Synthetic swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sully604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Other
Posts: 20
Synthetic swap

Thoughts on Royal Purple? Going to do engine and tranny wondering what else is worth switching?
Sully604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
dmax8709's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 413
I read the Mobil 1 advanced syn is much better
dmax8709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rm360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,140
I also use Mobil 1 synthetic in all my cars love it
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
dmax8709's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 413
I was just using the standard motorcraft 5w20. Next oil changed Im swapping to the Mobil 1 advanced syn. I was gonna go with royal purple til i did some reading and comparing the 2
dmax8709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
BaSohol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 2,789
Mobil 1 or royal purple are both good oils any negative info on either is from the crap amsoil puts out!
__________________

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
belpreboss2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax8709
I was just using the standard motorcraft 5w20. Next oil changed Im swapping to the Mobil 1 advanced syn. I was gonna go with royal purple til i did some reading and comparing the 2
What info did you find if ya don't mind me asking?
belpreboss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
dmax8709's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 413
I google'd "what's the best motor oils" ill try to find the site i went to and post it. Nothing was negative about royal purple it was just Mobil 1 was slightly better
dmax8709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
belpreboss2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 38
My dad sells Royal Purple industrial oils. He can also get his hands on motor oils and they gave him a machine called falex machine. It test the film strength of the oil. He has done multiple test and Mobil 1 is one of the worst when it comes to film strength. They have demos on YouTube with this machine
belpreboss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
dmax8709's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 413
All the independent studies i read about it said Mobil 1 was better than royal purple. I just google'd it and read a bunch of different studies
dmax8709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
belpreboss2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 38
I was just wondering what made them better

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpreboss2010
I was just wondering what made them better
Everyone one has there own preference...
belpreboss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
For normal road use your pretty safe. Mobil 1 is good oil but castrol syntec is rated better. royal purple is great but not worth the price.
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by belpreboss2010
My dad sells Royal Purple industrial oils. He can also get his hands on motor oils and they gave him a machine called falex machine. It test the film strength of the oil. He has done multiple test and Mobil 1 is one of the worst when it comes to film strength. They have demos on YouTube with this machine
What is film strength and what makes it so important?
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
dmax8709's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
For normal road use your pretty safe. Mobil 1 is good oil but castrol syntec is rated better. royal purple is great but not worth the price.
I was talking performance wise
dmax8709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
belpreboss2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 38
Oil leaves a film on parts it comes in contact with. Film strength is the oils ability to keep metal part separated. With lower film strength oils, the two metal surfaces heat up and can scare. Higher film strength will produce less heat and less wear on parts
belpreboss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax8709

I was talking performance wise
You won't notice any difference in power between decent oils.
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
dmax8709's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude

You won't notice any difference in power between decent oils.
Yea i knew i wouldn't see any hp gain or anything it was just saying for performance cars it works better. Ill have to read back up to see y
dmax8709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax8709

Yea i knew i wouldn't see any hp gain or anything it was just saying for performance cars it works better. Ill have to read back up to see y
In higher compression and forced induction cars yes. The mustangs engine tolerances are not that tight...
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
dmax8709's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude

In higher compression and forced induction cars yes. The mustangs engine tolerances are not that tight...
Ok so y'all r saying not that much difference between Mobil 1 advanced syn and royal purple?
dmax8709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
belpreboss2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 38
It all depends on who you ask.
belpreboss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
dmax8709's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 413
I know Mobil 1 is a dollar cheaper a qt than royal purple. Which that isn't relevant for me but is to some people. Both have great reputations. Will it be personal preference ? Or is one actually better than the other? My oil change is coming up real soon and Im trying to figure out which one. Also i been using motorcraft oil filters, should i change it too?
dmax8709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #21
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by belpreboss2010
Oil leaves a film on parts it comes in contact with. Film strength is the oils ability to keep metal part separated. With lower film strength oils, the two metal surfaces heat up and can scare. Higher film strength will produce less heat and less wear on parts
Thanks, learn something new everyday
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:04 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax8709
I know Mobil 1 is a dollar cheaper a qt than royal purple. Which that isn't relevant for me but is to some people. Both have great reputations. Will it be personal preference ? Or is one actually better than the other? My oil change is coming up real soon and Im trying to figure out which one. Also i been using motorcraft oil filters, should i change it too?
Filter is very important. Frak or better imo
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
head intake swap checklist 5.slow 1979-1995 Mustang GT 21 05-07-2012 09:02 PM
A question of a swap Blackedout Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 0 03-15-2012 11:31 AM
5.4 swap saxxx 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 28 03-13-2012 06:55 PM
Old 5.0 swap into 2002gt 02PONY 1996-2004 Mustang GT 8 03-12-2012 06:49 PM
351 swap Taxman 1979-1995 Mustang GT 12 03-12-2012 08:42 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



06:29 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.