bad gas... octane booster??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
bad gas... octane booster???

So i got a bad tank of gas and the car is pinging down low and at wot. i have never used an octane booster but I've got auto x on Sunday. anyone recommend anything?? i think i only need to raise it a few points...
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I would
Old 04-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #3

Region: Virginia
I use octane booster quite often. I use them like every 8th fill up to clean out my system. These boosters will improve the fuel system and help remove the pinging sound your hearing. With that said, where do you normally fill up at? What octane level do you normally use?
SNK3BTE04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNK3BTE04
I use octane booster quite often. I use them like every 8th fill up to clean out my system. These boosters will improve the fuel system and help remove the pinging sound your hearing. With that said, where do you normally fill up at? What octane level do you normally use?
91 is all i can get. i bought a tank from a different station last night and the car was running like **** in a few miles. what octane booster do you use?
Old 04-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude

91 is all i can get. i bought a tank from a different station last night and the car was running like **** in a few miles. what octane booster do you use?
I use the 104 brand normally. I use Sunoco gas or Shell for 93 octane. Sucks 91 is the highest u got out there.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: bad gas... octane booster???

Any of those octane boosters you buy won't do crap for your car. They're a gimick...expensive...but don't work.

Best best is to drain and start over, other option is to add some torco to fix the issue. Not cheap either way but definitely the best way.

Look on the bottle and see how much it will take to actually raise the octane rating of 15 gallons of gas. You'll spend $100 for 1 point raised in octane rating.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
Any of those octane boosters you buy won't do crap for your car. They're a gimick...expensive...but don't work.

Best best is to drain and start over, other option is to add some torco to fix the issue. Not cheap either way but definitely the best way.

Look on the bottle and see how much it will take to actually raise the octane rating of 15 gallons of gas. You'll spend $100 for 1 point raised in octane rating.
This sounds about right from what i have read about the octane boosters too! They sound like they are more for peace of mind rather than actually do any good for your car.
mi03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi03svt

This sounds about right from what i have read about the octane boosters too! They sound like they are more for peace of mind rather than actually do any good for your car.
Had a highway trip with it today and i set the tune to run a little less timing. burned off most of the tank no problem. ill get some good stuff in it asap.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn

I don't use it for octane booster considering I always use 93 anyways.... I do use it to clean out my system which does help.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

Correct. Octane booster raises barely a point. You could drain it or drive a little and keep filling until its all 91. Sorry this happened to ya'

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I use the see through bottle of 104 octane booster it helps me out pretty good they sell it at autozone and some advanced auto parts store
Gobabygo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Highest octane i have is 89
Tylercribbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if by "bad gas" you got 89 instead of 93 they make additives that can raise the octane up, but it wont be found in a little plastic thing as said above, those dont really work.

If its water or something else DRAIN IT asap and fill it back up with fresh gas.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
And after that use b12 gas treatment. Find it at walmart and plus don't get it on your paint.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion