Window magic - Why? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Window magic - Why?

Why do the windows go up like that when you close the door? I have always wanted to know that..
BlackHorse1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
It's to protect the window weather striping at the top of the door frame.

I used to have a 2 door dodge avenger and sometimes when you shut the door the window would not go under the weather stripping, it would sit on top and I would have to open the door again and shut while holding the window in place.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
It's to protect the window weather striping at the top of the door frame.

I used to have a 2 door dodge avenger and sometimes when you shut the door the window would not go under the weather stripping, it would sit on top and I would have to open the door again and shut while holding the window in place.
Ohhh.. Ford is smart.
BlackHorse1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I've read also it prevents the window from breaking because on the older models there was nothing that really kept the glass stabile and some rare cases the glass would hit and break. Least, that's what happened on my friends 98.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Also allows for the windows to fully seal when closed which in turn reduces wind noise.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegischief
Also allows for the windows to fully seal when closed which in turn reduces wind noise.
^ yes it creates a weather tight seal and works to pressurize the cabin learned that from infinity.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Other cars do it too.

My Mini Cooper did it as well as my friend Jack's Porsche. You just do not want to push the door shut using the glass. Use the door handle or the door but never the glass.

You really got to watch your passengers when they get out and tell them not to use the glass to close the door.

There is no upper frame on these type of windows and pushing on the glass can cause a lot of wear and tear and loosen the glass in the channel giving you all sorts of problems in time.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
My Mini Cooper did it as well as my friend Jack's Porsche. You just do not want to push the door shut using the glass. Use the door handle or the door but never the glass.

You really got to watch your passengers when they get out and tell them not to use the glass to close the door.

There is no upper frame on these type of windows and pushing on the glass can cause a lot of wear and tear and loosen the glass in the channel giving you all sorts of problems in time.

Ronnie
Never thought of that, but I never close a car by it's glass. haha weird that I think of it now. I guess after owning 2 convertibles it's second a nature
Old 09-28-2012, 02:59 AM   #9
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning
I've read also it prevents the window from breaking because on the older models there was nothing that really kept the glass stabile and some rare cases the glass would hit and break. Least, that's what happened on my friends 98.
Geez! How hard was your friend shutting his door? Lol
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

Geez! How hard was your friend shutting his door? Lol
Her* and she put her hand on the glass and just closed the door and it hit the weather stripping and cracked it to hell and back
Old 09-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Keep doing it and it will happen.

If you are extremely very lucky it will be just fine closing the door by using the window glass.
**************************BUT***********************

If you are like the other 99% either you will have a problem such as the window will not work at all, a broken window, or the dreaded out of sync meaning the window will not go all the way up or all the way down until it is reprogrammed.

It is all to easy just to use the door handle
A little harder to train your passengers to do the same.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion