Gears? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Gears?

Anyone regret getting 4.10 gears instead if 3.73s? Or regret getting 3.73s instead if 4.10s. If so why? I have a 2000 gt vert 5 speed. Let me know thanks
Jheard517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I've only had it to the track once, I picked it up about 4 months ago. I got it from an older lady with 62,000 miles on it. It came with a JLT CAI, and SLP OR/ x pipe with deleted cats. So till stock, with **** tires I ran a mid 14. I just to see low 13s hight 12s. I'm new to the mustang but I had a 97 mark 8 LSC that I did work to. But it's def a different car.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
If i were you, i would get just some simple bolt ons like some headers and gears if your looking for lower numbers. Throttle intake? Heads? I would deffinately get some kind of sct tuner. It helps out so much with mods. But anything would help. Just keep building and building and those numbers will just keep going down.
Tylercribbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Get the 4.10's that's what I have and just are great you feel the power so quickly, I ran a 13.2 with other mods a month or so ago 02 gt
Old 10-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Don't fear the gear.
SR Performance Short Throw Shifter
Mezmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jheard517
I've only had it to the track once, I picked it up about 4 months ago. I got it from an older lady with 62,000 miles on it. It came with a JLT CAI, and SLP OR/ x pipe with deleted cats. So till stock, with **** tires I ran a mid 14. I just to see low 13s hight 12s. I'm new to the mustang but I had a 97 mark 8 LSC that I did work to. But it's def a different car.
Should of kept the mark VIII, I was running 14.0 flats with just a high stall in my 94 mark, then I installed 410 gears but never made it back to the track but I'm assuming it would of of run mid 13s, plus I still had plenty of mods I could of done

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Don't get me wrong I loved my mark, I had gears, tune, new trans, new diff, trans cooler, rebuilt my motor. It was nice, but I love banging gears, and I wanted a convertible. Plus searching for original parts was difficult, not to mention that they were costly.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jheard517 View Post
Anyone regret getting 4.10 gears instead if 3.73s? Or regret getting 3.73s instead if 4.10s. If so why? I have a 2000 gt vert 5 speed. Let me know thanks
You honestly can't go wrong. It really depends on what your goals are for the car. Basically if its your daily driver and you go on the highway often, then I'd go with 3.73's.

However if you don't drive it everyday and you really aren't cruising for long periods of time at 65+MPH then 4.10s will be perfect for you!

Those are the two basics to think about when purchasing gears. I agree with these guys, don't fear the gear! Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It's not my everyday car, I mainly take it out on the weekends to cruise and go head hunting. I'm not worried about gas mileage, cause I just don't care lol. The only thing I'm worried about is traction issues, if someone can let me know of a good street/drag radial I'm sure ill be ok. I want to build up the car as much as I can. I do want to put on a s/c but you know how things change down the road. I just want to be happy even if I change my mind about the sc.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jheard517 View Post
It's not my everyday car, I mainly take it out on the weekends to cruise and go head hunting. I'm not worried about gas mileage, cause I just don't care lol. The only thing I'm worried about is traction issues, if someone can let me know of a good street/drag radial I'm sure ill be ok. I want to build up the car as much as I can. I do want to put on a s/c but you know how things change down the road. I just want to be happy even if I change my mind about the sc.
So everything you're saying here definitely steers you in the direction of 4.10's! However if you do plan on going SC, 4.10s may be a lot of gear. You'll be shifting every time you hit full boost, but it will be on wicked weekend car.

If you through a nice Mickey Thompson ET Street or Nitto NT555/NT05R on there, you'll be in good shape with traction !

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion