Would love some input about selling my GT (offer sent) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
Would love some input about selling my GT (offer sent)

So, I have it listed for $7500 including all the parts (even uninstalled... some of which are brand new). I have gotten an offer for $6600, which is significantly lower obviously. I'm around the point where I just don't know that I want to continue the sales process with the car. I have a mental pros/cons list that I'll share the main points of:
Pros:
Car sold, paying insurance/registration/etc for a car I practically don't drive
Truck paid off (will be using some of the funds to pay off my truck loan)
$2.5k - $3k in my pocket (after paying off truck) There are always things I can find to spend money on... or even just toss it in the bank
Paying off truck allows me to seriously consider trading it in (instead of private party selling it) to pick up a 2011 Taurus SHO... which is what I want.
The car needs work. The paint could use redone and there is a ding in the quarter panel that I don't want to take care of.

Cons:
$6600 is a lot less than what I was expecting from the car (my true bottom dollar for all the stuff I'd be including is probably around $7k)
I have two others that have explicitly stated interest for around offering price ($7500) but have been more than 4 weeks waiting for their stuff to sell before they have the funds for my car

Alternatives to consider:
The car is paid off, having it sitting doesn't have additional costs until new registration in January. I could potentially divorce the tuner and pull the "extras" I was going to include and sell them separately. Selling the extras and the car separately (assuming his offer stands) would net me over the $7k I was wanting.

I'm really hoping for some input here. Dropping the truck payment would save me $350 a month (it has less than a year left of payments). The vehicles have been for sale for ~6 weeks. My ultimate goal this summer is by the end of August to be in the Taurus SHO. Sadly, even though I COULD be driving my car this summer, I've noticed I still don't. There's nothing "wrong" with the car, I just don't drive it.

I do have title in hand for the car, so it's literally as easy as deciding what I'll accept as an offer. I appreciate any help ya'll can throw my way.

I should also mention, I finish my PhD in a year and will be looking to replace the GT with a GT500 within the next 5 years. This may change, however (I may decide I don't want another car I don't drive).

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Re: Would love some input about selling my GT (offer sent)

Take the $6600. You will never ever get back what you put into a car and $6600 is not to far off from $7k.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I'd sell it at $6600. I've been in your shoes (unhappy with car) and I felt much better after I decided to take what I thought was a loss. It allowed me to pay off some credit cards that I wanted to close and allowed me to save for the car I really wanted. The regret lasted about as long as a fart.
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

meet in the middle, call it a day
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Yeah, you've lost interest in the car. $6,600 is a good offer. That the hit, it's a measly $400 loss. As soon as its gone and your truck is paid for you'll feel pretty good.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

damn....wishing I had that amount in loose dough..i'd buy that from you...sigh.
Sorry nobody seemed to want to cough up more....

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky

I'd tell him 7k is bottom dollar with mods or 6600 without

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion