Well, **** - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Unhappy Well, ****

Was on my way to the dentist around 7 in the morning today, and for a second, my brain was just...just...gone...! That one second caused me to hit the curb so hard that I heard this horrible grinding sound afterward. "Service advancetrac" lit up on my dashboard, so safe to say that something(s) broke.... Thankfully there was a parking lot just up ahead, and for a minute I just sat there, teary-eyed, and cursing at myself. Y'know, what just about anyone would do after doing something unexplainably stupid....

I took a deep breath, got out of the car, and walked more rings around it than an Audi's logo. (I know I'm not funny....) I sighed in relief when I saw no frame damage. But then I saw the front-passenger side tire, the way it was tucking into the wheel well. I knew it wasn't a good idea to move the stang any farther, so I called my emergency roadside service, and waited for a truck to arrive, to tow it to my local auto place. Rescheduled my dental appointment while I waited, and called in late for work as well. Of course, I let my folks know that I myself was all right....

Tow truck guy called me thirty minutes later because he couldn't find me. Turned out he had passed my parking lot, so I told him to backtrack. He circled around again, and ended up passing me a second time. At least that time I saw him, and could identify the truck. Finally, he circled a third time, and I stood at the side of the street, waving like a damsel in distress :p He saw me this time.

We both discovered that no matter which way I turned the steering wheel, that one tire wouldn't turn. It refused to pop back into place. In any case, he hooked it up to the truck, and took me to my local auto place. The owner there is friends with my dad, so he knew me pretty well. I was so upset and frustrated, but he helped remind me that as long as I was okay, everything was okay; at least the car is fixable. I left the car with him, and had my brother drop me off to work.

A coworker asked if I hit anybody, and then started laughing after I said no. I don't know how she intended for that "joke" to sound in her head, but I suddenly had intentions to push her off a bridge. Anyway...

I returned to the auto place after work. The arm control that turns the wheel needs replacing. The ABS sensor needs replacing. The rim is completely destroyed, and I have to order a new one. (Thankfully I still have my stock rims on standby.) The brake disk has a tear.... They're estimating around $2K worth of damage.

It's sooooo difficult NOT to beat myself up over this. But I guess I should just man up, and admit that **** just happens.... Apparently some of these parts are difficult to come by because the car is still new, so I don't know how long it will be before I get my car back.... I'll receive an update from my mechanic by tomorrow, and I'll see....

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Dcobra31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Wow man.. I'm really sorry about that. But first and foremost you're alright. Best of luck to ya on the Mustang!
Forged Internals, Limited Slip Differential, 3:73s, Bama Tune, Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Mach 1 Air Intake, 31 Spline Moser Axles.
98StangKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcobra31
Was on my way to the dentist around 7 in the morning today, and for a second, my brain was just...just...gone...! That one second caused me to hit the curb so hard that I heard this horrible grinding sound afterward. "Service advancetrac" lit up on my dashboard, so safe to say that something(s) broke.... Thankfully there was a parking lot just up ahead, and for a minute I just sat there, teary-eyed, and cursing at myself. Y'know, what just about anyone would do after doing something unexplainably stupid....

I took a deep breath, got out of the car, and walked more rings around it than an Audi's logo. (I know I'm not funny....) I sighed in relief when I saw no frame damage. But then I saw the front-passenger side tire, the way it was tucking into the wheel well. I knew it wasn't a good idea to move the stang any farther, so I called my emergency roadside service, and waited for a truck to arrive, to tow it to my local auto place. Rescheduled my dental appointment while I waited, and called in late for work as well. Of course, I let my folks know that I myself was all right....

Tow truck guy called me thirty minutes later because he couldn't find me. Turned out he had passed my parking lot, so I told him to backtrack. He circled around again, and ended up passing me a second time. At least that time I saw him, and could identify the truck. Finally, he circled a third time, and I stood at the side of the street, waving like a damsel in distress :p He saw me this time.

We both discovered that no matter which way I turned the steering wheel, that one tire wouldn't turn. It refused to pop back into place. In any case, he hooked it up to the truck, and took me to my local auto place. The owner there is friends with my dad, so he knew me pretty well. I was so upset and frustrated, but he helped remind me that as long as I was okay, everything was okay; at least the car is fixable. I left the car with him, and had my brother drop me off to work.

A coworker asked if I hit anybody, and then started laughing after I said no. I don't know how she intended for that "joke" to sound in her head, but I suddenly had intentions to push her off a bridge. Anyway...

I returned to the auto place after work. The arm control that turns the wheel needs replacing. The ABS sensor needs replacing. The rim is completely destroyed, and I have to order a new one. (Thankfully I still have my stock rims on standby.) The brake disk has a tear.... They're estimating around $2K worth of damage.

It's sooooo difficult NOT to beat myself up over this. But I guess I should just man up, and admit that **** just happens.... Apparently some of these parts are difficult to come by because the car is still new, so I don't know how long it will be before I get my car back.... I'll receive an update from my mechanic by tomorrow, and I'll see....
Oh that stinks!
As said at least you or no one else was seriously hurt! Your car and pride can be fixed and healed!
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Re: Well, ****

Hang in there bro.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

dude, we all have those moments, some worse than others...ask me about the time I turned directly infront of a moving school bus filled with kids on a field trip in SoCal (5.5K woth of damage to the truck)...I could write a book on that debacle...all because I was frustrated and lost. $h!t happens, no sense in beating yourself up about it..in your case no one was killed, youre okay and the car can be repaired....life will go on.
JUNIORS08GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Ouch. That had to be a hard hit to bend the tie rod. Well the main thing is that you are ok, and learn from this--the car can be fixed.

Now counting down to the "bro" and "dude" corrections.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Yes indeed, glad your okay. Hopefully, they'll get your ride fixed and running smooth again soon.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Quote:

I know how you feel, I cringed reading the story but literally **** always happens and how you recover is where your character will come out. Good call on not driving it anywhere since that would have caused more damage like you reflected above. Parts should be fairly easy to find even of it is as new as it is. We all have moments of lapse including myself who didn't notice a curb lean out into the road by an extra six inches and smashed my front wheel. If that wasn't enough some guy in a wrx saw me do it (salt in the wound). Regardless the car will be good as new when it's done and please double check when u get it back to verify they did a front end alignment otherwise that can give u some after accident woes.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Oh and get to your appointment so u can feel perfect teeth again and a white smoke when u see your car put all back together.

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
**** happens! But you are ok and cars are fixable people aren't. I hear ya it's upsetting when that happens.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Just glad you're ok, time to upgrade now!!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
My "Well, ****" moment is costing my insurance close to 10K. It didn't make me feel better when everyone was telling me, at least you're ok. Even though I wasn't physically injured, my pride was hurt and my heart. When you've got a passion for something, every setback is painful. So I'll say, at least you're still able to work! You'll get her fixed up and back to jumping curbs in no time... That last part was a joke.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNIORS08GT View Post
dude, we all have those moments, some worse than others...ask me about the time I turned directly infront of a moving school bus filled with kids on a field trip in SoCal (5.5K woth of damage to the truck)...I could write a book on that debacle...all because I was frustrated and lost.
Holy ****! 0_o That sounds traumatic! Were you hurt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk View Post
Ouch. That had to be a hard hit to bend the tie rod. Well the main thing is that you are ok, and learn from this--the car can be fixed.

Now counting down to the "bro" and "dude" corrections.
Yep, all I can do is chalk it up as a lesson :/ Lol It must be my way of words when I type; I'm so used to "bro" and "dude" now

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy View Post
We all have moments of lapse including myself who didn't notice a curb lean out into the road by an extra six inches and smashed my front wheel. If that wasn't enough some guy in a wrx saw me do it (salt in the wound). Regardless the car will be good as new when it's done and please double check when u get it back to verify they did a front end alignment otherwise that can give u some after accident woes.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Oh and get to your appointment so u can feel perfect teeth again and a white smoke when u see your car put all back together.
Lol Oh no! How bad was the damage? I was being watched by a couple guys while me and the tow truck guy attempted to straighten out the wheel without damaging the body work. It was very annoying to see them just sit there, smiling like it's a spectacle....

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Even though I wasn't physically injured, my pride was hurt and my heart. When you've got a passion for something, every setback is painful. So I'll say, at least you're still able to work! You'll get her fixed up and back to jumping curbs in no time... That last part was a joke.
That is so true! When I first took the car home, the first thing on my mind was, "I'm gonna take real good care of you!" And then this happens.... My poor beast

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

Thanks so much, everyone! Honestly, I wrote that whole story fueled with frustration and fatigue, making it much longer than I originally planned. But I'm happy you guys took the time to skim through it. It really helps me to write it all out.

So, until the stang returns from the hospital, this is what I'm stuck with....

...Or at least I WAS stuck with. I drove this Mazda MPV to work this morning, and you'd never believe what happened. After I clocked out, and was ready to go home, the car wouldn't start. Even the electronics wouldn't turn on. Tried jump-starting it with my dad's Honda, but to no avail. Looks like the battery died. I am now officially car-less. I feel like I lost my independence for a bit lol

BUT there is a bright side! My mechanic called me today, and told me that they were able to get their hands on the right parts. Apparently he has some connections that helped speed up the process, so the parts will arrive by tomorrow! Way faster than I thought! Including the labor, the total damage will cost $1754, which at the very least is $300-less than $2K They're predicting that the car should be ready by Friday or Saturday.

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Old 09-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #13
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:

Yep, all I can do is chalk it up as a lesson :/ Lol It must be my way of words when I type; I'm so used to "bro" and "dude" now

Lol Oh no! How bad was the damage? I was being watched by a couple guys while me and the tow truck guy attempted to straighten out the wheel without damaging the body work. It was very annoying to see them just sit there, smiling like it's a spectacle....

That is so true! When I first took the car home, the first thing on my mind was, "I'm gonna take real good care of you!" And then this happens.... My poor beast

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

Thanks so much, everyone! Honestly, I wrote that whole story fueled with frustration and fatigue, making it much longer than I originally planned. But I'm happy you guys took the time to skim through it. It really helps me to write it all out.

...Or at least I WAS stuck with. I drove this Mazda MPV to work this morning, and you'd never believe what happened. After I clocked out, and was ready to go home, the car wouldn't start. Even the electronics wouldn't turn on. Tried jump-starting it with my dad's Honda, but to no avail. Looks like the battery died. I am now officially car-less. I feel like I lost my independence for a bit lol

BUT there is a bright side! My mechanic called me today, and told me that they were able to get their hands on the right parts. Apparently he has some connections that helped speed up the process, so the parts will arrive by tomorrow! Way faster than I thought! Including the labor, the total damage will cost $1754, which at the very least is $300-less than $2K They're predicting that the car should be ready by Friday or Saturday.
1754 is not bad! If it makes you feel better a friend of mine just paid 1100 to get a water pump and thermostat fixed on her BMW.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well fortunately nothing bent and I took it as a sign that the stock wheels had to get replaced. I hooked up a club member at 500 dollars for wheels and tires. He didn't care that one wheel had some major road rash, and at that cost a 100 bucks a rim and a 100 for four tires with 3k miles on them is a steal. Anyway yeah I am not a fan of watchers. If I see someone struggling with something or looking like they need help I am always willing to jump in and lend a hand. Not trying to be a superhero but treat people as I would want to be treated. Great news that it was cheaper then expected and I can't wait to see you posting pics again soon of fastest color on a mustang

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
Old 09-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
1754 is not bad! If it makes you feel better a friend of mine just paid 1100 to get a water pump and thermostat fixed on her BMW.
Yeah, that's something I can pay out of my own pocket. Not the end of the world It's still a bit frustrating to know that expensive mistakes like this can happen.... Damn, that sucks! I wonder what the maintenance costs are for BMWs these days. I guess it depends.

Quote:
Well fortunately nothing bent and I took it as a sign that the stock wheels had to get replaced. I hooked up a club member at 500 dollars for wheels and tires. He didn't care that one wheel had some major road rash, and at that cost a 100 bucks a rim and a 100 for four tires with 3k miles on them is a steal. Anyway yeah I am not a fan of watchers. If I see someone struggling with something or looking like they need help I am always willing to jump in and lend a hand. Not trying to be a superhero but treat people as I would want to be treated. Great news that it was cheaper then expected and I can't wait to see you posting pics again soon of fastest color on a mustang
Wow, hopefully you won't have to go through that ever again! Yeah, I'm not the rubbernecking type. If I see someone in trouble, and I feel like I can help, then I'll help. My black Forgestar wheel was the one that suffered damage, while my stock wheels sat in the garage. lol I'm gonna have to order a new one, and I got that part covered HoweyIndustries is awesome!!!!!!

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Old 09-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #16
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:

Yeah, that's something I can pay out of my own pocket. Not the end of the world It's still a bit frustrating to know that expensive mistakes like this can happen.... Damn, that sucks! I wonder what the maintenance costs are for BMWs these days. I guess it depends.

Wow, hopefully you won't have to go through that ever again! Yeah, I'm not the rubbernecking type. If I see someone in trouble, and I feel like I can help, then I'll help. My black Forgestar wheel was the one that suffered damage, while my stock wheels sat in the garage. lol I'm gonna have to order a new one, and I got that part covered HoweyIndustries is awesome!!!!!!
It's a good chunk of change to shell out even if you can. There's a lot a more to do with a grand than fix the car. But it could've been worse.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

How much does one of those wheels set u back? Are you having to replace the tire?

Old 09-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
It's a good chunk of change to shell out even if you can. There's a lot a more to do with a grand than fix the car. But it could've been worse.
You're right, it is a pretty good chunk. But I'm a bit of a special case :p Although I'm paying for the car on my own, I still live under my parent's roof, so I don't have many bills to worry about. My paychecks will make up for the damage in due time Now hopefully no one will see me as spoiled because I do maintain the stang with my own money, and of course, I handle my own credit card bills. lol

My parents don't want me to move out, but that's a whole 'nother story. It's a culture thing.

Quote:
How much does one of those wheels set u back? Are you having to replace the tire?
I'm going to complete the payment for that tonight, if not tomorrow. One Forgestar CF10 will cost me $390. Not bad for a 19'' wheel that only weighs 23 lbs! The tire fortunately survived, and does not need to be replaced.

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Here are the parts that needed to be replaced. We saved them.

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Old 09-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You're right, it is a pretty good chunk. But I'm a bit of a special case :p Although I'm paying for the car on my own, I still live under my parent's roof, so I don't have many bills to worry about. My paychecks will make up for the damage in due time Now hopefully no one will see me as spoiled because I do maintain the stang with my own money, and of course, I handle my own credit card bills. lol

My parents don't want me to move out, but that's a whole 'nother story. It's a culture thing.

I'm going to complete the payment for that tonight, if not tomorrow. One Forgestar CF10 will cost me $390. Not bad for a 19'' wheel that only weighs 23 lbs! The tire fortunately survived, and does not need to be replaced.

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Here are the parts that needed to be replaced. We saved them.
Looks like its time for drilled and slotted rotors. 390 isn't bad at all, I was thinking closer to 500 was where it would end up. No you aren't spoiled, a horrible personality trait comes with spoiled that I havent seen in u.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion