First time at the track - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
First time at the track

Going to the track soon to do the 1/4 mile for the first time any advice
Slp_loudmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 02:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: First time at the track

sure i love the track so first and foremost just go out for fun not trying to be the fastest..that'll come with practice

-miss the water box if you're on street tires or street slicks
-if on street tires just spin them for 5 seconds to clean them off / if on slicks then 10-15 seconds to heat them up
-don't worry about beating the other guy off the line...your time doesn't start till you cross the sensor. so unless you just want to work on your ETs take your time and launch right
-if auto go ahead and pre-load your TC by giving it some RPMs before the green, if stick youll just have to practice and test what to raise it too..i found 2200 good in my old GT on an average day
-when creeping up to the light it's usually nice to hit the first light then let the other guy grab one. or vice versa...for the 2nd yellow light creep to it and stop as soon as it lights up. this'll give you a tiny bit of start before you cross the start sensor
-only have about a 1/4 tank of gas if you can when you go...that stuff is heavy
-after a few runs if you're gonna go more i'd pop your hood and let it cool off a bit

-and last but not least listen to all the officials...don't be afraid to ask them or other drivers questions...they are all there for the same fun and 99% of the time will give good advice on staging...and be careful when the race is done..always know where the other guy is when leaving the strip.

have fun and bring us back some slips
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
sure i love the track so first and foremost just go out for fun not trying to be the fastest..that'll come with practice

-miss the water box if you're on street tires or street slicks
-if on street tires just spin them for 5 seconds to clean them off / if on slicks then 10-15 seconds to heat them up
-don't worry about beating the other guy off the line...your time doesn't start till you cross the sensor. so unless you just want to work on your ETs take your time and launch right
-if auto go ahead and pre-load your TC by giving it some RPMs before the green, if stick youll just have to practice and test what to raise it too..i found 2200 good in my old GT on an average day
-when creeping up to the light it's usually nice to hit the first light then let the other guy grab one. or vice versa...for the 2nd yellow light creep to it and stop as soon as it lights up. this'll give you a tiny bit of start before you cross the start sensor
-only have about a 1/4 tank of gas if you can when you go...that stuff is heavy
-after a few runs if you're gonna go more i'd pop your hood and let it cool off a bit

-and last but not least listen to all the officials...don't be afraid to ask them or other drivers questions...they are all there for the same fun and 99% of the time will give good advice on staging...and be careful when the race is done..always know where the other guy is when leaving the strip.

have fun and bring us back some slips
Well it's not until the 16 th of February but we have a a road next to my house that no one drives on no idea why and I'm gonna practice on it lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slp_loudmouth

Well it's not until the 16 th of February but we have a a road next to my house that no one drives on no idea why and I'm gonna practice on it lol
Practice is good!! Just be safe, no reason to danger others or yourself

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

practicing on that road is ok but remember the track will be prepped...how your car launches will be different. unless you feel like buying a bottle of pimp juice for about $25-30 and prep the street lol
Old 08-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The road Is a normal road just without lines and never got out of second just enough to launch
Old 08-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slp_loudmouth View Post
The road Is a normal road just without lines and never got out of second just enough to launch
like i said you're just gonna have to practice but know it's gonna be different come race day
Old 08-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix

like i said you're just gonna have to practice but know it's gonna be different come race day
Yeah I can't way
Old 08-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slp_loudmouth

Yeah I can't way
Any guesses what I'll run in the 1/4. JLT cai 3.73 gears. Short shifter. Full exhaust

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Any guesses on 1/4 mile time. 02 gt. JLT cai. Full length exhaust. 3.73 gears
Old 08-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
High 13s is my guess
Old 08-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Woo today's gonna be my first time at the track to! Just going with a friend and bringing my car along. Only performance mod on mine is a new exhaust but I know it doesn't make my car any faster. So gonna see what my car runs then next time I should have my cai and tune and see what the difference is. But idk hopefully I should be able to get in the 15's with it? It's a 10 btw
Rcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Rcary you should be around mid 14s as is
Old 08-31-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang.racr
Rcary you should be around mid 14s as is
Oh ok well I'll post my times later tonight!
Rcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:50 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slp_loudmouth View Post
Any guesses what I'll run in the 1/4. JLT cai 3.73 gears. Short shifter. Full exhaust

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Any guesses on 1/4 mile time. 02 gt. JLT cai. Full length exhaust. 3.73 gears
depending on how well you get into the swing of things, and if you can get the car in the grooves i'd say low 14s or high 13s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcary View Post
Woo today's gonna be my first time at the track to! Just going with a friend and bringing my car along. Only performance mod on mine is a new exhaust but I know it doesn't make my car any faster. So gonna see what my car runs then next time I should have my cai and tune and see what the difference is. But idk hopefully I should be able to get in the 15's with it? It's a 10 btw
14-15 is a pretty good estimate of that 4.0 you have...did the '10 get an 8.8" or just a 7.5" i forget

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion