R.I.P. Jane - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Unhappy R.I.P. Jane

So as of currently I have lost my pride. In the early month of February I was in an accident, nothing terrible, no injuries or anything. However I suffered a major blow, practically all the damage was done to my front end (person in front of me stopped short, it was raining, you can pick up the rest). The most damage to the other car was a cracked trailer hitch but not even a scratch on her bumper, however my front bumper went in, far enough to dent my radiator and bend in the supports. While the car actually held up (and since I had to drive it a few times after that) it ran perfectly fine, no overheating, or clunks, front bumper just looked cracked down the middle.

My inspection was due in just 4 days at this point, I had just replaced the windshield and wipers so it would pass, and now I can forget about that.

So off to the mechanic. First quote was ~$2200 with all new, aftermarket parts. Then a check from the insurance company comes for $1200, body shop found used parts. This past week I receive a call from the shop that my car is totaled, it'll cost more to fix it then it's value. Apparently they found more damage. Called the insurance company to ask the value of the car, they said it was still in their computer as repairable for $1200.

So now I sit here with my thumb up my *** while I wait to hear what is exactly going on. The bottom line seems to be I will be getting a new (used) car. Knock on wood.

So this time I am doing it right. I currently saw ads for a '00 GT, '95 SVT, and a guy my pal works with apparently has a '60s he's trying to get rid of.

Haven't done any research yet on any of them, however I hope to have a better idea this week at some of my options.

So folks, what do you guys think? Any thing I should be looking out for? Anyone know of a great deal (remember I'm NY area), Opinions?

I'm just opening this up, so feel free to put in any input or to say "Hello".

BTW I named my car Jane, since I never really adopted a name for her, therefore I felt it appropriate to name her Jane Doe.
R.I.P. Jane, you never gave me any problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to sonic04edge
Re: R.I.P. Jane

Sorry to here that man. Good luck with the search!
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
sonic04edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:20 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via MSN to ChrissyStang02 Send a message via Yahoo to ChrissyStang02

Ouch, sorry to hear!!! Best of luck with your search. I hope you find what you're looking for.

I know of a mineral gray 2003 GT for $12,000 with 61k miles in my town (looks just like mine, but it's a 5 speed w/ dark charcoal interior). I know that probably doesn't help w/ you being from NY, but best of luck!

2002 Mineral Gray Mustang GT ~Dominic~
MagnaFlow Catback Exhaust, CAI, Mach 1 Grille Delete and much more to come. ***Sold. New 5.0 GT coming soon!!!
ChrissyStang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

Glad to hear there was no injuries but sorry about your car.....if you are getting a daily driver i would stay away from the 60's stang considering you live in NY.....2000 is when they upgraded the heads on the 4.6 for more power so thats always a consideration, the previous 4.6 was a dog.....fox bodies are always cool and then you have the unwanted child in the 94-95's, haha....good luck and hope you find something nice that you can afford!
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut95 View Post
Glad to hear there was no injuries but sorry about your car.....if you are getting a daily driver i would stay away from the 60's stang considering you live in NY.....2000 is when they upgraded the heads on the 4.6 for more power so thats always a consideration, the previous 4.6 was a dog.....fox bodies are always cool and then you have the unwanted child in the 94-95's, haha....good luck and hope you find something nice that you can afford!
They changed the heads in 99 with the body change.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

Quote:
They changed the heads in 99 with the body change.
sorry about that, you are correct....i knew it was either 99 or 2000
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:44 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah NY sucks. I'd love one from the 60's. I know it's more of a wish/want than a reality. Plus the time and effort for me to put into it, I just don't have, as well as the cash. It is a hobby I will have to put aside for now and just stick with the models. But hey, I can still look

The real other dilemma I face is to go with a stick or auto. With an auto, you're not really "driving" your car, however with all the stop and go traffic, constantly shifting and clutching could suck. Add that to a 40 mile, hour long trip to and from school each way. The last part of the auto vs. manual debate for me is that I don;t have much practice with stick, I've driven short distances but no real driving so it's something I have to pick up which is fine, I just have to save up for a new clutch now lol.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 03-12-2008, 03:13 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

So to catch up, I had to renew my license (21st B-Day coming up ) and i decided to get a few things done while I was there. So I took the written test for a Motorcycle License and I passed ( again). Out of 20 questions only two had to deal with actual motorcycle riding, 3 questions on the meaning of roadsigns, 2 questions on general driving and the rest was all on driving on alcohol and drugs and how bad it was for you.

Later today my friend calls to let me know about that 60's Mustang. It's a '66, new motor (289), new tranny (auto). He has all new quarter panels for the rusting on the old ones. Apparently even the frame is new . The car really only needs to be repainted and just taken care of real good, garaged, covered the whole nine. It sounds like he is selling it cheap since he just started a family and has no room for it, he also knows I'm interested and wants to hear what I have to say about it.

Unfortunately I'm still unaware of my financial situation and a '66 for a DD is not practical. I'm hoping I'm underestimating a few things so I can make a couple of big investments right now.

At least it feels good to be excited.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion