PLEASE HELP!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #1

Region: Kentucky
PLEASE HELP!!

Ok so as I was driving to walmart today in my 95 3.8 mustang, I engaged my clutch peddle and went to go from 1st to 2nd but as I went to pull my shifter down it wouldn't go into gear! Heck it didn't want to go into any gear at all! We had a bad grind from 2nd to 3rd earlier that morning that caused the car to shake. I had to drive it home (being my DD) and it would work for the most part as long as I pushed the clutch to the floor. Does anyone know what it's doing? I know that the previous owner bought a new clutch but he was hard on it. I don't know if it's the clutch or the cable. I don't know how to find out which it is. I have to get it fixed byfFridayfplease help
LilDirte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Re: PLEASE HELP!!

Sorry to hear the bad news, but it could be numerous thing or things that have gone wrong. I know it's ur daily driver, but if u don't know a mechanic friend that can help u out ur gonna have to get it to a shop. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

jack it up and pull the dust shield off of the tranny (usually held on by one bolt)...you can check the cable there to see if it's frayed, and you'll be able to see the clutch as well from the hole that the shield covered...hope that helps
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 12:34 AM   #4

Well I have some knowledge and my girlfriends dad said he'd help me with changing the clutch because he said it sounds like it's the tb and the clutch. But he said he doesn't know fords to well. I planned on jacking it up tomorrow and looking around under it and checking the whole cable and seeing what I can see. Thanks for the advice on what to look for! That's a big help!!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

That's great news. If I were to guess I'd say TB also. Keep us informed.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

btw if you swap the cable in the end go ahead and replace the crappy plastic quadrant at the clutch pedal for a nice metal quadrant usually you can get cable and metal quad combos for great deals at any autoparts stores
Old 07-25-2012, 12:47 AM   #7

Yeah I was reading a form where someone had said that. What lv clutch should I get? I have headers and CAI as mods and I'll be rebuilding this winter so I'm stuck between lv 1 and 2 and what my car could support as of now for best performance.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

honestly the oem clutch takes a huge beating..unless you're planning on major power i would spend the extra cash elsewhere...now if you're set on a stronger clutch kit just a stage 1 is fine
Old 07-25-2012, 01:33 AM   #9

Well I'm rough on my car and my clutch is a powershifting machine so I wasn't too sure what to go with. I plan on takeing it to KY Clutch. So other than new clutch, TB, flywheel, and piolet. Is there anything major I Should look out for? I have a pretty good idea how to do it. What are hour takes on an aluminum flywheel? Anything good?
Old 07-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Did you try adjust the clutch first?Not sure how your year Mustang clutch adjustment works, but on the older models you just lift up on the clutch pedal and listen for clicks. If you hear it clicking, then it was out of adjustment and should be reset.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:49 AM   #11

Should I start it when I do that? And how many clicks? I've been reading up on it but haven't tried it, and you're right all I have to do is lift up on the peddle. I'm going to go try it.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:04 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilDirte View Post
Should I start it when I do that? And how many clicks? I've been reading up on it but haven't tried it, and you're right all I have to do is lift up on the peddle. I'm going to go try it.
No don't start it.
The amount of clicks will probably vary with how far it is out of adjustment.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:17 AM   #13

Ok I'm going to try it now.

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

Well that somewhat helped. I didn't have to push on the clutch so hard and it went in easier than earlier. I'm going to test drive it tomorrow and start tearing into her.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:21 AM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Ok I'm going to try it now.

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

Well that somewhat helped. I didn't have to push on the clutch so hard and it went in easier than earlier. I'm going to test drive it tomorrow and start tearing into her.
Drive it a bit then do it again. You can probably do it with the engine running, while you are driving to see if it makes a difference.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:23 AM   #15

Alright, Thanks for the help. All is appreciated.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:28 AM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

You're Welcome & Good Luck with your project.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #17

Well I'm sure it was the clutch cable, I reset the clutch last night like you had said and today it was shifting alot better. So I'm thinking when I change the clutch I'm just going to get a new cable put in.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #18
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Well I'm sure it was the clutch cable, I reset the clutch last night like you had said and today it was shifting alot better. So I'm thinking when I change the clutch I'm just going to get a new cable put in.
Do the cable, quadrant & firewall adjuster while you are at it.
Use the Maximum Motorsports OEM design cable.
They are the best cable you can get and outlast the aftermarket cables by a long margin.

Cable Only Info

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion