Overheating problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Overheating problem

Hey guys I need some advice, my 68 coupe has the bad habit of overheating. Every time my car is on And parked it over heats. No problem on the freeway but anytime I have to make line its not pretty. I thought about a new radiator and electric fan, would this do? All help appreciated.
My68mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
How old is the radiator? You didn't bypass the heater core? It sounds like your radiator is full of crap and circulate and cool. If you turn on your heater when it starts overheating, does that make a difference?

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by My68mustang
Hey guys I need some advice, my 68 coupe has the bad habit of overheating. Every time my car is on And parked it over heats. No problem on the freeway but anytime I have to make line its not pretty. I thought about a new radiator and electric fan, would this do? All help appreciated.
How's your fan does it spin freely when motor is not running? If so it may just be the fan clutch and it needs replacing.
Meansaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I almost never turn on the heater, there is no need for it here in Arizona. And I think the clutch for the fan is ok because it does spin when I'm not accelerating it just does it slowly, the fan is also pretty small.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by My68mustang
I almost never turn on the heater, there is no need for it here in Arizona. And I think the clutch for the fan is ok because it does spin when I'm not accelerating it just does it slowly, the fan is also pretty small.
What I'm saying is with your engine not running spin your cooling fan with your hand there should be resistance. If it spins freely or makes a full revolution than your fan clutch needs replacing.
Meansaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
When a car is overheating, turning on the heater will cool it a little, because the heater fan blows across the heater core and reduces the heat some. Even though you may not need a heater, not having a heater core can elevate the engine temp. Even when the heater is off, the heater core helps cool the engine.

I'm not sure a 68 had a fan clutch, it may be a direct drive, same speed all the time. My 67 was setup that way. It might be the wrong size fan blade.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Oh I see what you mean about it spinning freely. I guess it's fine because there is resistance. And I did not know that about the heater, I should check on that. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: Overheating problem

A leak will disperse fluid and suck in air. Radiator caps go bad. Air in system causes bad things to happen. If flushed with chemicals, it will foam up and do nasty things untill completely gone. Broken off/missing air deflector behind front bumper will cause lots o heat. One you get the system straightened out, pour in two bottles of Lucus Supper Coolant additive. It really, really does work. I have tried Water wetter, Royal Purple, all kinds before and they did nothing. This stuff truly does work:
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
definatley a air flow problem. all good suggestion so far. are the fins bent up really bad on the radiator? is there anything blocking the front of the raditor? make sure you have a shroud. then i would suspect the fan.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I don't have a shroud so that's definitely something I'm going to take care of, Although i dont know about the radiator. I'll also look for that lucus supper. All good ideas, thanks guys.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:00 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Definitely need a shroud
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion