IDIOT Driver Rant - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
IDIOT Driver Rant

4 days and now I'm finally mad. I will no longer be understanding, this is me PO'd and sounding off.

First off..hang up the cell phone and drive. If you think that you deserve some special treatment or are entitled to multi-task and drive, well sweetie you have another thing coming.

Second...Pay attention to stop signs they are there for a reason. Learning right of ways will help you out as well. Both of these will help you avoid accidents and save your life.

Third...Take accountability and responsibility for your actions and the world will be a much better place.

Friday afternoon while running errands before heading home. An individual driving a 05' Grand Am decided that stop signs and oncoming traffic where someone elses concern and in doing so remodeled my front end as well as the interior of my new 2011 GT.

The frustration started when he tried to inform his insurance agent that I was speeding, then telling this to the fire fighters, EMT's and police officers that were on scene. More frustration when I am being given grief because of the damage done to his vehicle as a result of the impact, then more still when I'm listening to him rant about me being checked out but those on the scene when I hit him.

It is true that I struck his vehicle as he decided to enter oncoming westbound traffic to make a left hand (eastbound) turn in front of me. This did have him pinned is his vehicle for a bit until he managed to shove it open, further into mine and crawl out over the hood of my car. The horn of my car (as a result of the impact) did get stuck on and was going off in his ear for about 10 minutes...oops my bad.

After about an hour of police officers, fire fighters, EMT's, tow trucks and witnesses; he left the with a ticket for failure to yield. According to is agent his vehicle is a total loss, but he suffered no real injury; also stating since there was ticket issued they are taking full responsibility...YEAH good news!

I am happy to say that I walked away with minor injuries, mostly burns from the airbags deploying, some trouble with my left shoulder from the airbag and impact and bruises on my chest from the seat belt doing its job. Thank you Ford Crash Safety testing!

Ok enough grumbling, just needed to get it off my chest.

Now for the other heartbreak...I look at my poor car (who did such a great job of protecting me) and just makes me sad. I haven't heard back from the body shop yet as to the extent of the damage. When I went by there yesterday rough guess on the front end was 7500, then he opened the driver side door and went well...I'll have to check further on the airbags and how they need to be replaced. Looks like at the very least new front seat, steering wheel, driver side door...so give me two days to pull it apart and I'll let you know.

Here are some of the pics we got Friday and yesterday...person standing against the wall texting on his phone...yep you guessed it the knob that hit me...put up the phone already!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3b.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	42747   Click image for larger version

Name:	417368_2722048303413_1623261045_2090567_4216863_n.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	42748  

Name:	429645_2722051983505_1623261045_2090569_1916213042_n.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	42749   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2a.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	985.6 KB
ID:	42750  

Name:	photo 1a.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	42751   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1b.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	42752  

Name:	425405_2722049863452_1623261045_2090568_651226285_n.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	42754  
OutlawJosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Re: IDIOT Driver Rant

Make sure you get money for the depreciation value on your car. This will come in handy when you trade her in,unless you decide to spend it on mods.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I understand ur frustration. But wat can u do? There will always be some dumb drivers.
Think of the good side, noone was hurt except that poor stang.

Hopefully u can get it fixed soon.

Goodluck
Mustang240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Glad your ok! Really stinks about the car though I'd be mad to, to many careless ppl driving
znpzmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Already working on diminished value. Have to wait until the repair estimate comes back, then appraisal once repairs are complete. Best guess is a hit of about 8-9k in depreciation from the accident. BOO
Old 03-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
First off glad to hear you're ok!! Secondly, a few tears for the car... Sorry it happened, hopefully you have a good body shop that will make it look like it did before the wreck. Secondly, I hope that mr cell-phone-is-more-important-than-driving gets what he deserves. Likely not but I hope so.

