synthetic - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
synthetic

Just got back from advance auto and had to argue with the clerk about synthetic oil. He said that you can't change over to synthetic. That its only for brand new cars. Then he said if I had a brand new motor I could use it. Almost asked if he would buy me one lol. New motor be nice but who can just up and buy a new motor. Btw I got the Mobil one for the switch. Kinda been hesitent cause car has 155000 miles and don't want no leaks. I've only put 2500 miles on it since I bought it and oil hasn't moved. Tailpipe is clean and it don't smoke. So I think it be ok. Any other people have to argue with store clerks to make a point?
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Re: synthetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis96gt View Post
Just got back from advance auto and had to argue with the clerk about synthetic oil. He said that you can't change over to synthetic. That its only for brand new cars. Then he said if I had a brand new motor I could use it. Almost asked if he would buy me one lol. New motor be nice but who can just up and buy a new motor. Btw I got the Mobil one for the switch. Kinda been hesitent cause car has 155000 miles and don't want no leaks. I've only put 2500 miles on it since I bought it and oil hasn't moved. Tailpipe is clean and it don't smoke. So I think it be ok. Any other people have to argue with store clerks to make a point?
Use the Synthetic... We have a 95 VW that the previous owners used standard motor oil in it and when we bought it we switched it over to synthetic and what do ya know? It runs better. People these days are just retarded so don't listen to them.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Montana

Auto store clerks know everything. They have a BS degree! Most are good but I share your experience.
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky

I have heard the same about old motors using synthetic and leaking, but I disagree. I would still use it. Like manicrodder said, auto store clerks ain't that great. working at a shop and dealing with some of them I can tell you first hand many of them barely even know what they are selling much less how it will work on the vehicle

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I ran Mobil 1 for awhile but I always had to add to it ( no leaks ) it evaporated. When I used Castrol Syntec it remained constant.
lBRAlD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Use what you want conventional oil is just fine to just change it every 3000 miles modular engine are very pickey on oil being clean
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

From what the old timers (lol no offense) tell me that once you make the switch to synthetic you dont want to go back and forth to regular oil cause it can cause leaks.
Its not a choice its a way of life it does make a difference in your car I like it I prefer it more then your standard oil

Hav·oc/ˈhavək/
Noun: Widespread destruction.
Verb: Lay waste to; devastate.

2000- V6 First Stang
Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion