any way to fix cracking coat on headlights? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-18-2012, 03:19 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
any way to fix cracking coat on headlights?

the clear coat on the headlights are cracking and coming off, is there any way to recoat it? like a spray or am i just screwed? haha the headlight itself is in good condition, its just the exterior protective coat is coming off and i would like to not buy new headlights.
if anyone has this problem chime in!
thanks guys!
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Re: any way to fix cracking coat on headlights?

Sand it and clear coat it. Just Google it. I read about it couple months ago
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Have you ever tried it? I just read that too but I've also read that the polish continuously needs reapplication
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

if you sand it and go at it with a rubbing compound you'll get it as good as you're gonna get. start with an 800, then 1200, and then a 2000 grit...you're taking that top layer off basically..then you polish like crazy with a compound ( i like meguiars scratch x )

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

If you want to do it quick, dirty and easy get 2 polish wheels from harbor freight, stick it on the end of your drill, after you tape off the paint around the headlights buff away with a rubbing compound, then with a polishing compound on the 2nd wheel...should take all of 30 minutes and will last about 6 months...I have done this many times on many cars. works great.

If you're worried about having to run the buffer over it every now and then replace them.

you'll be looking for this type of pad for a drill/ may need to buy and adapter...still very cheap. (the one pictured is for a bench grinder)

Abrasive Discs & Wheels - 5 piece 6 25 ply 1/2 Arbor Bench Grinder Buffing Polishing Wheels
JUNIORS08GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="JUNIORS08GT"]If you want to do it quick, dirty and easy get 2 polish wheels from harbor freight, stick it on the end of your drill, after you tape off the paint around the headlights buff away with a rubbing compound, then with a polis
Old 09-21-2012, 03:53 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Could I do it on the cracked part or do I have to sand the whole thing
Old 09-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

do the whole thing the results will be much cleaner and not look choppy...you"ll get a nice even finish.
JUNIORS08GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNIORS08GT
do the whole thing the results will be much cleaner and not look choppy...you"ll get a nice even finish.
I think I might just go buy some dark 01-04 headlights, I hate the chrome ones now

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion