What should I check for at delivery? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What should I check for at delivery?

I'm supposed to pickup my new 2013 Grabber Blue GT Base tomorrow. What are things I should check besides the paint? Also they told me i'd have it Monday, then Wednesday, and now "for sure on Friday". I was thinking about demanding window tints for free sense they keep yanking me around. I actually had planed on moving on Friday now its going to interrupt that because I have to go to the dealer.
Zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Please take delivery of it during the day!! I got burned last year when I found out 5 days later that my brand new 11 had bodywork that wasn't disclosed... I turned complete psychopath after discovering and I'm a very mellow person
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120913_085418.png
Views:	119
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	68370  
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: What should I check for at delivery?

Im super mellow too. Dont the dealer legally have to disclose that info?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeek
Im super mellow too. Dont the dealer legally have to disclose that info?
They're supposed to but I work around different dealers all the time and they will do whatever they can for the sale they don't care... it was my 1st new car and u guess I was anxious, but I learned my lesson and thank god it was resolved... I refused to take the car back
Old 09-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

I would take the time and go over every inch of that car before I took delivery.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy

Yes, be very particular on the car with almost anything. You ordered it and it should be near if not completely flawless. Also do not let them drill holes in your bumper for a license plate. My recommendation is if you need a front license plate get a hideway plate which puts holes in the bottom to mount the bracket and it is spring loaded so it pops up when you need it there.

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2
Please take delivery of it during the day!! I got burned last year when I found out 5 days later that my brand new 11 had bodywork that wasn't disclosed... I turned complete psychopath after discovering and I'm a very mellow person

So what did you End up doing?
dj_james123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_james123

So what did you End up doing?
Took the car back but they said I'm stuck with it and offered to repair again... and I just left the car at the service drive and handed them the keys and said my attorney will take care of this and called BBB and they got the packet next day... they called me 2 days later with a similar Race Red they had to swap from another dealer... I had nothing to lose at that point, I sacrificed too much to be able to finally afford my 1st new car, so it was a huge deal for me, I wanted a fresh unit, not something that was already fubarred up from lot damage
Old 09-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I agree! You had every right to do that,

I also can't stand when people lean up on cars in showroom that your looking at,
Old 09-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_james123
I agree! You had every right to do that,

I also can't stand when people lean up on cars in showroom that your looking at,
That irks me... I do paintless dent repairs for a living and I treat the cars that I'm working on as if they were mine... especially when new, I use painters tape on certain areas near moulding and windows to assure I don't damage anything... I guess I'm a fanatic cuz I take pride in my work, the actual ppl that work at dealers (lot attendants, sales ppl) can care less about these units... they know very little about what they're selling and I see this all the time as I work with different dealerships... especially Ford dealers, they're terrible 90% of the time. My previous experience opened my eyes and wouldn't want anyone else to go through what I did... I lost sleep, my work suffered severely for a few days until I solved the matter
Old 09-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #11
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2

That irks me... I do paintless dent repairs for a living and I treat the cars that I'm working on as if they were mine... especially when new, I use painters tape on certain areas near moulding and windows to assure I don't damage anything... I guess I'm a fanatic cuz I take pride in my work, the actual ppl that work at dealers (lot attendants, sales ppl) can care less about these units... they know very little about what they're selling and I see this all the time as I work with different dealerships... especially Ford dealers, they're terrible 90% of the time. My previous experience opened my eyes and wouldn't want anyone else to go through what I did... I lost sleep, my work suffered severely for a few days until I solved the matter
Yeah some don't although my brother just took a sales job at a chrysler dealer and they told him he's gotta know a good amount about the cars, or else adios

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Oh yes check the paint !!!! My brother was showing me this brand new charger with 35 miles on it. The First thing I do is pop the hood, and see bubbles and the paint was chipped on the hood. I said that isn't right.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I've heard alot about rail dust in areas where you have to get the car repainted?
Old 09-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #13
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Yeah I've heard alot about rail dust in areas where you have to get the car repainted?
Rail doest hurt them that much unless it was parked right under the tracks. But this car he showed me was just like their paint gun rainout of paint. I'm not sure how cars painted from the factory.

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 AM ----------

More likely it is a rock chip etc from transport unless you want to ship closed carrier.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I think there driving it from where ever so ill be buying it new with like 200 miles proly (not happy about it). They had to get it from a different dealer not the factory. They told me i'd have it Monday.....then Wednesday....now "for sure on Friday" so i hope i can pick it up today. I decided to demand free window tints or i wont take delivery because they kept saying different dates lol.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

It's hard, very hard to trust salesman their like lawyers, no offense to anyone....but theres a dealership in glenview il, Bredemann ford. They will go out of their way to service you, awesome group of guys there, they made my first new car buy an good experience. Sorry to hear you had the run around
Old 09-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Well salesman just called. Wont be there till 6pm tomorrow afternoon! I told him to tell his GM that i want free tints!
Old 09-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well salesman just called. Wont be there till 6pm tomorrow afternoon! I told him to tell his GM that i want free tints!
Are you kidding me? That's ridiculous that they can't give u a locked down confirmed date. Why tell you anything at all if it isn't a guarantee.

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
Old 09-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Thats why im mad.......its stupid. I just want my car already! I have a 12 loaner mustang now. Its a Auto gt but i got a stick and cant wait for it!
Old 09-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thats why im mad.......its stupid. I just want my car already! I have a 12 loaner mustang now. Its a Auto gt but i got a stick and cant wait for it!
Yeah and you want yours not a dealer car. Well look at it this way, u know what the three fastest cars in the world are right?

A government vehicle
A rental car
A dealership loaner.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Oh yeah i been tearing this one up......but i still want mine. Had this one a week now. And its black. I dont like black on the mustang. Mines grabber blue. That color creates orgasms in my head!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #21

Region: West Virgina

Picked mine up yesterday, they had to drive it up to WV from Georgia. Had a few spots with tar on it, I rubbed several of them and it came off so thought everything was OK. Hadn't been home 5 min when I realized one of the spots of "tar" was actually a pretty big scratch all the way down to bare metal. Took it back, they took responsibility, had me bring it in for the dent doctor guy to look at to see if it could be touched up. Turns out "Gotta Have It Green" is a 3 step paint process, touch-up not really an option for a scratch this size. Gotta wait almost 2 weeks to get it in the shop but they are going to give me a rental and repaint the whole door. Nice to have a dealership that works to keep the customer happy.
cerealkller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkller
Picked mine up yesterday, they had to drive it up to WV from Georgia. Had a few spots with tar on it, I rubbed several of them and it came off so thought everything was OK. Hadn't been home 5 min when I realized one of the spots of "tar" was actually a pretty big scratch all the way down to bare metal. Took it back, they took responsibility, had me bring it in for the dent doctor guy to look at to see if it could be touched up. Turns out "Gotta Have It Green" is a 3 step paint process, touch-up not really an option for a scratch this size. Gotta wait almost 2 weeks to get it in the shop but they are going to give me a rental and repaint the whole door. Nice to have a dealership that works to keep the customer happy.
Was it a chip with a dent? Where on the door was it?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How long do you have to take it to a dealer
Old 09-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Was it a chip with a dent? Where on the door was it?
No dent, fortunately but it is all the way down to metal. Its on the lower half of the door towards the center. Based on the shape I'd say it was a glancing blow, bigger toward the front then a little bit of taper.

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_james123 View Post
How long do you have to take it to a dealer
I called the as soon as I saw it and took it straight back to the dealership. If it had happened on my way home no way I would ave missed the sound of something hitting hard enough to do that kind of chip. I'm just glad the dealership didn't tr and argue it since I had left the lot. Makes me feel I'll get god service from them. They even topped my tank off since I had to make 2 extra trips to the lot.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

It looks their good on customer service... especially the fact that u found the scratch after u took delivery. Reason I asked where the scratch was is because mine came with a nasty 1/4" scratch at the bottom of the pass door... I'm just hoping that the paint job they do for u is spot on being that its a 3 stage paint job, the proper way of doing those is to blend the entire side (fender, door, 1/4) and get the orange back to close to factory finish... I guess I'm anal and believe factory finish is best, but I would have probably lived with the scratch with careful touch up depending where it was cuz... when u get it back, look it it straight in the sun just to see if the finish is uniform and not two tone like the car I refused to take back

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

Fyi... the one with the scratch was the 2nd car (dealer swap) and I didn't feel like going thru the search of looking for another car which would take months... :-/ but it was all original and never went under the knife so I took it
Old 09-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

CK there paint job very carefull all angles to make sure it match's GOOD LUCK
Lugnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
It looks their good on customer service... especially the fact that u found the scratch after u took delivery. Reason I asked where the scratch was is because mine came with a nasty 1/4" scratch at the bottom of the pass door... I'm just hoping that the paint job they do for u is spot on being that its a 3 stage paint job, the proper way of doing those is to blend the entire side (fender, door, 1/4) and get the orange back to close to factory finish... I guess I'm anal and believe factory finish is best, but I would have probably lived with the scratch with careful touch up depending where it was cuz... when u get it back, look it it straight in the sun just to see if the finish is uniform and not two tone like the car I refused to take back

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

Fyi... the one with the scratch was the 2nd car (dealer swap) and I didn't feel like going thru the search of looking for another car which would take months... :-/ but it was all original and never went under the knife so I took it
They told me t would take about 3 days to get it done, so hopefully that means it will be done the way you are saying. I'll be sure to ask. Thanks for the tips!
Old 09-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Look at the rear axle.......They dont paint them...I'm having the rust blown off mine and painted...
Virgo062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

I know this was an old thread brought back to life, but I'll add my two cents. Along with "don't pick it up at night", don't pick it up if it's raining. I took delivery of a new F-150 on a rainy day, and inspected it in a service bay to be out of the rain. The rain drops concealed a nice sized dent that I didn't notice until I was at home the next day, and the truck was dry.

Tim
Tim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #30
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Dang! Well sounds like they are pretty good!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion