Detailing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Detailing

Hello,
When I bought my stang last may from dealer it was very shiny all summer long. Now it was some very very light, hard to see scratches from washing it. It still looks shiny now but it looked a bit better wen I first got it.
My mustang has been stored all winter long and I will be taking it out this week. How much would it cost if I tell I the dealer to wax and polish it? (or watever they do to make the paint look brand new)
I've never done any waxing so I am scare to ruin the paint or scratch the car.
Thank you
Mustang240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Re: Detailing

First off......what process do you use when washing it?
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
You should use a micro fiber sponge that is clean and a clean bucket, never go you a auto wash and secondly it sounds normal, the wax or sealer from when the dealer had it detailed is wearing off, wash and wax and you should be good

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I usually wash it by first spraying it with water. Then I use a sponge dip it in a bucket full of at soap and just squeeze it on top of car. Then I just wash away the soap and dry it. I tried using microfiber towels but they don't dry the car as well.
Can someone tell me if the dealer will wax my car for me and if so how much he would do it for. I never waxed and don't want to ruin the paint.
Thanks everyone

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

In addition, I was thinking off washing my car in a touch less car wash. Is it ok bcz I can't think of a way it could scratch the paint
Old 03-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Honestly, you'll be fine using a soft cotton towel to dry your car - I use a $20 shammy from AutoZone, and it's good for getting large globs of water off the car, but to dry it completely I'll lightly go over it with a towel. My mustang is black, so everything shows, but I haven't scratched it yet doing it this way.

Don't be afraid to wash your car - it's not going to scratch it up and ruin it. If it's dirty, scrub it with a sponge and soap/wax combo.

Look into clay bars as well, they work wonders.
ghst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang240 View Post
I usually wash it by first spraying it with water. Then I use a sponge dip it in a bucket full of at soap and just squeeze it on top of car. Then I just wash away the soap and dry it. I tried using microfiber towels but they don't dry the car as well.
Can someone tell me if the dealer will wax my car for me and if so how much he would do it for. I never waxed and don't want to ruin the paint.
Thanks everyone

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

In addition, I was thinking off washing my car in a touch less car wash. Is it ok bcz I can't think of a way it could scratch the paint
Its hard to ruin your paint with wax. But if you want to get it dont professionally, and to actually get a good wax. Go to a deatiler, make sure they will hand wash it first, then clay bar, then hand wax and polish/buff. It will cost you, but it will also keep the shine a lot longer than if you just take it through one of those auto washers and get it done. Im getting mine done as we speak and it will probably cost ~$300 for interior and exterior full wash/claybar/wax/polish.
WillysYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
A squeege works good removing the intial water left on after rinsing .. Then use a microfiber or soft cotton towel .. Heck a leaf blower works well too especially in crooks and cranny's doorjams and such...
kjunitalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

$300 sounds like a lot!!! I may still do it though.
And ya I have a fear of washing my car.
There are some tiny scratches on it which only I can see, no one else can see them. Lol

Anyways can someone please tell me exactly what to buy to wax wash and clay my car.
I don't think we have autozone here but I have canadian tire. So it would be great to tell me wat products to buy.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
Regular
Supporter

First off you can't just use a bucket of soap and water and think that it won't scratch your paint. There is even a proper way to use that bucket and a proper way to wash it. Never leave your sponge or microfiber mitt just sitting in the bucket,this will cause it to collect grit which put those tiny little scratches on your paint. You can either keep the wash mitt out of the bucket at all times or get a 2 bucket setup with grit guards. You are also gonna want a good soap that stays nice and slippery at all times,this will also prevent scratches. Wash from top to bottom because the bottom of the car is where all the road grime will be. Use a sheeting method when rinsing to insure the least amount of water spots. My advice on this next one is.......NEVER use a cotton towel.....no matter how soft you think it is,it will scratch your paint. Use a good Chamois (I recommend a Water Sprite) or micro fiber cloth. Use can also use a blower like someone stated above.

Don't be afraid to clay or wax. It is a super easy process and you can find tons of how to videos on YouTube or go to the Adams website....their videos are awesome!!

Good luck!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
First off you can't just use a bucket of soap and water and think that it won't scratch your paint. There is even a proper way to use that bucket and a proper way to wash it. Never leave your sponge or microfiber mitt just sitting in the bucket,this will cause it to collect grit which put those tiny little scratches on your paint. You can either keep the wash mitt out of the bucket at all times or get a 2 bucket setup with grit guards. You are also gonna want a good soap that stays nice and slippery at all times,this will also prevent scratches. Wash from top to bottom because the bottom of the car is where all the road grime will be. Use a sheeting method when rinsing to insure the least amount of water spots. My advice on this next one is.......NEVER use a cotton towel.....no matter how soft you think it is,it will scratch your paint. Use a good Chamois (I recommend a Water Sprite) or micro fiber cloth. Use can also use a blower like someone stated above.

Don't be afraid to clay or wax. It is a super easy process and you can find tons of how to videos on YouTube or go to the Adams website....their videos are awesome!!

Good luck!
Thank you soo much. But I have one more question. I tried a chamois but it doesn't dry at all it leave water spots everywhere
Old 03-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang240 View Post
Thank you soo much. But I have one more question. I tried a chamois but it doesn't dry at all it leave water spots everywhere
You are gonna get some water streaks from whatever you use,kinda unavoidable. After each wash and Chamois I will always wait for the car to dry completely. I then use a instant detailer spray and some microfiber towels to get rid of any leftover water spots or streaks. This gives it a super clean look.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Part of the excitement of owning a nice car is keeping it clean inside and out ... Do it ur self cuz ur the one that knows how u like it ...
Old 03-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #13
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjunitalian View Post
Part of the excitement of owning a nice car is keeping it clean inside and out ... Do it ur self cuz ur the one that knows how u like it ...
+1!
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

It never gets dirty. I don't drive it when it's raining and i store it in winter. But I just want it extremely shiny. And to everyone who responded thank u. I think I will have enough confidence to wax and clay it this weekend.
But what should I buy from Canadian tire? It would be great if u can be specific with brands for each product.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I use the california water blade to dry my car, I use to detail cars and never had a problem using it, just keep it clean, secondly they make microfiber drying towels that are huge and super absorbent, I recommend waxing your own car, you get to inspect it while you wax it and you can really mess it up just use microfiber everything and keep everything clean and off the ground

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol
I use the california water blade to dry my car, I use to detail cars and never had a problem using it, just keep it clean, secondly they make microfiber drying towels that are huge and super absorbent, I recommend waxing your own car, you get to inspect it while you wax it and you can really mess it up just use microfiber everything and keep everything clean and off the ground
Yeah microfibers will pick up anything if it hits the ground .. Gotta be careful
Old 03-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #17
Regular
Supporter

You can get a simple mothers clay bar kit and some Mothers or another quality wax. Just remember to apply it to a cool surface and don't wash or wax in direct sunlight.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ok sweet I'll get them today. Btw wat is the difference between waxing and polishing. Do I need to do both if my car is 5 months old?
Thanks
Old 03-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #19
Regular
Supporter

You will be just fine with a hand wax. If you are going to polish without a machine it's a waste of time. Being that your car is only 5 months old,a good hand wax will do the trick.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You will be just fine with a hand wax. If you are going to polish without a machine it's a waste of time. Being that your car is only 5 months old,a good hand wax will do the trick.
Thank u very much. And thanks to everyone who helped me out. I'll post some pics after I'm done waxing.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #21
Regular
Supporter

Wax dat *** son!........good luck!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wax dat *** son!........good luck!
Lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion