Expensive lesson learned - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Expensive lesson learned

2 weeks ago I ordered a Trufiber Venom Hood from Americanmuscle.com for my 2012 Mustang GT. 2 days later when i realised it still wasn't getting fully approved and shipped, i called them up to find out why it was taking so long. I found out that they dont ship hoods directly to the individuals house, but only to the Autobody shop the individual has selected to paint it.

So I tell them where to ship it and they finally approve it and it gets shipped out. a couple of days later my paint shop calls me up and tells me it has arrived in great condition and will start on it as soon as they can.

a week and a half later i got to pick it and put it on my car, only to find out that Americanmuslce shipped the wrong model year hood. the hood was designed for the 2005-2009 body style mustang and wont fit on my 2012 Mustang.

Because it was already painted, Americanmuscle will not take it back and refund it. So now I am stuck with having to take a $300-$400 hit when i sell it to someone else that can actually use it.

Leasson learned, ALWAYS TEST FIT ANY UNPAINTED PARTS YOU BUY FOR YOUR CAR BEFORE THEY GET PAINTED.

on a related note... anyone in the market for a OEM black Trufiber venom hood for their 2005-2009 Mustang? 850$
Black 2012 Mustang GT 6MT mods: Borla S-type cat backs, 15% window tint, Raxiom Smoked headlights, Pioneer 8400, scosche dash kit, hertz speakers, JL Audio 500 watt amp, 2 JL audio 12" W3 subs. *more to come*
D00m3dHitm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Whoa, that sucks, I'd be pissed if I was out that much money, but what else can you do? live and learn I guess.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Put some pics up. I might b interested
Watchawow07SGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Ha I got a better 1 I bought my 04 cobra from a used car dealership drove it for a week after that week the engine started to make alot of noise so I took it to a mustang shop an they said I needed a new engine so 10k and a year later I can finally drive my beast
Cobra Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

U might have to take an even bigger hit than the 3-400 u thought. AM offers that style hood for 675 on our yr car. Sooo. If I buy it I'd still have to get it repainted to match my color combo.
Watchawow07SGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Re: Expensive lesson learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Seb View Post
Ha I got a better 1 I bought my 04 cobra from a used car dealership drove it for a week after that week the engine started to make alot of noise so I took it to a mustang shop an they said I needed a new engine so 10k and a year later I can finally drive my beast
dont you get a 30 day warranty? seems like u would of had a good case
dolfin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfin13

dont you get a 30 day warranty? seems like u would of had a good case
Not on modded car I think
Cobra Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Pictures? Also what color did you paint it?
Solomo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by D00m3dHitm4n
2 weeks ago I ordered a Trufiber Venom Hood from Americanmuscle.com for my 2012 Mustang GT. 2 days later when i realised it still wasn't getting fully approved and shipped, i called them up to find out why it was taking so long. I found out that they dont ship hoods directly to the individuals house, but only to the Autobody shop the individual has selected to paint it.

So I tell them where to ship it and they finally approve it and it gets shipped out. a couple of days later my paint shop calls me up and tells me it has arrived in great condition and will start on it as soon as they can.

a week and a half later i got to pick it and put it on my car, only to find out that Americanmuslce shipped the wrong model year hood. the hood was designed for the 2005-2009 body style mustang and wont fit on my 2012 Mustang.

Because it was already painted, Americanmuscle will not take it back and refund it. So now I am stuck with having to take a $300-$400 hit when i sell it to someone else that can actually use it.

Leasson learned, ALWAYS TEST FIT ANY UNPAINTED PARTS YOU BUY FOR YOUR CAR BEFORE THEY GET PAINTED.

on a related note... anyone in the market for a OEM black Trufiber venom hood for their 2005-2009 Mustang? 850$
eBay it and post some pictures. That stinks. If I had the money, I'd buy it.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well great news everyone... after many discussions with Andrew at American Muscle, they have blown my mind with their customer service and will be shipping me a new hood at no cost and i wont have to return the old one. This is above and beyond coming from AM and they will continue to get my patronage and i will alway recommend AM to anyone looking for aftermarket parts from them.
Black 2012 Mustang GT 6MT mods: Borla S-type cat backs, 15% window tint, Raxiom Smoked headlights, Pioneer 8400, scosche dash kit, hertz speakers, JL Audio 500 watt amp, 2 JL audio 12" W3 subs. *more to come*
Old 05-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Well great news everyone... after many discussions with Andrew at American Muscle, they have blown my mind with their customer service and will be shipping me a new hood at no cost and i wont have to return the old one. This is above and beyond coming from AM and they will continue to get my patronage and i will alway recommend AM to anyone looking for aftermarket parts from them.
Great news! Thats top notch customer service. So why cant they fix my center cap problem??? /rant
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Wow that's amazing!
Timm04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania

Hey guys,

This is a mess! Let's see if we can't get this taken care of. Let me clear up a few of the details.

