Paint prep - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #1

Region: Canada
Paint prep

I have started to sand down the body on my 66 mustang. I am going right down to bare metal. Found several layers of paint from the original white, yellow primer, darker yellow, toupe green, white, red oxide primer and even found blue on one part.

But my questions is. What grade of sand paper do I finish with once I hit bare metal before I prime. 180 or 220?

Then after I prime I sand that out with 320?
Edm_mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Paint prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edm_mikey View Post
I have started to sand down the body on my 66 mustang. I am going right down to bare metal. Found several layers of paint from the original white, yellow primer, darker yellow, toupe green, white, red oxide primer and even found blue on one part.

But my questions is. What grade of sand paper do I finish with once I hit bare metal before I prime. 180 or 220?

Why are you going down to bare metal? And I wouldn't sand with anything more coarse than 400grit wet paper. Keep the area you're sanding extremely wet because it cleans the sandpaper. Finally sanding i would go with 1000+ grit after you prime.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #3

I am going down to bare metal because there is rust and body work done all over and want to find all of it.

Found bondo in places that didn't need it. No dents or major scratches.

And I want to start from bare metal and do things right. Fix all of the problem areas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edm_mikey

have you considered getting it sand blasted.it may not cost so much and will definatly save some work.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #5

I have a syphon feed sand blaster that I will use for some areas that are hard to reach with a sander.

The rest I will use the rotary sander.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion