I guess it is official - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I guess it is official

After saving up for 3 years and working my @$$ off, looking around and planning everything out. My parents refuse to let me buy a Mustang. So i guess it will have to wait until after college (5 years from now) Makes me sad
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Why do they refuse to let you buy one? Also when do you turn 18? Sucks though
Solomo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Re: I guess it is official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomo2 View Post
Why do they refuse to let you buy one? Also when do you turn 18? Sucks though
My dad just keeps saying "I don't want you driving a Mustang"... My guess is they don't trust me, coming from the guy who rolled his 88 GT and now owns a Corvette. Even though i have gotten nothing but good compliments from neighbors about my driving. And I turn 18 in February.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
My dad said the same thing when i turned 16. I picked up auto focus and auto trader everyday and bothered him until he finally gave in.
fresh2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington

I told my dad I worked for my money, my parents had no say in anything I bought. Or Buy.

1998 Mustang V6
CAI, Exhaust, Weight Reduction
16.5 1/4 Mile
Skargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4
My dad just keeps saying "I don't want you driving a Mustang"... My guess is they don't trust me, coming from the guy who rolled his 88 GT and now owns a Corvette. Even though i have gotten nothing but good compliments from neighbors about my driving. And I turn 18 in February.
Haha I turn 18 in February as well. My parents knew there was no way they were keeping me out of a sports car, so they told me that for the first year it had to be a v6 and then after that whatever I could afford. Parents do things like this for a good reason and if you don't realize this, then you are ignorant, but if you don't put up an argument then you just aren't being a kid.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
They should atleast let him get a V6 maybe 96-04 mustangs. That was my first car (96 V6) for a few months no wrecks or tickets got a 02 GT
Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Find some really good deals on some Mustangs that you can afford!.. Then compare them to other cars that are not such a good deal and show your folks!.. Gothe extra mile and prove to them that you can be trusted with one and that you know your facts!.. And just casually bring the subject up every so often, but make sure you have all your facts together!.. And if/when they say no again, don't complain, or whine, or cry or anything like that (us parents hate that ***** with a passion)!... Just simply state how you know and understand their reasons (without using any type of sarcasm or complaining)!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #9
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tee7pony
Haha I turn 18 in February as well. My parents knew there was no way they were keeping me out of a sports car, so they told me that for the first year it had to be a v6 and then after that whatever I could afford. Parents do things like this for a good reason and if you don't realize this, then you are ignorant, but if you don't put up an argument then you just aren't being a kid.
That's why I moved my ignorant *** outa my parents house before I was 18. Lol, I drive what I want.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

That's why I moved my ignorant *** outa my parents house before I was 18. Lol, I drive what I want.
I actually liked the idea because I wanted to learn how to drive before I got anything too nice.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
This looks like the beginning of the movie Christine 2 LOL
Shelby09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #12
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

They said, the previous owner... died in it.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ur not keeping that car on the driveway arnie, lol
Shelby09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I started off slow with my parents. They didn't want me in a sports car either. They always said "the kids you hear rolling their car going 120 are the ones in a sports car". I started off bugging them about a 4 cyl eclipse. Then a v6 eclipse. Then they found out eclipse has a timing belt and not chain, and our ford truck had 300k on it So a ford mustang it was! Just took time. I also showed I was trustable too tho. With a lot of different ways. Too bad they wouldn't let me have a gt tho

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I wouldn't let any kid of mine have a v8 sports car... I know what I did at that age
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
I wouldn't let any kid of mine have a v8 sports car... I know what I did at that age
+1

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 08-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
My first car was a V6 mustang. I mean I wish it was a v8 but I am glad it wasn't because of all the stupid crap I did in my first two cars.
Solomo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I got most of my stupid crap outta me with my truck 4.2 v6 f150 stx auto lol it was fun drifting that thing. I had a Little fun in my stang but nothing like in that truck.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 08-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh2death View Post
My dad said the same thing when i turned 16. I picked up auto focus and auto trader everyday and bothered him until he finally gave in.
I've been on Auto trader and Craigslist and cars.com almost every day for the past 2 years and bothered them a ton, but they never gave in.

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skargon View Post
I told my dad I worked for my money, my parents had no say in anything I bought. Or Buy.
Yea i worked for all of it, its just they would be paying insurance for it because there is no way in hell i would be able to afford insurance on that car, it would probably be $150-$200 per month.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tee7pony View Post
My parents know that there is no keeping me out of them either, they are just trying to pro-long it as looooonng as possible.

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream View Post
They should atleast let him get a V6 maybe 96-04 mustangs. That was my first car (96 V6) for a few months no wrecks or tickets got a 02 GT
Its not just that... They don't even want me to buy my own car during high school. My mom keeps saying "why do you want to buy a car when you have a perfectly good (POS) truck to drive?" There is just satisfaction out of buying your own car and having the pink slip read your name.

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
I started off slow with my parents. They didn't want me in a sports car either. They always said "the kids you hear rolling their car going 120 are the ones in a sports car". I started off bugging them about a 4 cyl eclipse. Then a v6 eclipse. Then they found out eclipse has a timing belt and not chain, and our ford truck had 300k on it So a ford mustang it was! Just took time. I also showed I was trustable too tho. With a lot of different ways. Too bad they wouldn't let me have a gt tho
I've showed how trustable I am behind the wheel. my dad probably thinks i'm going to be like he was when he was a teenager, wild and reckless. He told me about all the crazy stuff he did as a teenager and i'm just thinking "I am probably one of the most responsible teenagers i have ever meet and you still think i am going to do something stupid on the road?"

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I was planning for the longest time to get a V6, and still i get nothing...
Old 08-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

My dad bought me a 67' stang with a 302 for my 18th bday. (Got stolen 2 years later). However, my oldest just turned 18 and hes gettin some type of beater (mite b a stang, but it will be old/4 sure a v6/and ready 4 dings).not really fair of ur parents hating on mustangs, there r hoopty ones out there worthy of 1st car status
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I did buy a v6 mustang my senior year of hs. Still got in plenty of trouble with that
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

You can't have it in your name untill your 18
Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I'm lucky my parents got me my GT I'm 17. Either way my first car woulda been a mustang which is now my weekend car 1969 fastback.
BeasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #24
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
My grandma gave me her old 91 GT when I was 17

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #25
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
After saving up for 3 years and working my @$$ off, looking around and planning everything out. My parents refuse to let me buy a Mustang. So i guess it will have to wait until after college (5 years from now) Makes me sad
Why after college? It's the perfect car for a college student. Why don't you keep saving, and get one after you graduate high school. At 18 you get a small break in insurance. Or, better yet after your freshman year. But keep working on them, I was 21 when I got mine, I had to really sell them on it.

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

And when I did I had to agree that any ticket or accident is on me.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #26
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
I did buy a v6 mustang my senior year of hs. Still got in plenty of trouble with that
He could get in just as much trouble in his pickup.

I hate when parents think they know better. Granted most of the time they do buy there's times that they can be just down right unreasonable. It's not fair but as long as op lives under their roof he's gotta live by their rules.

Quote:
Yea i worked for all of it, its just they would be paying insurance for it because there is no way in hell i would be able to afford insurance on that car, it would probably be $150-$200 per month.
You've gotta find a way to pay your own insurance. Once you turn 18 that's the only way I'd you get what you want, unless you move out.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
For the insurance crap, there's no since in it being $200 a month unless it's full coverage. (which some people just WANT full coverage). I'm 18 years old and I pay $50 a month on insurance for liability on a 2001 Cobra. You just have to be CAREFUL. Lol. But honestly best of luck to you. I had HELL trying to convince my parents to let me buy my Cobra. AND I PAID FOR IT! But hopefully something will go your way!
Forged Internals, Limited Slip Differential, 3:73s, Bama Tune, Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Mach 1 Air Intake, 31 Spline Moser Axles.
98StangKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #28
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
He could get in just as much trouble in his pickup.

I hate when parents think they know better. Granted most of the time they do buy there's times that they can be just down right unreasonable. It's not fair but as long as op lives under their roof he's gotta live by their rules.

You've gotta find a way to pay your own insurance. Once you turn 18 that's the only way I'd you get what you want, unless you move out.
It is really hard to work enough hours to pay for insurance while in High School taking 4 AP classes while playing sports.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
Why after college? It's the perfect car for a college student. Why don't you keep saving, and get one after you graduate high school. At 18 you get a small break in insurance. Or, better yet after your freshman year. But keep working on them, I was 21 when I got mine, I had to really sell them on it.

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

And when I did I had to agree that any ticket or accident is on me.
I might get an old V6 for college (something dirt cheap) and throughout college put some money away each month that way when i come out of college i can afford a new GT.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98StangKid View Post
For the insurance crap, there's no since in it being $200 a month unless it's full coverage. (which some people just WANT full coverage). I'm 18 years old and I pay $50 a month on insurance for liability on a 2001 Cobra. You just have to be CAREFUL. Lol. But honestly best of luck to you. I had HELL trying to convince my parents to let me buy my Cobra. AND I PAID FOR IT! But hopefully something will go your way!
My parents pay about $100 per month for me to drive the truck with only liability coverage, if something happens to the truck we don't have any insurance to get it repaired, only other cars.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I work 25-30 hours a week while in an engineering program with 2 ap classes a dual enrollment, and the rest are engineering related or honors. I had to forgo sports because I need sleep. For my 99 v6 camaro insurance was $120 a month for nearly full coverage. It was at $80 before my parents split and sold a bunch of cars and the house, I lost the multi car and house discounts. I can't imagine a v6 mustang being any worse unless your parents have a bad driving record, mine were perfectly clean.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+1 same here lol!

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 08-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

This is where you explain to them It's my money, and i use it when i need it! Seriously though, they should respect the fact that you saved your money up for something you want! They shouldn't really have a say so on what you buy. Just get the insurance in your name and show up in a stang one day! After you bought it, you can't bring it back

This is how i was raised, you earn your money! So no one can tell you what to spend it on. I guess it's just a southern thing. I didn't buy my first car till i was 19 and on my own. It just all boils down to man up, and for them to respect your decision. Just don't do anything stupid and show them that you can be trusted.
1shotkllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #32
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
[/COLOR]
I might get an old V6 for college (something dirt cheap) and throughout college put some money away each month that way when i come out of college i can afford a new GT.[COLOR="Silver"]

That's what I would do! At 18 there isn't much they can do. I'd stay 98 or newer though. Your already looking at a 14 year old car.

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
That's what I would do! At 18 there isn't much they can do. I'd stay 98 or newer though. Your already looking at a 14 year old car.
you want it to be safe not that a 97 or older, isn't it's just that as time has gone on they've gotten a little safer.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

you want it to be safe not that a 97 or older, isn't it's just that as time has gone on they've gotten a little safer.
Go 99+ just for that big increase of 40 hp.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 08-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #34
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang

Go 99+ just for that big increase of 40 hp.
I wouldn't go older than 99, I personally hate the look of anything older than 99 (except for 64-71 and foxes)

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Quote:

I wouldn't go older than 99, I personally hate the look of anything older than 99 (except for 64-71 and foxes)
I'm also going to keep saving up until the end of college... I just hope I don't get but by the mod bug during college.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Old 08-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

I'm also going to keep saving up until the end of college... I just hope I don't get but by the mod bug during college.
You will

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion