351 w, 5.8 engine complete rebuild - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-07-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
stangcobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 155
351 w, 5.8 engine complete rebuild

Id like to talk to u all and hash out the different options I can do to build this engine. The main thing to keep in mind is in a couple years ill be buying a kennebell 2.3L sc. And pushin about 18-20psi into the 5.8l.

Also wuld building it to take the sc and an accasonional spray of wet nitro be feasable (100-150 shot)?

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

My chevy buddy told me that 114 lob seperation is the max for nitro and the minimum for sc. (Idk how to write the lobe seperation numbers, my apologies)
stangcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
claudermilk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: California
Posts: 598
That should be fun. Lots of options out there for you, especially since 302 & 351 parts mostly are interchangeable. My brother-in-law and I have a fairly stock rebuilt 351 stuffed in a Pinto. Still plenty of power for that little chassis.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
stangcobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk
That should be fun. Lots of options out there for you, especially since 302 & 351 parts mostly are interchangeable. My brother-in-law and I have a fairly stock rebuilt 351 stuffed in a Pinto. Still plenty of power for that little chassis.
What hp and torque u makin?
stangcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
claudermilk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: California
Posts: 598
No idea, it's still a work in progress. I would assume about stockish (probably a little less--it's all tired junkyard-quality parts). Block is from a '75 Galaxy 500, heads are from a 302 Cougar, intake & carb are Edelbrock, using Mountaineer cast manifolds (they make it all fit).

I know it's enough torque to have started popping spot welds, requiring 2x2 subframe connectors to be run through the floor pan--even with a 6-point roll bar. The rear panel can still be heard flexing when we get on it. It will almost keep up with my '13 GT, but still has a lot of work to go.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
stangcobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk
No idea, it's still a work in progress. I would assume about stockish (probably a little less--it's all tired junkyard-quality parts). Block is from a '75 Galaxy 500, heads are from a 302 Cougar, intake & carb are Edelbrock, using Mountaineer cast manifolds (they make it all fit).

I know it's enough torque to have started popping spot welds, requiring 2x2 subframe connectors to be run through the floor pan--even with a 6-point roll bar. The rear panel can still be heard flexing when we get on it. It will almost keep up with my '13 GT, but still has a lot of work to go.
Oh damn. Wuld u go fuel injection or carb?

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

Ik urs is carb. Jw ur preference.
stangcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
claudermilk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: California
Posts: 598
Yep, carbed. It's simpler. When the 351 block was being rebuilt, we had a junkyard 302 from a Lincoln (yeah! Hotrod Lincoln!) in it. We pulled the fuel injection intake off it & used a spare Edelbrock carb intake. I love how interchangeable the Windsor parts are--it's like big boy Legos.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
stangcobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk
Yep, carbed. It's simpler. When the 351 block was being rebuilt, we had a junkyard 302 from a Lincoln (yeah! Hotrod Lincoln!) in it. We pulled the fuel injection intake off it & used a spare Edelbrock carb intake. I love how interchangeable the Windsor parts are--it's like big boy Legos.
Ya. I'm trying to find a gt so I can do the swap
stangcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

« Tuners | new carpet »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



11:53 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.