Help/advice with project - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Help/advice with project

So for my senior project im going to rebuild my engine and forge out my bottom end. I was originally panning on paying a shop to do this for me but since senior project is coming up and I really don't have any other interests besides cars, I'm going to do it my self with the help of a family friend/mechanic. I know it won't be easy but I really want to do all the work my self. I'll turn up the boost and make before and after passes at the track to show my results.

So here's my questions: do I really have to take the engine out of the car to remove the rods or can I work from under the oil pan?

Other than the pistons and rods and bearings I'll be replacing, and gaskets and spark plugs, what else should I replace? Am I missing something?

I'm going to be starting this summer so I want to be ready. I'll be ordering all the parts soon so anything I'm missing please fill in. Thanks guys.
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Help/advice with project

if you have never done this I would not start on your own car. you will end up spending money for forged parts etc etc and then the engine will have issues, might mess up all the stuff you have installed and you will just have to start all over again.

Consider buying an engine like yours out of a junk yard, rebuilding it instead~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
if you have never done this I would not start on your own car. you will end up spending money for forged parts etc etc and then the engine will have issues, might mess up all the stuff you have installed and you will just have to start all over again.

Consider buying an engine like yours out of a junk yard, rebuilding it instead~
That's why I'm going to have the mechanic around to make sure I keep doing everything right. Hes done it hundreds of times and he could probably do it for me in a day. But that's just not the point though. But buying a junk yard engine is probably a good idea. How much do they usually cost? 4.6 4v v8?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt View Post
So for my senior project im going to rebuild my engine and forge out my bottom end. I was originally panning on paying a shop to do this for me but since senior project is coming up and I really don't have any other interests besides cars, I'm going to do it my self with the help of a family friend/mechanic. I know it won't be easy but I really want to do all the work my self. I'll turn up the boost and make before and after passes at the track to show my results.

So here's my questions: do I really have to take the engine out of the car to remove the rods or can I work from under the oil pan?

Other than the pistons and rods and bearings I'll be replacing, and gaskets and spark plugs, what else should I replace? Am I missing something?

I'm going to be starting this summer so I want to be ready. I'll be ordering all the parts soon so anything I'm missing please fill in. Thanks guys.
If I were going that far, I would definately change cams and maybe heads if you have the $. I would also install ARP studs everywhere possible since you are going forged. It's good insurance and stronger. Another consideration would be if you plan on going SC later, then some of your choices should factor that in. You don't want to have to replace too many parts later for a SC.
Don't be scared, just be careful. It feels awesome when that beast cranks the first time after all the hard work. Just check the critical stuff 3 times. Lube, anit-seize and Torque to specs. Don't get in a hurry.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok

If I were going that far, I would definately change cams and maybe heads if you have the $. I would also install ARP studs everywhere possible since you are going forged. It's good insurance and stronger. Another consideration would be if you plan on going SC later, then some of your choices should factor that in. You don't want to have to replace too many parts later for a SC.
Don't be scared, just be careful. It feels awesome when that beast cranks the first time after all the hard work. Just check the critical stuff 3 times. Lube, anit-seize and Torque to specs. Don't get in a hurry.
Well I'm already supercharged that's why I think it would be cool to go forged so I can make more boost. And yes I'm so excited to get to do it. I was definitely thinking about cams but the price of cams will double what I will be spending now. Lol. And what are good heads for my car? I've been doing research but I really can't find anything besides I think ford racing ones? I keep seeing that the heads I have now (b heads I believe) are the best for supercharging. And what are some good gaskets? I'm looking at the kit from mmr. It's got the "felpro" head gaskets and the other gaskets I'll need. It's about 400$. Also what's a good lube to use for the inside of the engine?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I didn't realize you were already SC. So your cams aren't stock? I would still put the arp studs in, especially since you're gonna increase boost. Depending HP you might consider stronger engine mounts. I think most big gasket companies have different grades and so talk to a local speed shop about recommendations with your set up. Find the best you can afford, then get the one grade better.
Sounds like a great project.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok
I didn't realize you were already SC. So your cams aren't stock? I would still put the arp studs in, especially since you're gonna increase boost. Depending HP you might consider stronger engine mounts. I think most big gasket companies have different grades and so talk to a local speed shop about recommendations with your set up. Find the best you can afford, then get the one grade better.
Sounds like a great project.
Yes cams are stock, as far as I know lol. Are there any advantages to cams besides the sound? And oh yeah I'll definitely want to find good gaskets. And yes arp studs sound like a must. I didn't even know about them until u mentioned them. And thanks for your support man. I Appreciate it!
Old 05-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
+1 If you are going to take apart the motor like that might as well do some upgrades

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

But I do agree with SpectorV in that since its your first time do it on a motor you don't really care about.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4
+1 If you are going to take apart the motor like that might as well do some upgrades

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

But I do agree with SpectorV in that since its your first time do it on a motor you don't really care about.
I agree with Spector as well but I just figured out all the costs and my original budget was 3000$ including dyno tune. In order for me to buy another engine and buy the parts to build it I would be going way over my budget. I guess ill just take it slow and make sure I don't miss a step. After all I have over 3 months to do it all, so no rush. Lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion