CAI for a mach 1 or no? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
MachMan1017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Colorado
Posts: 366
CAI for a mach 1 or no?

Looking to get better air flow, plus a tuner( thinking bama) to get even better mpg.

I'm just worried to go with a CAI because unfortunately for the Mach is my DD and winter is coming up... So I'm worried about water puddles... Slush, and of course it would defeat the purpose of my shaker.

What are some of your guys' thoughts?
MachMan1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mezmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Kansas
Posts: 230
Re: CAI for a mach 1 or no?

JLT Next Generation Mustang Ram Air Intake (03-04 Mach 1) RAI2-FMM-0304 - Free Shipping!

This is what I have.
__________________
2004 Mustang Mach 1 - SY
Exhaust - Wanna be Flomasters...
JLT Ram Air Intake
SR Performance Short Throw Shifter
Mezmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
MachMan1017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Colorado
Posts: 366
How do you like it?
Noticeable gain on hp and mpg?
MachMan1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mezmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Kansas
Posts: 230
Re: CAI for a mach 1 or no?

I like it. I really can't tell a difference anymore, but when I first got it I noticed a little more power. My MPG stayed the same, but that could be because I have a lead foot.
__________________
2004 Mustang Mach 1 - SY
Exhaust - Wanna be Flomasters...
JLT Ram Air Intake
SR Performance Short Throw Shifter
Mezmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
MachMan1017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Colorado
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezmer
I like it. I really can't tell a difference anymore, but when I first got it I noticed a little more power. My MPG stayed the same, but that could be because I have a lead foot.
Did you have to drill a hole and make adjustments? I was reading issues with that model of how you can't close your hood till you shave a inch off of it? Not totally certain.
MachMan1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mezmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Kansas
Posts: 230
Re: CAI for a mach 1 or no?

Nope, no fab work for me.
__________________
2004 Mustang Mach 1 - SY
Exhaust - Wanna be Flomasters...
JLT Ram Air Intake
SR Performance Short Throw Shifter
Mezmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
Site Sponsor
Sponsor
 
AMWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malvern
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,171
Re: CAI for a mach 1 or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachMan1017 View Post
Looking to get better air flow, plus a tuner( thinking bama) to get even better mpg.

I'm just worried to go with a CAI because unfortunately for the Mach is my DD and winter is coming up... So I'm worried about water puddles... Slush, and of course it would defeat the purpose of my shaker.

What are some of your guys' thoughts?

MachMan1017,

I highly recommend our JLT CAI for any Mach1, as well. It's a really nice and clean setup that doesn't require any fitment adjustments. Plus, you'll see an even bigger hp/tq gain with a Bama SF3 tuner installed. From what it sounds, you're looking for a no hassel/year round CAI and show noticeable improvements, so I think the JLT CAI is perfect for you!

If you're looking for more info on Bama SF3 tuners or CAI's let me know, I'll be happy to help!

Shane
__________________
Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,860
Re: CAI for a mach 1 or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachMan1017 View Post
How do you like it?
Noticeable gain on hp and mpg?
I have the JLT next gen setup as well. I noticed a difference in response first off. It looks better than the stock setup too.

Right before you start your CAI kit install, disconnect the battery. Once you have your CAI kit installed and the MAF connected, re-connect the battery. Now you'll be ready to perform the idle re-learn...

Start the car let it idle while the engine gets up to operating temperature, then wait one minute.

Turn the AC to Max for at least one minute, then turn off A/C.

Then go drive the car for about 10 miles.

This allows the ECU to re-learn your idle and fuel trim strategy.

__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
MachMan1017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Colorado
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

I have the JLT next gen setup as well. I noticed a difference in response first off. It looks better than the stock setup too.

Right before you start your CAI kit install, disconnect the battery. Once you have your CAI kit installed and the MAF connected, re-connect the battery. Now you'll be ready to perform the idle re-learn...

Start the car let it idle while the engine gets up to operating temperature, then wait one minute.

Turn the AC to Max for at least one minute, then turn off A/C.

Then go drive the car for about 10 miles.

This allows the ECU to re-learn your idle and fuel trim strategy.

Awesome to know thanks. But once again I'm worried about doing the CAI intake because I live in Colorado and it gets snowy here and it's my dd... So I think I need to stick with the jlt RAI for now don't you? And the difference in power of a CAI and a RAI I'm not worried about. But is their a significant power increase with the CAI and bama? Rather than the Bama tune and RAI?

I would just hate to suck up water lol.

Plus loosing the functionality of my shaker? Come onnnnnnnnn.
MachMan1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachMan1017 View Post

Awesome to know thanks. But once again I'm worried about doing the CAI intake because I live in Colorado and it gets snowy here and it's my dd... So I think I need to stick with the jlt RAI for now don't you? And the difference in power of a CAI and a RAI I'm not worried about. But is their a significant power increase with the CAI and bama? Rather than the Bama tune and RAI?

I would just hate to suck up water lol.

Plus loosing the functionality of my shaker? Come onnnnnnnnn.
CAI and RAI are equal because the really is no ram air effect until maybe 70+ MPH...

When I bought my Mach, it had the fender JLT CAI setup. I was uncomfortable with that because I use mine as a daily driver too. I decided I wanted keep the functionality of the shaker setup, so I bought the JLT next gen CAI setup (linked above a few posts). The JLT fender setup is supposed to gain more HP, but I didn't care. I wanted to use the shaker and didn't want to filter hanging in the fender.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
cai

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



01:30 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.