2013 mustang gt... manual or auto? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
2013 mustang gt... manual or auto?

with the 2013 model, having a hard time deciding whether to go manual or auto. i can get a bone stock base gt with auto for the same price as a manual with leather and wheel package. decisions decisions. i know the auto has better times. but not worried about that. im worried about reliability.
my last manual was a 1990 240sx lol.
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Re: 2013 mustang gt... manual or auto?

Manual for sure. I just couldn't get an auto...just seems wrong.
Redrader26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

lol ive done alot of research and lots of people say that the manual has issues catching gears sometimes. im not gonna be tracking the car either. all ive heard and read was good reviews on the auto. some people swear by the auto, some people will only go manual. ill go manual if its total reliability. and saves me money since the manual im looking at does have a wheel package and with the auto, ill have to add my own wheel package. and the manual also has leather seats. and they are both the same price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrader26
Manual for sure. I just couldn't get an auto...just seems wrong.
I would get an auto if I wanted to build a drag car.. or if they ever come out with paddle shifters. For anything else, manuals rule.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
100000% manual all the way, it is just sooo much fun
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

lol not building anything of the sort. will be my daily driver. wanna keep in warranty and keep mainenace costs down.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13gtDarkKnight
lol not building anything of the sort. will be my daily driver. wanna keep in warranty and keep mainenace costs down.
Same thing i said when i got it 1 month ago and now i am ordering headers catless x pipe with a cai and tune lol. Hope u dont get addicted with all the fun mods. Lol
Old 09-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Lol haha I only plan on doing 3.73 gears. Flowmaster Outlaw Axleback. Light suspension mods to decrease body roll. Oil sep.

I'm just trying to get a feel for how strong and reliable the manual trans is
Old 09-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol haha I only plan on doing 3.73 gears. Flowmaster Outlaw Axleback. Light suspension mods to decrease body roll. Oil sep.

I'm just trying to get a feel for how strong and reliable the manual trans is
The first 600 miles i felt it kind of bad but i was told by everyone and the dealer that it was normal and was just breaking in, and it was true now it runs superrrrr smooth, just dont beat on the car too hard for the first 500-800 miles
Old 09-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
Road Trip!

An auto isn't fun? The good thing about manuals is it gets rid of texting and driving. I personally will never own a manual mustang, not because I text and drive, but because I have no interest in taking my chances on a mt82. The auto trans are getting better and better. I have raced plenty of mustangs on the street, and the manuals get inconsistent launches and shifts from the drivers I've raced. They could just be bad drivers though I guess. If the trans changes in the future, I will consider a manual.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

I would get an auto if I wanted to build a drag car.. or if they ever come out with paddle shifters. For anything else, manuals rule.
The new SST works great with a tune...not saying its comparable to DCT ha. That feature and the reliability of the auto is why I went that route. I will be adding power adders though.
For fun DD factor, go manual.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03
An auto isn't fun? The good thing about manuals is it gets rid of texting and driving. I personally will never own a manual mustang, not because I text and drive, but because I have no interest in taking my chances on a mt82. The auto trans are getting better and better. I have raced plenty of mustangs on the street, and the manuals get inconsistent launches and shifts from the drivers I've raced. They could just be bad drivers though I guess. If the trans changes in the future, I will consider a manual.
Most of the people that own manual is not bc they want to be faster, it is because we enjoy the joy of driving and changing gear our self. I had 2 auto car before and it just wasnt the same in my opinion..
Old 09-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmmm but aren't the autos much better?

How is the pressure on the clutch. I broke my back and neck in 2010. And have pretty bad nerve damage on the left side of my body. So I don't wanna have a back spasm going down the road when using the clutch
Old 09-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

It all depends on the person, if u get a bad tranny ford will get u a new one so dont worry about that.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Right and that's why I'd get a manual. You feel in complete control of your machine. It's more like you drive the car instead of ride along and steer
Old 09-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Right and that's why I'd get a manual. You feel in complete control of your machine. It's more like you drive the car instead of ride along and steer
Exactly!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen

Exactly!!!!!!
I put it in select shift mode when I get that urge. Paddle shifters would nice though.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

What I have found that when people miss gears and blame it on the equipment is they try to force it into gear instead of just letting it work. You should be able to shift with only using 2 fingers to either push or pull.
But of course those than think they have to slam shift and bang gears...then miss, often blame it on the equipment instead of the operator

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

I'll have to go test drive them both next week. See how my back reacts with applying frequent pressure with my left foot.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What I have found that when people miss gears and blame it on the equipment is they try to force it into gear instead of just letting it work. You should be able to shift with only using 2 fingers to either push or pull.
But of course those than think they have to slam shift and bang gears...then miss, often blame it on the equipment instead of the operator

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

I'll have to go test drive them both next week. See how my back reacts with applying frequent pressure with my left foot.
That is wat i did, test drive both and choose, at the end of the day they are both great!!
Old 09-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
+1000000 you just can't go wrong with manual.
S197STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
The clutch pressure is very light stock. I just purchased a 2013 gt premium a month ago and test drove an automatic first. That test drive was over quickly and I didn't even test drive the manual. I just knew I wouldn't have as much fun with the automatic. If im not mistaken there is a recall or a tsb out already on 2013 automatics. I'll check when I get back to work on monday. I have a bad back from an injury 14 years ago and have no problems driving the manual. If you test drive a premium the driver seat has adjustable lumber support. You'll get the best advice from yourself when you go test driving. Enjoy your new mustang when you get it.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Oh I forgot to mention. Im on vacation in the north ga mountains right now and love driving this car through twisty mountain roads. Like someone already said its not for speed but for the fun of driving your car.
Heartless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
with the 2013 model, having a hard time deciding whether to go manual or auto. i can get a bone stock base gt with auto for the same price as a manual with leather and wheel package. decisions decisions. i know the auto has better times. but not worried about that. im worried about reliability.
my last manual was a 1990 240sx lol.
Since you aren't worried about track times you should definitely go with the manual. It is much more fun to drive when you are out on the street.
Srohda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

AGREED! i told my cousin he is gonna have a hard time convincing me to get out of the maual. i like to feel like im 1 with the car lol so to speak
Old 09-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Ford Motor Company has issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for the 2011 Ford Mustang when equipped with a manual transmission, whether it is the 3.7L V6 model or the new 5.0L Mustang GT. This TSB applies to all 2011 Mustangs built on or before April 25, 2010 and pertains to an issue with the clutch pedal.

It seems that when drivers of these affected 2011 Mustangs push the clutch in at high RPMs, it may remain down because the centrifugal forces on the clutch are preventing it from re-engaging. Once the engine RPM is reduced and the forces against the clutch assembly come down, the clutch may suddenly re-engage. Imagine tearing down a back road and powershifting in to 3rd gear, only to have the clutch not pop back up. You immediately let off the throttle as you sense something is wrong and within a few seconds the clutch engages, ripping the car into 3rd gear. Even if it doesn’t startle you when it pops into gear, this is the kind of thing that will cause you to lose a race if you can’t get from gear to gear quickly.
Advertisement

While that shouldn’t present a major issue, it can create a dangerous situation so Ford has issued a TSB for all of these 2011 Mustangs to stop by their local dealership and get the problem repaired free of charge. Technicians will be replacing the brake pedal and bracket assembly and it is listed as charging 8 tenths of an hour…so expect the fix to take an hour or two. There has been no indication that the NHTSA is investigating the 2011 Mustang so a recall looks unlikely but that will all depend on reports of this problem in the near future.

If you have one of the early release 2011 Ford Mustangs with a manual transmission – even if you haven’t experienced this issue – it is best to check with your dealership about having the repair made to prevent the problem in the future. Luckily, since the problem only seems to pertain to the first run of 2011 Mustangs, it shouldn’t have much impact on Ford’s pony car sales in the coming months
Old 09-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I love the manual and have never had one problem or inconsistent shifting 1-4 even power shifting the only problem I have had us 5th. I grind 5th every now and then even slow shifting and can never power shift 5th
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+1
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

2013 Ford Mustang Recalls, Defects, & Problems
Old 09-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
When I go to the drags I'm really glad I have an auto. When I'm on a road course, I'm really upset I was stupid and bought an auto. I drive mine everyday, I don't miss manual.

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Only my two cents here but part of the thrill of a muscle car is grabbin gears. If its gonna be a muscle car is gotta be a manual for me. Now my daily driver auto all day. We bought ours as a toy, something to just have a good time with. I might have a different opinion if it was my DD.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Manual. You will kick yourself when everything is all said and done, down the road.
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

i think its gonna be a maual. i do like the ease of auto in city traffic, but i do like goin on daily drives thru backroads.
im just wondering if anyone has had any issues with the manaul trans.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Haven't had any problems with mine but I only have 1000 miles on it. Get a good shifter like barton or mgw and it will help with shifter feel and other various issues from what ive read. Ive read about a lot of issues with the tranny but I've also read plenty others with no issues. Unfortunately all new things come with some problems here and there but I think the good greatly out weighs the bad.
Heartless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

the way i see it, nothing can be mass produced and not have a few bad apples somewhere along the line. my Z32 is auto and i hate it being autotragic.
short throw will definitely be added too
Old 09-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I read the first few posts, and then skipped most of the rest, so my apologies if I say something again.

I suggest manual. You have a reason for no one to drive your car. YOU control it. You. That means the world to me, choosing what it does. Manual weighs less, and gets better mileage. Downshifting saves brake wear (i know, more clutch wear) and when you get exhuast done, you will love it. I almost never brake, always in gear listenxing to that growl.

Then there is bump starting, rolling around without being in gear, grabbing the gear, so on.

For a v6, do not worry about it. Unless you go super or turbo, you will be fine. If it can handle people in GTs adding power and abusing it, it can handle you. Some one else said it the other day, and I agree, it is brilliant we have the same tranny as the GT.

A Ford dealer told me autos usually come with LRR tires. Not like Prius style, but the final gear, LRR tires, and weight cutting help it get 31. In a standard, you choose to get 22 mpg, or 35 mpg. Yes, there is the little push buttons to shift gear in an auto, but they suck. Ford was asked why they did push buttons, instead of paddles, and they straight up said it is not meant to be sporty. It is just an extra option. Paddles would give a false sportiness that the tranny can not deliver.

The standard, for me, only has two flaws. When going into 5th, on the right side of the gate it can make a grinding sound when you shift fast. I drive more fuel efficiently, and in the city I rarely use much fuel, a little starting in 2nd, and I let the engine idle do everything else. I shift fast, and a lot, and when you move real quick or aggressively fifth can make the 'oh spit' grinding sound.

Also, twice now when I have been in first and started on a hill, it went into reverse instead of 1st. I mean I was in first slowing to the train crossing, cut the engine and put the clutch in. Did not touch the shifter. Started her up, eased the clutch to get moving and she went backwards. It is on a hill, but not rolling backwards on a hill, it grabbed reverse. Both times scarred me pretty bad, but now I am just extra careful at that crossing and on hills. Do NOT shut the engine off or push in the clutch. Your spit might change. (Any one else have this happen to them?)

Of course it is your buy you have to live with, but the complete control is mandatory for me. And when the new standard is auto, having a real standard will always make your car a treat to drive. Every day I go to work, and get off work, I just can not wait drive. Whether it is trying to get 40mpg in town, or it is spinning the tires in second and not letting an idiot in a slow car try to cut you off, you always have control, and always decide what YOU want. But then again, that is something that I want.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

and thats exactly why i want a manual.
and the videos and research i have done, the only complaints were the 5th gear shift.
theres only 1 thing left to do and thats to go get it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
2013 mustang