Everytime I get cut off or something ridiculous, it's by someone that feels like driving is not the most important thing they are doing while they're driving. I feel your aggravation.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Region: Louisiana

so sorry to hear. it scares the crap out of me everytime i drive to think about all the idiots out there. the depreciation factor is def. the suckiest part about it. i went thru the same thing in my 04 when i got in a wreck almost equivalent to yours.

hope everything works out for you and you get the money you deserve. hate to say it, but IMO best thing that could happen is total loss and get a new pony with no depreciation, but i doubt that...
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
First off glad to hear you're ok!! Secondly, a few tears for the car... Sorry it happened, hopefully you have a good body shop that will make it look like it did before the wreck. Secondly, I hope that mr cell-phone-is-more-important-than-driving gets what he deserves. Likely not but I hope so.

Everytime I get cut off or something ridiculous, it's by someone that feels like driving is not the most important thing they are doing while they're driving. I feel your aggravation.
I am hugely thankful that there were no serious injuries and no trips to the hospital. I do have a nasty pop in my shoulder when I move it but this will heal in time.

As for the idiots on the road...well...what can you do.

I'm just bummed that it is estimated at 5 weeks to get my car back, this from the most reputable body shop in town. Thankfully they will NEVER use anything but OEM unless you instruct them otherwise. I know she will be well taken care of...maybe I should have them paint my stripes on while she is there
Old 03-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawJosey

I am hugely thankful that there were no serious injuries and no trips to the hospital. I do have a nasty pop in my shoulder when I move it but this will heal in time.

As for the idiots on the road...well...what can you do.

I'm just bummed that it is estimated at 5 weeks to get my car back, this from the most reputable body shop in town. Thankfully they will NEVER use anything but OEM unless you instruct them otherwise. I know she will be well taken care of...maybe I should have them paint my stripes on while she is there
I don't know how your shop feels about it but I've heard of plenty of times when people will have a body shop do some aftermarket work while they are doing the rest of the work, save yourself sometime of installing it yourself and I think I would deter labor costs too if they just use the warranty money. Just ask them.

One big lesson I learned in the military is ask anything you want because the worst thing they can say is no.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TRV6 View Post
so sorry to hear. it scares the crap out of me everytime i drive to think about all the idiots out there. the depreciation factor is def. the suckiest part about it. i went thru the same thing in my 04 when i got in a wreck almost equivalent to yours.

hope everything works out for you and you get the money you deserve. hate to say it, but IMO best thing that could happen is total loss and get a new pony with no depreciation, but i doubt that...
His insurance company called today to check on me to see what claims I may be filing in addition to the repairs, I was advised not to mention diminished value ever in conversation with them, just to present them with a demand letter when I was ready. They did ask if I was going to file a personal injury claim....again was advised not to say anything. Its sad that you have to deal with them in this manner. As for total loss the repair would have to come back for roughly 19K before that will happen...so not likely.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Little frame damage and upwards of 1500$ per frame damage you could easily see it written off. I was quoted 6k for repairs to a rearend hit I suffered and by the time they were done they put over 11k into repairs. Car was worth 8 grand. But I've seen 16k cars get totaled over airbags and light front end damage.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Welcome to the club!

Name:	image-2980126143.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	42768$8,800 worth of damage.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
Little frame damage and upwards of 1500$ per frame damage you could easily see it written off. I was quoted 6k for repairs to a rearend hit I suffered and by the time they were done they put over 11k into repairs. Car was worth 8 grand. But I've seen 16k cars get totaled over airbags and light front end damage.
The body shop called and said it could be repaired, estimates with what they could see and get to was right at 10K. He said that there were only a few items that were listed as "repair" most everything was a complete replacement; of those that could be repaired if they got in there and determined it could not then it would be replaced.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas

Good luck, I hope everything goes well on your way to getting your car fixed...

07 Roush 427R, Brembo 14" rotor and four piston calipers

05 GT Mustang, FRPP, FR X pipe, Hurst short throw,
American Racing Torque Thrust 10X20 wheels,
Granettelli tower brace, custom painted flat black grafix, Yellow Optima
Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Welcome to the club!
Attachment 42768$8,800 worth of damage.
Sorry that there has to be this club and both of us are a part of it
Old 03-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawJosey View Post
Sorry that there has to be this club and both of us are a part of it
Yea, I don't want to be apart of your club.
SR Performance Short Throw Shifter
Mezmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion