Best aftermarket security? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Best aftermarket security?

I am looking for a good after market security system. I have looked into the vipers but need a little input. Does anyone have experience?

I am looking for a 2 way, so my car talks to the remote, and the remote talks to my car. I am looking for an impact sensor, an inside motion sensor, and a proximity sensor. I don't need a remote start because it came with my car. Any suggestions?
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Re: Best aftermarket security?

Viper, really great brand.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Viper, really great brand.
Do you have a recommendation on a particular model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz View Post
Do you have a recommendation on a particular model?
I've never gotten one so i can't really recommend one though... I know that you can build your own system though based off what you want.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
Most of them are the same. Viper is a good name brand and been around for a long time.

If someone wants your car bad enough they will get it. I've been dealing with this myself, some idiot tried to steal my cobra at 6am a couple weeks ago... I bought a gravity alarm and put a hood switch and tilt sensor on it. Then turned up the sensitivity. I only use the alarm at night, stock during the day. Been working well. I think the led alone lets people know they are going to have problems...

If i were to steal a car tho, i would just tow it.. Thats why i always back into my spot and put it in gear. It will give you more time.... You can do other things too. Kill switch. Steering wheel detach. The club for your pedals, etc. It all helps

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

Also, they have ones with a gps tracker on them now. I don't know how much they are but they look pretty cool.
Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
A gun...
Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

When I bought my Shelby I considered a Lojack, but it dawned on me that it was a " recovery system ", as in.................it's already stolen ! After some research, I found
" Ravelco " Ravelco Anti Theft Device
Costs about the same as Lojack.................but the only way they can steal your car is with a flatbed...............& they still can't start it after they steal it.
Can't be disabled because you can't find it once it's installed.
.....................Might be worth your consideration.

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Alibi View Post
When I bought my Shelby I considered a Lojack, but it dawned on me that it was a " recovery system ", as in.................it's already stolen ! After some research, I found
" Ravelco " Ravelco Anti Theft Device
Costs about the same as Lojack.................but the only way they can steal your car is with a flatbed...............& they still can't start it after they steal it.
Can't be disabled because you can't find it once it's installed.
.....................Might be worth your consideration.
Thanks for the input. But I am looking for more of an alarm system that will detour the average thief who wan'ts my possessions inside my car, not an engine disable. I don't think I need one with my Mustang because I was told that my Ford key is encrypted with the computer in my car, so the only way to turn on the engine is to insert my key, or take the engine out of the car and part it out.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Viper is prolly the best and like said above you can build your own for whatever you want
Ryan7racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I talked to a viper dealer today, and they said I would have to use there remote start instead of the one I bought from Ford for $300. Seems more like a marketing scheme to me, I am not going to throw $300 down the drain. My Dealer offered me an add on security system for $500. So I might check that one out, since it would work with my current remote.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz
I talked to a viper dealer today, and they said I would have to use there remote start instead of the one I bought from Ford for $300. Seems more like a marketing scheme to me, I am not going to throw $300 down the drain. My Dealer offered me an add on security system for $500. So I might check that one out, since it would work with my current remote.
Stock alarms not good enuff??? Maybe move or getta gun? Lol
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
I am looking for a good after market security system. I have looked into the vipers but need a little input. Does anyone have experience?

I am looking for a 2 way, so my car talks to the remote, and the remote talks to my car. I am looking for an impact sensor, an inside motion sensor, and a proximity sensor. I don't need a remote start because it came with my car. Any suggestions?
If you want all that, Id recommend Viper. Fords Active AntiTheft has tilt and motion, but no proximity or impact. If by impact you mean door ding sensors, you can buy those separately and add them to most alarm systems. If you dont get tilt, I would recommend a GPS alarm. Its like your own personal Lojack so you can track your car yourself if it gets stolen (or if someone borrows it or for service appts., etc) and, best of all, you can cut power via and get alarm messages via text, all on your phone.
Quote:
Thanks for the input. But I am looking for more of an alarm system that will detour the average thief who wan'ts my possessions inside my car, not an engine disable. I don't think I need one with my Mustang because I was told that my Ford key is encrypted with the computer in my car, so the only way to turn on the engine is to insert my key, or take the engine out of the car and part it out.
If youre just looking for a deterrent, get an alarm light only. Otherwise youll need two fobs if keeping your starter. And someone can always tow your car.
Quote:
Their fobs have alarm & start in one Im sure and they prolly dont work w/ another brands or else you might find yourself starting your neighbors car. Ask them how much for the AATheft with tilt & motion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco4life
Stock alarms not good enuff??? Maybe move or getta gun? Lol
He doesnt have an alarm, just remote start.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

@wheelman You seem to know a lot about Ford alarms. I have a question for you. What is the difference between the "security package" that is optional when building your mustang, and just the basic security that comes by default. I have the default one, didn't pay extra for anything, so what kind of alarm is that?
Old 08-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
@wheelman You seem to know a lot about Ford alarms. I have a question for you. What is the difference between the "security package" that is optional when building your mustang, and just the basic security that comes by default. I have the default one, didn't pay extra for anything, so what kind of alarm is that?
I just know what Ive researched and bought really, but here's what Ive learned: The Reverse-Sensing/Security package or whatever its called, gets you the Anti-Theft alarm, which includes the interior motion sensors (which work even with the windows down but car locked), tilt/move sensor & intrusion sensors all around: hood, trunk, doors, etc (but not the gas cap Ive found), as well as the reverse-sensing (beeping when youre near something) & wheel locks. I got this b/c I figured its a 40k car so it s/b protected & the price is right from the factory.

The standard security is pretty much just the PATS (encrypted key) & door locks, no alarm IIRC, though the PATS is pretty good from what I understand.

So if theyre offering you a standard alarm for $500, Id look elsewhere. If theyre giving you the Anti-Theft, take it because youre paying for just that and not the other package stuff, so Id say its a very fair deal. Plus the integrated fob/key is nice, especially if you have need a fob for a secondary alarm...

If you look elsewhere and want something mid-range in price/security, maybe look at Viper. Or if you want to spend a little more or want two alarms, again I say a GPS. You can get everything in a GPS that the Ford system has and more for less than $600, though probably not including labor. Sorry that I cant recommend one but Im paranoid about letting people know what Im running.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the responses. I finally found the security system that I am going with. It's about $250 installed, and it is a Ford model, so it will work with my current key lock.

Vehicle Security System - Alarm | The Official Site for Ford Custom Accessories

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion