I guess it is official - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #36
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh2death
My dad said the same thing when i turned 16. I picked up auto focus and auto trader everyday and bothered him until he finally gave in.
Lol! I'm gonna remember that trick for my son

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4
After saving up for 3 years and working my @$$ off, looking around and planning everything out. My parents refuse to let me buy a Mustang. So i guess it will have to wait until after college (5 years from now) Makes me sad
Sorry to hear that Not even one that needs some TLC so it doesn't cost as much up front?

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
My grandma gave me her old 91 GT when I was 17
Man, your grandma rocks!
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
My dad let me drive his Z06 when I was 16 =\

Sorry brother, hope everything works out for you.
Cranker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #38
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Re: I guess it is official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranker View Post
My dad let me drive his Z06 when I was 16 =\

Sorry brother, hope everything works out for you.
I've driven my dad's Corvette (2003) 3 times to practice driving stick only after i repeatedly asked him multiple times until he gave in, he had to sit in the passenger seat though. They just don't want me to own anything that might be somewhat fast.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
I've driven my dad's Corvette (2003) 3 times to practice driving stick only after i repeatedly asked him multiple times until he gave in, he had to sit in the passenger seat though. They just don't want me to own anything that might be somewhat fast.
Hey man. If this helps I've got some advise that might help here. I know you've probably talked to your parents, and tried to convince them, but try this.

One night prepare them dinner or take them out and let them know before hand that there is an issue you want to discuss like adults.

Once there sit them down and respectively tell them that you are about to be an adult and should be given the right to make your own decisions. And that you promise to be safe and intelligent with how you drive, yet be slightly firm that they need to let you do this.

That would be my advise. Acting professional an responsible around your parents makes it hard for them to say no. If not, well hell. You tried.

There's my 2 cents. Hope this helps.
Cranker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranker

Hey man. If this helps I've got some advise that might help here. I know you've probably talked to your parents, and tried to convince them, but try this.

One night prepare them dinner or take them out and let them know before hand that there is an issue you want to discuss like adults.

Once there sit them down and respectively tell them that you are about to be an adult and should be given the right to make your own decisions. And that you promise to be safe and intelligent with how you drive, yet be slightly firm that they need to let you do this.

That would be my advise. Acting professional an responsible around your parents makes it hard for them to say no. If not, well hell. You tried.

There's my 2 cents. Hope this helps.
+11
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:51 AM   #41
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I think i'm going to try to wait 6 months until I turn 18, then try and try to use that, if that doesn't work then at that point its only a few months until i go to college so then i can get one then because i will be out of the house... I should probably wait until i find out where i'm going to college first anyway, i don't want to get one then have to sell it 6 months later (we have no room to store cars).
Old 08-14-2012, 02:24 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Soccer just wait until you're out on your own. Insurance for your area might be high if you're under 25 that might be the reason. $100 a month doesn't sound like much to you but think about this if you're insurance is $100 they might already be paying $300 or $200 a month already. So $1200 a year for you on top of maybe the $2000 a year they might already be paying. You can just sit down and talk it out with them or like I stated at the beginning and just wait.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just a thought, maybe It's because they love you and could not stand the thought of you getting hurt in a fast car.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:55 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Go to competitive driving school so u know how to truly drive.... get ur cert... then they will b more willing...
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545
Go to competitive driving school so u know how to truly drive.... get ur cert... then they will b more willing...
I think that everybody could benefit from taking a course like that. Knowledge on what to expect in extreme situations would result in fewer deaths.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tee7pony

I think that everybody could benefit from taking a course like that. Knowledge on what to expect in extreme situations would result in fewer deaths.
+1000000000 I completely agree!!
Solomo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #47
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tee7pony View Post
My dad said he might be willing to sign me up for something like that, so that way i can learn to control a higher performance car... Nothing got implied about them letting me get the Mustang though, but it's worth a shot. And it would be nice to drive something like a Ferrari or Lambo or Z06.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:53 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Here in Dallas they use a fleet of 05-09 mustang GTs... $250 if I remember right... I'm wanting to do it bad... but every time I gather the money I buy more toys for the car... dam it
Old 08-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here in Dallas they use a fleet of 05-09 mustang GTs... $250 if I remember right... I'm wanting to do it bad... but every time I gather the money I buy more toys for the car... dam it
my dad works for Hyundai and they let me take a 3.8 genesis coupe out to this track a few hours away and pretty much let me go balls out.. the good thing was this was a car that had been almost destroyed a few months before and the owner brought it back and got a new one lol so they keep it around to go have fun in and ish lol. I thought myself a lot in that car! ha
emery2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by emery2483

my dad works for Hyundai and they let me take a 3.8 genesis coupe out to this track a few hours away and pretty much let me go balls out.. the good thing was this was a car that had been almost destroyed a few months before and the owner brought it back and got a new one lol so they keep it around to go have fun in and ish lol. I thought myself a lot in that car! ha
Would it smoke ur mustang?

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
My father was the same when I was 17, but he eventually gave in and allowed me to get a 6er, after driving that for a few years he had no problems with me getting a GT, actually it's funny cuz he's hitting that mid life crisis stage, and whenever we drive in the stang and I get on it, all he says is ohhh I'm gonna get a 5.0 and blow your doors off. My girlfriend lives with me and my father and she's currently looking for an 07 6er, gonna be a real nice lookin driveway with a 02' GT, 07' 6er, and a 13' 5.0 .
Old 08-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
My First vehicle was a mustang and I. Would like my kids to be also
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbill2003
I like that thinking
Old 08-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #54
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbill2003 View Post
I wish my parents thought like you.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
It's just a mustang and you can wreck or get in a accident in any vehicle
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbill2003
Yes but it is RWD, younger people tend to not care about rain or snow and think they are invincible. I know I did haha rude awakening when that *** slides out and inexperienced drivers panic and BOOM!
Old 08-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
After saving up for 3 years and working my @$$ off, looking around and planning everything out. My parents refuse to let me buy a Mustang. So i guess it will have to wait until after college (5 years from now) Makes me sad
My first car was a 198? Grand marquis with a 351w my dad and uncle rebuilt it, for a boat it was pretty quick lol but then I got a fox body with my own money it wasn't running so I had to fix it while still driving the GrandM to school amd I learned to do my own work.

If any one is willing to donate parts to the Make Joe's Mustang Faster that Corvettes Foundation, donations will be gladly appreciated
Stockish302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #58
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post
Yes but it is RWD, younger people tend to not care about rain or snow and think they are invincible. I know I did haha rude awakening when that *** slides out and inexperienced drivers panic and BOOM!
I drive a truck with RWD... And when it was raining before i took it to a completely empty parking lot and taught myself to control it if the rear end slides out.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbill2003 View Post
Exactly!!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I know it sucks,,but they r prob worried about ya...But when you get out of college,,youll be able to buy a badda#$ mustang,,by then..If you dont go to college,,you might have to wait in tell you are in ur 40s before you can buy one..lol..I almost killed my self and pregnant girl when i was 19,,because of a fast camaro i had,,so i know they worry..
Old 08-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger

Lmao I did that in my f150. I didn't panic tho I just sat there in tense in the seat like son of a bch I lost control lol.. No point in freaking out, it's not in your control at that point. Nothing you can do. Ran into a old fence just a few scratches from thorns and stuff

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

Quote:
I drive a truck with RWD... And when it was raining before i took it to a completely empty parking lot and taught myself to control it if the rear end slides out.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

Exactly!!!!
Yeah try to control it when you on a road and not going straight lol

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #61
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Lmao I did that in my f150. I didn't panic tho I just sat there in tense in the seat like son of a bch I lost control lol.. No point in freaking out, it's not in your control at that point. Nothing you can do. Ran into a old fence just a few scratches from thorns and stuff

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

Yeah try to control it when you on a road and not going straight lol
I went through different types of turns that i might encounter. I didn't just go straight then jerk to the side. Almost every road where i live is straight lines also, cause its suburbs/city.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Most parents that won't allow a child to get a performance car for safety reasons have never been a car enthusiast... or had a bad experience growing up... instead of saying no they need to take the time and learn about what it means to be a car person... what I've seen in my life time with this same situation caused street racing to die....

I'll try an keep this short (op I will be more than happy to speak to your parents in regards to your problem... I'm a parent and I plan on building both my girls mustang's from the ground up)

OK parents say no to v8
allows child to get v6
kid then drives v6 like it's a race car
Kid gets into trouble w the law and or wrecks....

Pre 2000 street racing depending on location was safe (as safe as racing can be given the imperfections of road ways ) I do not mean random street light races... I'm referring to planned races where many cars meet at a discreet location

After fast n the furious came out racing became a fad... kids started to take their mom's four door imports out to these races w no prior knowledge on how or what to do in a race and or Harry situation... causing mad destruction of property, lives, cars... by 2003 street racing was taken from a minor traffic violation to a felony... and when that did not solve the problem cities nation wide to drastic measures... street racing of the "good ol days" are now extinct... these dumb kids/parents ruined a great past time... my wife and I found each other through racing and I miss it so much.... here is how all this and your current situation could be prevented...

Parents get involved w child and build/work on a desired car w child... learn how to respect cars for the amazing machines they are... if you put your blood sweat and tears into something 9x out of 10 you will not disrespect it.... both parties need to learn how to respect hp and tq... if not that's how accidents happen...

Make motorsports a family function and everyone wins...

Ending note to op if all else fails get a wrx... ungodly reliable, safe, sexy, ect... it has soul and can beat a ton of cars out there and if you can't beat it just tell them next race you get to choose location lol (find a trail big enough for a car in the woods and see who comes out unscaved lol)
Old 08-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #63

Hey just thought I'd throw my .02 on the teenager vs parents on sports cars. Even tho I'm only 21 I do understand the parents point of view. What does every 16-18 year old highschool kid want? Fast cars and hot women. And how did we get those hot women? With our fast cars. Yes, I have been in sports cars all my life, but when I was in school, my dad said only way that was happening is if I pay for everything my self. And if he heard about me crashing while being stupid, he would take my license away. So I do understand both sides views.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

And yes, silver, I completely agree with you on street racing as does my dad, he was a freshman in hs when I was born and that's what he grew up doing, so we both agree with you on street racing and the fast n furious destroying it
1990fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
You can be a dumb *** and get yourself killed JUST as easy in a v6 as a v8. Some kids with v6's think they have something to prove make up for not having a v8 and drive like an idiot.

I respect the power of my GT. it's not crazy but it still reminds me from time to time that it will kick my *** if I'm not careful

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Most parents that won't allow a child to get a performance car for safety reasons have never been a car enthusiast... or had a bad experience growing up... instead of saying no they need to take the time and learn about what it means to be a car person... what I've seen in my life time with this same situation caused street racing to die....

I'll try an keep this short (op I will be more than happy to speak to your parents in regards to your problem... I'm a parent and I plan on building both my girls mustang's from the ground up)

OK parents say no to v8
allows child to get v6

Pre 2000 street racing depending on location was safe (as safe as racing can be given the imperfections of road ways ) I do not mean random street light races... I'm referring to planned races where many cars meet at a discreet location

After fast n the furious came out racing became a fad... kids started to take their mom's four door imports out to these races w no prior knowledge on how or what to do in a race and or Harry situation... causing mad destruction of property, lives, cars... by 2003 street racing was taken from a minor traffic violation to a felony... and when that did not solve the problem cities nation wide to drastic measures... street racing of the "good ol days" are now extinct... these dumb kids/parents ruined a great past time... my wife and I found each other through racing and I miss it so much.... here is how all this and your current situation could be prevented...

Parents get involved w child and build/work on a desired car w child... learn how to respect cars for the amazing machines they are... if you put your blood sweat and tears into something 9x out of 10 you will not disrespect it.... both parties need to learn how to respect hp and tq... if not that's how accidents happen...

Ending note to op if all else fails get a wrx... ungodly reliable, safe, sexy, ect... it has soul and can beat a ton of cars out there and if you can't beat it just tell them next race you get to choose location lol (find a trail big enough for a car in the woods and see who comes out unscaved lol)
My dad was very reluctant to me getting a v8 because he knows what he did as a kid with 78 Mach 1 and a 69 z28. I can never really get it out of him, but I have heard him talk to old friends about racing trains and how they don't know how they made it.
I'll admit I've raced on public roads and even for money, but those couple of times it has been somewhere that I know that no one else will be and that I know the road well. I know it isn't smart, but he'll I'm young stupid and what is the point of having a fast car and not using it every once in awhile.
My friends say that I'm crazy because I'll take turns to the limit, but what they don't know is that before I do that I take the turn many times before and gradually increase the speed a couple mph each time until I reach the limit. It's great for impressing on a first date. I didn't do that one time and dam near killed myself. It taught a good lesson though.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:

OK parents say no to v8
allows child to get v6

First and foremost, most parents know their kids better than anyone else!.. When my kids are older and go to get their first car, I will only let them get a "performance car" if they are truly ready for it!.. It has nothing to do with me being a car enthusiast or not!.. It completely depends on if they are mature enough to handle it or not!.. It doesn't matter if you "build the car" with your kids and try to teach them to respect it!.. If your kid don't have the maturity to handle a 1.8L FourBanger then they sure as hell don't have the maturity to handle a sportscar!.. It's just that simple!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
A teenager will love the sound it makes when you floor it a lot! I know I do.
Poopyhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think it matters what car theyre in, every car is fast enough to kill someone. The day you loose respect for your car, no matter if it is an old Camry or a new Shelby you will die.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tee7pony
I don't think it matters what car theyre in, every car is fast enough to kill someone. The day you loose respect for your car, no matter if it is an old Camry or a new Shelby you will die.
+1000

It's not the fast cars that kill its the dumb *** people who don't respect the power or miss use it.

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

First and foremost, most parents know their kids better than anyone else!.. When my kids are older and go to get their first car, I will only let them get a "performance car" if they are truly ready for it!.. It has nothing to do with me being a car enthusiast or not!.. It completely depends on if they are mature enough to handle it or not!.. It doesn't matter if you "build the car" with your kids and try to teach them to respect it!.. If your kid don't have the maturity to handle a 1.8L FourBanger then they sure as hell don't have the maturity to handle a sportscar!.. It's just that simple!..
So very true, when my oldest daughter was 8 she was to big to sit on my lap and steer any more. I told her I guess It's time to learn to use the brakes and gas then. She drove me 12mi on her 8th birthday. My oldest son on other hand, never got to drive the lawn mower til he was 12+.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion