How Would you Fix the Bullitt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:29 PM   #1

Region: California
How Would you Fix the Bullitt

Okay Mustangers,

I have been reading everyone's comment about the Bullitt. A far number of people like the car and upgrades, but on the whole the car doesn't seem to be on anyone's must have lists. People complain its not worth the price for the specs involved.

So, here's the topic: (and forget for a second that whatever you di dwould void the warranty)

For all the pros with the knows, if you wanted to improve on the car, if you wanted to "fix" the car, so it would truly be a badass car, and more people might buy it, or maybe just for your own personal touch to it to make it better, what would you do? Better brakes, tires, upgrade/increase the HP? What would you do and how would you do it?

Here are the specs again for the car:

3.73:1 Limited Slip Rear Axle
Ford Racing Power Pack (cold air induction system)
High Performance Calipation
Performance Friction Carbon Metallic® front pake pads
Ford Racing Strut Tower pace
Sport –tuned suspension (shocks/springs/stabilizer bar)
Modified “H” Pipe
Dark Grey pake Calipers
18-inch Euro-Flange Bullitt Wheels with Charcoal Satin Finish
3.5-inch Packed Exhaust Tips
Distinct Upper Grille
Bullitt emblem on faux fuel cap
Black interior with upgraded steering wheel
Charcoal Black sport leather seats
Unique IP finish (hand-machined aluminum swirl)
Satin Aluminum interior accents (ball shifter/sill plate/pedal covers)

Standard content also includes:

4.6-liter 3-valve V-8 engine
5-speed manual transmission
Auxiliary audio input jack
One-touch up-down power windows
Power mirrors and door locks
Keyless entry
Air conditioning
Tilt steering wheel
Speed control
Rear window defroster
Four-wheel power disc pakes
Anti-lock paking System (ABS) with Traction Control
Seat-mounted side air bags
LATCH
Personal Safety System®
SecuriLock®
Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Shaker 500 Audio System with six-disc CD player, MP3 and eight speakers:

Tell me: What would you do?
bullittlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: How Would you Fix the Bullitt

I'd cancel it.

If that wasn't an option...I'd at least give it the 5.0 modular so it was more than just V6 looking GT.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:21 AM   #3

Well for me, in order for the bullitt to be that great car i wanted it to be, I would change a few things: I would yank out that dark charcoal color interior and change it all to jet black. Change out that mettalic dashboard, and replace it with something a lot cooler. Black leather maybe to match the rest of the car. I'd upgrade the car to a 5.0 like the shelby 500GTKR, increase the air intake manifold, replace the grill, change the braking system so the car will stop on a dime, maybe Brembo if there are not on the car already, swap out the tires for more performance tires like Nitto or Riken Raptor. That's for starters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2008, 06:54 AM   #4

I'd have the rest of them crushed so mine was the only one in existence..

'cept maybe the red one
Madpoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

450 horsepower, 3000 lbs, and $20k sticker. That's about all you're really gonna hear in here.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Just not a car I'd like. Too bland for me. It's obviously targeted to a different taste than me and it doesn't seem to be selling to badly.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
450 horsepower, 3000 lbs, and $20k sticker. That's about all you're really gonna hear in here.

You forgot "and selling @ X Plan price to all..
Madpoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

It needs to be canceled as they cant pull it off and still have a nice looking car.

I like the idea behind it but they should call it something else. It should be simple and classic (not a bunch of crap going everywhere like a Roush) and it should be nice and low (1.5-2.0 over stock at least) with 18's and possibly a dish out back. On top of that it should have a better interior with different seats and such (they wont change the color)

As far as the handling it should have stiffer springs and such. The exhaust should be as loud as they can get it and stay legal. The engine should be something other than a couple bolts ons.... not sure what they need to do here but something... an N/A 5.4 sounds good to me though.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:53 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

5.4L 4v NA making at least 350 crank hp (370-380 desirable)
T56 6spd Tranny
IRS out back (like the S197 chassis was designed for)
3.73" gearing stock
staggered wheels (bullits, flush fronts with deep dish rears)
tight suspension characteristics
weight reduction (try to maintain the same weight with the 5.4L/T56/IRS combo as a standard 4.6L/5spd/SRA GT)

priced at $30-32k out the door. i was quoted $28k including TTL for a fully loaded 07 GT back when i was looking on unloading my 02 GT.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:36 PM   #10

Region: Minnesota

I have a 2008 Bullitt and I absolutely love it. I will be personalizing my pony in stages however. First, I will be lowering her height about an inch an a half and installing a perfomance handling package(dampers, springs etc.) Next, I will be swapping out the stock "H" pipe exhaust for cat back "X" pipes to give her more breathing room to accomodate the twin screw Whipple blower that will put another 100 horses or so at my disposal. To finish, I'll mount some lovely louvered scoops on the rear windows to complete that '68 Mustang 390 Fastback look. In about a year or so, she'll look just right.
Blutrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:18 AM   #11

Damn good answer!! What do the brakes and the tires feel like? Do they stop for you good enough, or will you do something for that too?

I have been playing around with the design of the car. I wish they would have extended the shell of it all the way to the rear bumper like they did with the '68. When I have the money I will be redesigning the car to my fashion. I like the idea of increasing the horsepower with the cat back. And to indent the rear brake lights to give it that 68 feel. But I will also add a new braking system for the car to stop on a dime, give it more performance tires, lower th car and change the suspension as well.

The big job will be the interior. Change the metalic dashboard and chrome, to a better leather feel. Replace the charcoal finish with jet black, borrow the Honda technology with the rear seats so they will fold down and have a lot of trunk space, increase foot rest room, and make it more spacious. It will be a kick *** ride. Just wondering if I need to buy thr Bullitt for that reason or get a GT and just design it my way. Like the diea of buying the Bullitt so I can call it a Bullitt you know? But we'll see.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:19 PM   #12

Region: Minnesota

The brakes feel fine. I wouldn't worry about swapping out the brakes unless I was doing 500+bhp. Then i might look at brembo's, similar to the Shelby 500 or 550. I'm not sure though if that would screw up the weight balance of the car as those brakes would add weight. As it is, the car has nice weight balance to it. As for tires i would get tires with a little more grip or stickiness to them to take advantage of the added manuverability i'd get with the handling package. If you have some suggestions on tires let me know.

As for the interior, I like it. I know alot of people don't but I'm satisfied. Let's face it Ford will never get highmarks for interior appointments. In fact, in the base model mustangs the interior is just this side of cheesy or cheap looking. Nothing but plastic.

As for whether to buy a Bullit or GT, I'd have to go with the Bullitt. You'll be kicking yourself later when you can't find one. I know it's not PC but the Bullitt just has a masculine kick *** look that I like. Not flashy just tough looking. Good luck.
Blutrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:59 PM   #13

Region: Louisiana

I like the factory Bullit interior and body styling just fine also. However, I am also planning on installing a Saleen 475 HP Supercharger and an X-Pipe exhaust that would allow me to keep the catalytic converter; leaving everything else like it is. This modification will allow me to maintain the 3-yr/36K miles warranty and stay street legal. The only thing I don't like is having to give up the strut mount Support Bracket and the Cold Air Intake.
Hequi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:38 PM   #14

hey all. I had bullitt 2001 #2000 which I rooled on nov, 37 last year just picked up 2008 # 2158 give me a few day and I'll tell you what I would do. The 2001 had brembo Brakes, what about the 2008?
bullitt2158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

^^ do you mean the OEM mach/cobra brakes? if you are talking about OEM then thats what you ment or did you add upgraded brakes on it?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:22 AM   #16

I think the thing that people would be happy with and expect from the bullit is NA power with a nice sound. They could put the 5.0 the put in the parnelli jones stang. It makes 400 horses, they could even rate it at 390 in spirit of the 390 GT. Other than that i have been looking at one every day for the last couple weeks and i really like everything else.
MAjustin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
^^ do you mean the OEM mach/cobra brakes? if you are talking about OEM then thats what you ment or did you add upgraded brakes on it?
I am talking about the "oem". If you do a little research you will find they were made by brembo., lots of hidden things in the 2001, it was even built on a vert chasis to make it stronger. (not that it helped when it flipped). I can't believe the prices on these things though. I got # 2158 (2008) for 35,170.13 No mark up from my local dealer. That may be because I ordered it on 12/4/07 and the sales manager saw my 2001. there is nothing in the Bullitt's history, including the slow sales of the 2001 that justify's the high mark up. they don't even hold their resale and unless it's very low miles book around a GT. Also if you look around you will find that the 2001 was quicker out of the hole that the cobra.
bullitt2158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I knew the oem brakes were made by Brembo and also the calipers dont really make the stop the size of the rotor does, its only the equal pressure of multiple pistons that help. In such a case these are only just as good as all the rest, nothing special. They do make some very nice brembo calipers that were oem on the 00 cobra R. You can pick up focus calipers as well that are the same just silver and save some coin.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #19

My plan was to use the car for a film and then try to resell it with low mileage. Possible, probable?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion