32v rebuild tips - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mxwilly387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 80
32v rebuild tips

So I start my motor rebuild saturday, car had been apart since march so can't wait to here that baby purr! Any tips on lubes and silicones when putting it back together. Like a brand anybody uses. I just want to make sure everything goes as smooth as possible and done right. Lol any info is apretiated
Mxwilly387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
32vNomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxwilly387 View Post
So I start my motor rebuild saturday, car had been apart since march so can't wait to here that baby purr! Any tips on lubes and silicones when putting it back together. Like a brand anybody uses. I just want to make sure everything goes as smooth as possible and done right. Lol any info is apretiated
What was the reason for a rebuild???
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mxwilly387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad

What was the reason for a rebuild???
Spun some rod bearings. Had crank turned, replacing rods with Manley h beam. New oil pump and basically bearings and gaskets and new rings. Already have all the parts and are paid for just waiting on main bearing bolts to come in from summit tomorrow or Thursday and be ready to start rebuild. But to answer the question alittle better I ran it low on oil. Lol my mess up costing now about 2k
Mxwilly387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
32vNomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxwilly387

Spun some rod bearings. Had crank turned, replacing rods with Manley h beam. New oil pump and basically bearings and gaskets and new rings. Already have all the parts and are paid for just waiting on main bearing bolts to come in from summit tomorrow or Thursday and be ready to start rebuild. But to answer the question alittle better I ran it low on oil. Lol my mess up costing now about 2k
Why H beam rods and no pistons??? Seems like overkill for a re ring and bearing. Stock rods in that mach can take a punishment. I would up bearings to clevite 77's if not already. Forged I beams would have saved you cash and are just as durable... that is unless you got a sweet deal. Are there any hp goals or just a rebuild?
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mxwilly387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad

Why H beam rods and no pistons??? Seems like overkill for a re ring and bearing. Stock rods in that mach can take a punishment. I would up bearings to clevite 77's if not already. Forged I beams would have saved you cash and are just as durable... that is unless you got a sweet deal. Are there any hp goals or just a rebuild?
When I spun the rod bearings I messed up some rods and there not forged from factory it's a Mach motor which only crank is forged. Only plan is to boost but only like 10lbs enventually. I've heard stock gt boosting as hi as 12 so I shouldn't have a problem. And went ahead and went with the h beam cause they are a lot stronger then stock ones. Rods are weakest point on a Mach 32v motor from what I've read and heard. Crank is good because its cobra crank and pistons I'm not to much worried about if a gt can boost over ten I shouldn't have a problem. I just want the stock eton off cobra when I get the extra funds then ill be done with what I want to do to it
Mxwilly387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
32vNomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxwilly387 View Post
When I spun the rod bearings I messed up some rods and there not forged from factory it's a Mach motor which only crank is forged. Only plan is to boost but only like 10lbs enventually. I've heard stock gt boosting as hi as 12 so I shouldn't have a problem. And went ahead and went with the h beam cause they are a lot stronger then stock ones. Rods are weakest point on a Mach 32v motor from what I've read and heard. Crank is good because its cobra crank and pistons I'm not to much worried about if a gt can boost over ten I shouldn't have a problem. I just want the stock eton off cobra when I get the extra funds then ill be done with what I want to do to it
Your information is alittle off the 4v rods are alittle stronger than the GT's. The weakest link in a modular is usually the tune. Wrong tunes that cause detonation are they root cause of engine failure. I would never willingly put an eaton on my engine as well. (heaton eaton) I myself am going with a procharger for my 4v. And the crank is only forged on a Manual model, all autos have cast cranks. Pistons are not "cobra" pistons They are the same pistons as the GT's though not as dished, and they are the same as the Mark VIII's. All N/A factory ford modular engines come with hypereutectic pistons and Sinter Forged cracked rods. The only forged aluminum piston used in a mod engine is the 03-04 Cobra. A Mach can handle a 10-12lbs with an air to air intercooler easy with stock configuration. And with a bad tune combined with wrong gapped rings and detonation means the crowns of the pistons to possibly break. I just built my 4v and made sure to gap the rings for FI.
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mxwilly387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad

Your information is alittle off the 4v rods are alittle stronger than the GT's. The weakest link in a modular is usually the tune. Wrong tunes that cause detonation are they root cause of engine failure. I would never willingly put an eaton on my engine as well. (heaton eaton) I myself am going with a procharger for my 4v. And the crank is only forged on a Manual model, all autos have cast cranks. Pistons are not "cobra" pistons They are the same pistons as the GT's though not as dished, and they are the same as the Mark VIII's. All N/A factory ford modular engines come with hypereutectic pistons and Sinter Forged cracked rods. The only forged aluminum piston used in a mod engine is the 03-04 Cobra. A Mach can handle a 10-12lbs with an air to air intercooler easy with stock configuration. And with a bad tune combined with wrong gapped rings and detonation means the crowns of the pistons to possibly break. I just built my 4v and made sure to gap the rings for FI.
I have a 5 speed, it does have the forged crank but piston and rods I know arnt forged, that's why I went ahead and put the h beam in. I'm trying to stay away from paying 3-6k for FI that's why I was looking at the eaton. But any ideas on good pro chargers turbochargers or superchargers under that would be nice info to know
Mxwilly387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
32vNomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxwilly387

I have a 5 speed, it does have the forged crank but piston and rods I know arnt forged, that's why I went ahead and put the h beam in. I'm trying to stay away from paying 3-6k for FI that's why I was looking at the eaton. But any ideas on good pro chargers turbochargers or superchargers under that would be nice info to know
The thing about the eaton is yeah you can find a used wore out one, that someone upgraded to a KB. But the parts you would need such as water cooler bottle, lower intake, tubes, hoses, pullies, front cover, etc. a procharger may cost a bit but worth the investment. Plus there's no big mods to install. Plus are self contained, meaning no oil or coolant lines to run. If you like turbos check On3 Performance. Kits are decently priced.
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mxwilly387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad

The thing about the eaton is yeah you can find a used wore out one, that someone upgraded to a KB. But the parts you would need such as water cooler bottle, lower intake, tubes, hoses, pullies, front cover, etc. a procharger may cost a bit but worth the investment. Plus there's no big mods to install. Plus are self contained, meaning no oil or coolant lines to run. If you like turbos check On3 Performance. Kits are decently priced.
Thanks for the info boss, do you have anything on yours?
Mxwilly387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
32vNomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxwilly387

Thanks for the info boss, do you have anything on yours?
Sort of the same boat. I had to shift from car mode to home repair mode. I myself built a teskid 4v. NA as of now but built it with 9.7cr so it would still give a stout perform but would be ready for FI.
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mxwilly387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad

Sort of the same boat. I had to shift from car mode to home repair mode. I myself built a teskid 4v. NA as of now but built it with 9.7cr so it would still give a stout perform but would be ready for FI.
Talking about bad luck, I took off work today my step dad and I was going to start rebuilding my motor, put crank it everything going good all parts are clean. Go to take end caps off the Manley rods 2 of the 8 had bad bolts his half inch impact wouldn't even take them off. Took the rods to the place ordered them from and the guy said the bolts are bent and it was twisting the end cap. So now have to wait until Tuesday to get new ones. Sucks no pay plus had to pay has money to drive to Houston to pick up oil pump and rings as well cause the performance shop here in town ordered the wrong ones. Not to good of a day
Mxwilly387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



05:19 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.