Whats a good dslr camera for shooting the car? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-07-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Whats a good dslr camera for shooting the car?

Looking to invest into a nice dslr camera in the near future, I'd say my price range is $300-$650 if it's worth it in the long run.

I want a nice dslr camera for taking photos of the mustang once bought, to make awesome photos with low lighting and to be able to have alot of features to learn about.

Main use will be for cars, motocross, at night photos.

The must is to have a wide shot, any thoughts? I checked out the canon t2i... Looking for help.
MachMan1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
It's a little out of the price range you listed, but I have a Canon Rebel t3i and I absolutely love it. I bought it on amazon at christmas for $999 with a good zoom lens as a package deal. Takes amazing photos.
Cmrtopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Re: Whats a good dslr camera for shooting the car?

You really can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon. I shoot a 7D and usually have my Tokina 12-24 or Canon 24-70 for car shows. The Tokina is nice & wide, so I can get fairly close to the car & get it all in the frame, it also makes it easier to get the typical 3/4 shot with cars parked next to each other and not get the neighboring car. Get really close & play with perspective distortion. Some examples (mostly shot with the mentioned lenses & either the 7D or my old 20D): Automotive - Chris Laudermilk Photography

The main thing is to spend your money on the best lens you can. Bodies come & go, and anything from the last few years is more than capable enough--good lenses will stay with you.

Take a look at KEH.com. They are one of the biggest used camera outfits & are super conservative on their condition ratings. I have no problem looking at stuff they rate as "Bargain"--I got a Mamiya 645 rig all at that rating & it just had some scuffs & needed a little cosmetic cleanup (no surprise on a 20-year-old rig that probably saw constant pro use for years); it works flawlessly.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

i use my Canon Rebel XTI for bigger shoots, but for daily carry i have a powershot SX30IS...which is more of a beefed up point and shoot

here's some shots with the Powershot (and it's great for the price tag)

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

I have had great service from my Sony DSLR cameras- I started with an A-200 kit that was about $500 for the camera and 2 zoom lenses. This is my newest-
Sony Alpha SLT-A37 Digital Camera with 18-135mm Zoom Lens

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

I just found a really good deal on a Canon-

EOS Rebel T3 18-55 mm IS II Digital SLR Camera Kit with EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens Bundle : Digital Cameras - Photo & Video | Dell
Old 09-10-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

any update OP?

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion