Mustang: Public Perception - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Mustang: Public Perception

This is my first Mustang and my first visually sporty car. That doesn't even take into account it's an American icon as a vehicle and almost everyone knows what a Mustang is. Well, it's been interesting seeing how people react to my car the first day I had it out and about.

Early in the day, I visited my brother-in-law at his work. First thing when I stepped out of the door, I got a compliment from a customer leaving. Then a couple of his co-workers talked to me a while about Mustangs. After I left, apparently they kept commenting on it.

I then visited a lady friend in another town to have dinner. Of course, she loved it, but the kicker was leaving a parking lot. A car with 3 old women, gray hair and all, were crossing in front of me... granny gave me the thumbs up! That made my day. While driving around over there, I also had a Charger run up beside me, pause for a minute, then take off. Clearly wanting to race, but I'm still not going to push it that hard yet.

Then, last night on my way home I got stopped at a rural road block. I had my wallet ready and when I pulled up the first thing the officer said was "woooo." Both of the officers there complimented the car, told them I got it just yesterday.

Yep, that's one day in the life of owning a Mustang. I think it's going to be pretty interesting from now on.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
People love mustangs! Put some pictures up!

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Re: Mustang: Public Perception

Folks love Mustangs! this is the first pony car for the USA....and will always be around (hopefully). The Camaro and Challenger took a hiatus....but not our baby! Get stares and thumbs up all the time!

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

It definitely catches some attention. Occasionally that can be bad, but worth it.
JSchu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to 2Greeny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchu22
It definitely catches some attention. Occasionally that can be bad, but worth it.
True all the rivers hate us.... They're just jealous hahaha but really..... They are
2 Subs, New speakers all around
1 Great Car 1 Happy Kid
July '12 Mustang of the Month
2Greeny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It can be kind of annoying when your in a hurry and you can't get gas without people trying to come talk to you about your car lol

Old 07-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

There are a lot of positives to owning a Mustang... but there are some negatives as well. Getting stopped randomly for no reason (evident by zero tickets in 9 years of owning/driving modified Mustangs) gets old. Especially when half the time they don't just want to compliment the car. Even to the point where they actively try to entrap you in their cruiser. There are also a lot of jealous people, some of which aren't above devaluing your car. I hope you never experience the negatives but they have currently driven me out of the hobby. The positives do very frequently outweigh the negatives... so hopefully it continues to be a good experience for you.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I'm 21, and my age group gets a lot of harassment for mustangs, as far as my peers go.

Everyone my age wants Mazda or a wrx or a evo.

And it's unfortunate because quite frankly I don't want to drive a car that looks like a dodge neon.

But other than that, I've gotten probably about 3 dozen positive comments, but seems to be from older folk. (an ive only owned the car for 10 days)
Cranker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Owning a mustang is a dream. A privilege and an experience, all at the same time. I LOVE MUSTANGS!! Alway did and always will. I have guys in ferraris/Porsches even Maseratis stoping me and asking questions and the occasional thumbs up. That's the biggest compliment you can get.

I just hate people that drive by, sort of look from the corner of their eye and drive off all resentful. I even had one guy this year park his newer mustang right next to my car and not even throw a glance. But the world isn't perfect, so enjoy your beautiful mustang. Have fun and be safe.
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

wow! never heard of that level in the negative. sorry if that is what has forced you to sell your pride and joy

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

we all own Mustangs...no matter the year I always give a nod and a smile..or a thumbs up as we are about to pass in opposing traffic
if they want to pull up next to me and chat..even better.

"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtzzoom View Post
wow! never heard of that level in the negative. sorry if that is what has forced you to sell your pride and joy

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

we all own Mustangs...no matter the year I always give a nod and a smile..or a thumbs up as we are about to pass in opposing traffic
if they want to pull up next to me and chat..even better.
Between being keyed by a random person, dinged three times, pulled over for "tail light tint" (that wasn't illegal) 6 times by the same cop, "illegal" stock exhaust, tire touching the yellow line while turning a corner, driving "too close to the speed limit", illegal stock sound system, no front plate (in a parking lot, while taking pictures... not illegal), "wrong time of day for a Mustang", rear license plate lights out (while I was following him), fog lights turned off, and I could go on... over the course of 8 years. All pulled over for, some times more than once.

However, also had a lot of positive experiences. The final straw was when it got keyed and the cop said "well you drive a Mustang" as some sort of excuse as to why it happened (they didn't do anything about it, the store "didn't have the parking lot video").

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranker
I'm 21, and my age group gets a lot of harassment for mustangs, as far as my peers go.

Everyone my age wants Mazda or a wrx or a evo.

And it's unfortunate because quite frankly I don't want to drive a car that looks like a dodge neon.

But other than that, I've gotten probably about 3 dozen positive comments, but seems to be from older folk. (an ive only owned the car for 10 days)
I hear you man. I'm 20 and like ALL the younger people in my town are ricers.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

shucks...we even have 40 somethings like myself here with Fast and Furious look-a-likes they drive.....plenty with 240SX coupes converted to look and sound like the Skyline from the 2nd film.......got ragged yesterday for not trying out the new scion/subaru coupes that just came out....I drove the FR-S..wasnt impressed

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

It's just sad how society has gotten that the cops dont trust anyone with a nice looking car , especially the 20-30 age groups

Old 07-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Yeah I get a lot of crap from some of the Americans out here that hate mustangs. They call em "me too's" but I just laugh because they don't get it.

But I do get pulled over a lot when passing through inspection points and DUI checkpoints out here because the Germans wanna see my car! Hahaha
Old 07-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill1992

I hear you man. I'm 20 and like ALL the younger people in my town are ricers.
Same here, i hang out with a group of 5 and everyone else drives an old honda and swears there badass with there coffee can exhaust lol just last night a buddy of mine texted me saying a kid with a "built" honda said he wanted to run me long story short, his honda has a completely bult top of the line engine, he couldnt even stay with me. good times
Old 07-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
It's funny cuz where I'm from the ricers get targeted much more than muscle cars and the one time I got pulled in my camaro the cop liked my car and let me go, I had a pretty good excuse at the ready though. All the ricer people I know have been pulled 5 or more times within 2 years, but the muscle car people have only been pulled once or not at all.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
I get far more compliments in my Bullitt than I ever did in my STi.
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The cops love my car. Even tho it's too loud to be legal they let me pass. I know more than half of them and I have a perfect driving record and I always try and obey the traffic laws. When I do get stopped for something silly they let me go with a warning and almost always a complement about the car. Most cops are cool guys and love muscle cars as much as the rest of us.

It's the ricers that try and be "cool" and fly around town trying to get attention that the cops in my town go after. I just don't act like a jackass and try and draw un-needed attention to myself.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Let's see... more recently I was at a gas station last Saturday and couldn't get gas for some random person that came up and started talking.

Today, I worked out of town in a store I don't normally work at (but I know all the guys there) and everyone of them were drooling over it. Got quite a few comments from random people. Even had a police officer in a new Charger stop to gawk and one of the women in the drive thru at Wendy's told me how she loved it and the color.

Really, it's pretty amazing the attention this thing gets.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:15 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner

Between being keyed by a random person, dinged three times, pulled over for "tail light tint" (that wasn't illegal) 6 times by the same cop, "illegal" stock exhaust, tire touching the yellow line while turning a corner, driving "too close to the speed limit", illegal stock sound system, no front plate (in a parking lot, while taking pictures... not illegal), "wrong time of day for a Mustang", rear license plate lights out (while I was following him), fog lights turned off, and I could go on... over the course of 8 years. All pulled over for, some times more than once.

However, also had a lot of positive experiences. The final straw was when it got keyed and the cop said "well you drive a Mustang" as some sort of excuse as to why it happened (they didn't do anything about it, the store "didn't have the parking lot video").
That's a bunch of bull****!! And u let them win? I don't think they can really do that. Wrong time of day for a mustang? Really? Sounds like they are making **it up.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:25 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpow24
Yeah I get a lot of crap from some of the Americans out here that hate mustangs. They call em "me too's" but I just laugh because they don't get it.

But I do get pulled over a lot when passing through inspection points and DUI checkpoints out here because the Germans wanna see my car! Hahaha
yeah, happens to me all the time. i had some polish guys taking pictures of my car and i always get stopped by mp and polizei checkpoints.
crackhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:33 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhutch

yeah, happens to me all the time. i had some polish guys taking pictures of my car and i always get stopped by mp and polizei checkpoints.
Yeah the polizei always pull me over at DUI checkpoints to see my car. Whereabouts in Germany are you? I assume military..?
Old 07-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpow24

Yeah the polizei always pull me over at DUI checkpoints to see my car. Whereabouts in Germany are you? I assume military..?
yeah, graf area
crackhutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion