Reverse! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Reverse!

Done this yet?
pulling out of a parking lot, no one behind
Me so take a min before I pull out to respond to a text. Look up, Yukon waiting behind me. Quickly shift into 'first', gas and *****... Stopped just in time. 1500 miles on this tranny an already reverse feels too much like first. Just looking to be vindicated here; anyone done this?

Btw, I did the little hand wave but the guys frantic hand gestures told me he was a little freaked out.
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Lol.. Nope 2011 19k
Old 08-31-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Yea I've don't that and almost hit this lady lol
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Nope... Stop texting and driving
Old 09-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
Nope... Stop texting and driving
Lol well I wasent texting
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: Reverse!

I've had my awkward moments :p One time, I was in the shop, getting my new grille installed. When everything was done, and he gave me the receipt, the guy left the keys in the ignition, and told me I can back the car out whenever I'm ready. Sooooo I clutched in, turned the keys.... Did not realize until late that he had left the car in gear, not in neutral (like I always do,) and the car jumped forward, tires squealing. Thankfully it didn't lurch far at all, and there was nothing nearby that it could have hit.

The guy came out of his office, and was like, ".........You okay?" lol

It was quite embarrassing.... But now I always know to double-check before starting the car. Everyone who works on my car leaves it in gear lol

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Dcobra31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
There are aftermarket shifters that solve that issue.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:16 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
There are aftermarket shifters that solve that issue.
Lol, thanks. I actually order MGW that day. Still waiting, but from what I've read it is worth the wait
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcobra31
I've had my awkward moments :p One time, I was in the shop, getting my new grille installed. When everything was done, and he gave me the receipt, the guy left the keys in the ignition, and told me I can back the car out whenever I'm ready. Sooooo I clutched in, turned the keys.... Did not realize until late that he had left the car in gear, not in neutral (like I always do,) and the car jumped forward, tires squealing. Thankfully it didn't lurch far at all, and there was nothing nearby that it could have hit.

The guy came out of his office, and was like, ".........You okay?" lol

It was quite embarrassing.... But now I always know to double-check before starting the car. Everyone who works on my car leaves it in gear lol
I always park my car in gear. It's cheap insurance in case the parking brake fails or isn't sufficiently engaged.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
If 'first' = reverse in your post, then no, haven't done that. I've forgotten to move it back to first before when I come to a stop light. Light goes green, then realize quickly she's not in first. It would never happen now cause I don't hold the clutch down anymore when stopped.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Am I the only one here who leaves their car in neutral when stopped or parked? Suddenly I feel like an outsider lol I never keep the clutch in when I'm at a standstill; I just shift to neutral, and hold the brake. Then of course, shift to first when I'm ready to move again. It just feels more natural to me, I guess.

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Dcobra31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
I leave mine in park..
Idk..
Old 09-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcobra31 View Post
Am I the only one here who leaves their car in neutral when stopped or parked? Suddenly I feel like an outsider lol I never keep the clutch in when I'm at a standstill; I just shift to neutral, and hold the brake. Then of course, shift to first when I'm ready to move again. It just feels more natural to me, I guess.
That's exactly what I do. It makes your clutch last a little longer.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcobra31
I usually do that unless I know I'm going to get moving very quickly again like at a stop sign or a light I know is about to change.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

i always used to put my ranger in gear,,i would never rely on just the e-brakes,,its good to have a failsafe..But once i put the ranger i thought in first but it was in third,,without the e-brake on,,and it rolled down a hill,but luckly it didnt hurt anyone or anything,,it had 320000 miles on the engine i guess wasnt enogh compression to hold it back,,lol
Old 09-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
I leave mine in park..
Idk..
I too put mine in park, sometimes the park brake too!
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

I ahve moments as well..My clutch is really touchy and grabby and if you dont get it jsut right pulling out it will stall and not restart right away...torques me off.

...I will put it in neutral at long lights...when I know I am gonna move qucik I will leave it in gear.
JUNIORS08GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:53 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Yeah, at lights that I know I'll be waiting a while I'll put it the car in neutral, but generally I just hold the clutch in. And I always put the car in first or reverse depending on the incline (if there is one) when I park so that if the emergency brake fails the car doesn't roll.
JoshLSTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLSTV View Post
Yeah, at lights that I know I'll be waiting a while I'll put it the car in neutral, but generally I just hold the clutch in. And I always put the car in first or reverse depending on the incline (if there is one) when I park so that if the emergency brake fails the car doesn't roll.
I had that OH $h!t moment a few months back. I parked the car and was in a rush. I noted that I was parked next to an old multi colored ford pick up. I ran into the store came right back out and my car was no longer next to the truck...I thought MF-er someone jacked my car...for the heck of it I hit my emergency button and I heard the horn going off...I looked around and the car was about 50 yards away. It rolled and parked itself between a cart return and a light pole...missed them both by inches....it was in neutral and no e-brake set

Long story short...I always put it in gear now...alway...if I get in the store and second guess myself...I go back to look.
JUNIORS08GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion