufflers on care to take a crack at it? Ill give u a hint its got nothing to do with street use or sound i prefered the sound pure!
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

*confused* because when I took my cat back off my power mover up in the RPM's and lost take off. Also when we took the tail pipes off and went to turn downs It too moved the power up in the band and lost take off, seat of the pants anyway lol
I know the 94-95 gt's are really weird about mods, same with the 96-up. I loved how my car ran with open headers but it was waaaaay too loud for a DD, and I don't like risking my valves if I don have to.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
This may not pertain to piston engines but im assumming none of u have experience with a wankle rotary. They are balls weak with open exhaust or no cats/mufflers and run like Junk because of no back pressure. I have exp running open headers on my 302 i also have exp running streaght pypes out the side in the 3in from the headers variaty and now run mufflers. Now theres a reason i put mufflers on care to take a crack at it? Ill give u a hint its got nothing to do with street use or sound i prefered the sound pure!
Hell the wankel was lucky to run at all, I don't think normal laws apply to that marvel at all. Lol
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

*confused* because when I took my cat back off my power mover up in the RPM's and lost take off. Also when we took the tail pipes off and went to turn downs It too moved the power up in the band and lost take off, seat of the pants anyway lol
With every mod you make there is the possibility of your power band moving either up or down!.. One mod it moves up and another mod can move it back down!.. You just got to know what is going to do what!.. And some times all you can do is just experiment some!.. Lol
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #28
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

I know the 94-95 gt's are really weird about mods, same with the 96-up. I loved how my car ran with open headers but it was waaaaay too loud for a DD, and I don't like risking my valves if I don have to.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------



Hell the wankel was lucky to run at all, I don't think normal laws apply to that marvel at all. Lol
I know right lol just thought id throw it in for fun lmao!!

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Ps the wankel kept stalling out with streaght pipes lol pit mufflers back on ran smooth as silk
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Discussing, not arguing. I discuss because I can learn and move on, arguing is when both parties refuse budge of their stance. Personally I learn on here everyday.
Seems to me that me and you are getting off on the wrong foot some how!.. I have no problem with discussing and even a friendly debate!.. I'm not here to argue even though I may come across that way at times!.. Lol. I'm simply here to chat, discuss, and learn!.. Lol

Thought I would try to clarify before it got ugly!!... Hahahaha
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #30
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 699
Uglys in the basement dont worry bout it i think most members hear know communacation is limited to letters on a screen and like a magnet to that screen stuff gets distorted.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk

I know right lol just thought id throw it in for fun lmao!!

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Ps the wankel kept stalling out with streaght pipes lol pit mufflers back on ran smooth as silk
Lol, I had one for a while, those things were more sensitive than the 94-95 gt but they run forever.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
Uglys in the basement dont worry bout it i think most members hear know communacation is limited to letters on a screen and like a magnet to that screen stuff gets distorted.
True but there is still few that look for ways to pick a fight!.. And it's usually over some stupid BS!!... There is one in-particular that I keep running into from time to time and that's all he wants to do!.. Create BS drama and pick fights!.. Personally I'm here to talk Mustangs and how to modify them to make them better!.. Lol
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #33
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 699
Some ppl r just trolls.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
o2 sensor help new headers problem shaloubin Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 11 01-22-2014 10:44 PM
Ordered headers today, but.....? WhiteCobra94 1979-1995 Mustang GT 2 01-02-2012 11:29 PM
Headers ? Taxman 1979-1995 Mustang GT 9 12-11-2011 10:54 AM
headers Robbie94gt 1979-1995 Mustang GT 21 12-09-2011 08:59 PM
A question about longtube headers Blackedout Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 6 09-12-2011 07:12 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



08:44 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.