First, we called the customer to ship directly to the body shop both out of convenience, and to be able to offer to ship it for free to him. On our website when you go to buy a hood, it let's you know that we ship to your house for $75 or to a business for free. We intercepted the order when it was marked to ship to his house and let him know that we could do it for free and save him some hassle by getting it right to the shop for him!

Second, we're really sorry about the mix up to begin with. Somehow, the wrong hood got into your hands, even though you ordered the correct one and we're going to make it right! You had told us that the hood showed up without a box, and we certainly ship it with one - so it sounds like the freight company may have un-boxed it to hide a little damage on the packaging. This makes it tough for me to figure out whether it was our team who made the mistake and shipped you the wrong one or whether it was boxed wrong from the manufacturer (part number is on the box). Either way, it doesn't matter... let's get you solved.

Our typical policy is that we don't take back painted parts and that your body shop should have tested fitment before painting, so the rep was just doing his job. We're definitely at fault for shipping the wrong item, no matter how you look at it. So here's what we're willing to do.

We're going to ship you out a brand new hood, and it will absolutely be the correct one! That's what you ordered and we do what we have to when a customer is unhappy.

The old hood is painted and we have no use for it, so we're going to leave that to you. Sorry about the mistake, but things happen, and hopefully this makes it right in your eyes!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
That is a great man right there! ^
Timm04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Wow, 100% impressed

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Nice.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I call great customer service!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

You got yourself a new customer right here!!!! Awesome
Meansaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
Hey guys,

This is a mess! Let's see if we can't get this taken care of. Let me clear up a few of the details.

First, we called the customer to ship directly to the body shop both out of convenience, and to be able to offer to ship it for free to him. On our website when you go to buy a hood, it let's you know that we ship to your house for $75 or to a business for free. We intercepted the order when it was marked to ship to his house and let him know that we could do it for free and save him some hassle by getting it right to the shop for him!

Second, we're really sorry about the mix up to begin with. Somehow, the wrong hood got into your hands, even though you ordered the correct one and we're going to make it right! You had told us that the hood showed up without a box, and we certainly ship it with one - so it sounds like the freight company may have un-boxed it to hide a little damage on the packaging. This makes it tough for me to figure out whether it was our team who made the mistake and shipped you the wrong one or whether it was boxed wrong from the manufacturer (part number is on the box). Either way, it doesn't matter... let's get you solved.

Our typical policy is that we don't take back painted parts and that your body shop should have tested fitment before painting, so the rep was just doing his job. We're definitely at fault for shipping the wrong item, no matter how you look at it. So here's what we're willing to do.

We're going to ship you out a brand new hood, and it will absolutely be the correct one! That's what you ordered and we do what we have to when a customer is unhappy.

The old hood is painted and we have no use for it, so we're going to leave that to you. Sorry about the mistake, but things happen, and hopefully this makes it right in your eyes!

Shane
Yeah after seeing that honesty I will be shopping at AM for all my needs
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
That's why I buy everything from Americanmuscle.com
Ryan7racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:41 PM   #21
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Hey guys,

Shane
Wow I love the Honesty!! Shane as soon as I get the car cleaned up I'll post some pics of the tires.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
That is awesome!! Now what are you doing with that 05 - 09 hood?
Solomo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts

thats amzing. but not a suprise when it comes to am.
dolfin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:28 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I setting up a deal to trade it to a friend of a friend for some snap-on tools(new to working in cars and don't have any good tools yet).
Old 06-01-2012, 04:25 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Wow that's great, that just made some of your money back when you sell the other hood. Good for you man.
MedicDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Hey guys,

Shane
That's why AM is the best!!! +1000
Siendly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

This sounds like what happened to my lens covers! Long live AM! now if I could get American Muscle to train Verizon in customer service! !!!!!
fultonboy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

nice to have a company that ACTUALLY cares about making the customer happy other than just getting their cash and saying "sorry" to any issue they have.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #29
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Thanks for all of the great feedback, guys! You know where to find us if there's ever anything you need!

Chris
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764 | Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
Need Help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
AMChrisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #30

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Hey guys,

Shane
I've got at least $800 worth of stuff on my
build list, most of which is out of stock at the moment. I was trying to shop around to make sure I was getting the best deal, but after seeing this I'm 100% certain all my parts will come
from AM. Just as soon as they're in stock that is
mrshancock89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Although I have never purchased from AM the next time I need something it will be the first place I look. That is outstanding customer service.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Fast shipping, great customer service, and price matching. Why would you go anywhere other than AM.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion