I Can't Believe This! Has It Happened To You? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
I Can't Believe This! Has It Happened To You?

I took my car to Galpin Ford, to find out exactly where the noise is coming from, what's causing it. The service mgr. takes a ride and says it sounds like a Rear wheel Bearing. A friend tells me her roommate just happens to be a recently retired Ford Mechanic of 35 years. After he takes a drive in my car, he tells me LH Rear Wheel Bearing but, it could be a Pinion bearing. Since he wasn't sure, I got two other opinions. Both of which said, "Rear Wheel Bearings."

So, the Rear Wheel Bearings win by default! I take it back to the dealer and tell them I wanted to replace BOTH Rear Wheel Bearings. Sounds pretty cut and dried, right?

I'm told, it will take about two hours and will cost approximately $200.00 + parts $33.00 x 2. No problem! Ha!
After 3 hours, I get called over to the service bay, to see my car, wheels still on but, the Differential cover off. (I just replaced the Gear Oil w/Royal Purple 2 days before which the knew). I assume I'm being called over there to be asked which gear oil I want in there. WRONG! They haven't even touched the wheels! So, I specifically said, "You didn't have any problems changing the Rear Wheel Bearings, did you?" The mechanic looks at me and says, what? He must have known I was about to blow it, because he backed up a step! I look around No boxes of new bearings anywhere. He's telling me that I need to have my Pinion bearing replaced because it's loose! He moves the driveshaft and the pinon bearing move about 1/5000th of an inch. I lost it! Did I over react? And then hands me an estimate of $1278.68! WTF???

REAR DIFFERENTIAL OVERHAUL BEARINGS $977.68
REAR BRAKES pads $186.00
REAR AXLE DIAGNOSTIC $115.00

Where is the Rear Wheel Bearings I want replaced? That was the reason I went there! So, I'm told to going back while to the waiting room. I was there there waiting for 6hours! When I was called back to my car, NO one was around, everyone had gone home! But, 1 wheel had been removed.

Please tell me, what do I do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121008_174501.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	71638   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121008_174546.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	452.3 KB
ID:	71639  

Name:	20121008_174613.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	71640  
SCCofSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
check your local laws, unless you gave them permission to perform some labor/replacement on your car they cant. They have to many times give you an up front quote as well as get your permission. Of course they can always pull the "you said we could" bs.... but I would check the local laws on this.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I don't see a problem, they had to remove the rear diff cover to pull the C-clips so they could remove the axle bearings. He just happen to discover that you pinion bearing was bad , not the axle bearings. Just because they though the axle bearings were bad , they still need to make sure that is what was really the problem. What would you have done if they replaced the wheel bearings, and you drove off only to hear the same sound? You would have been pissed that they did not discover the real problem.
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
I do see a problem, that price jump is outrageous. A thousand dollars over the original estimated cost.

I would not get overly excited about the need for more than 1 or 2 wheel bearings being replaced though, because if one fails and spreads metallic particles all through the rearend you should expect to possibly have to replace all of the bearings. Personally I would replace all of the bearings and seals if it were my car, but then I do all of my own repairs, so the labor would be nil.

Price all 5 bearings and 3 seals yourself (2 axle, 2 carrier and 1 pinion bearings, 2 axle and 1 pinion seals) and see what they cost, then find out how much time is needed to replace them, then add up their cost per hour for labor. I'm afraid you might find out that the cost is within reason for the labor rates in your area, or it may be way off.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The original estimated cost was for a different repair. It is no different than getting a price on brake pads, then finding out you need calipers and rotors. Service writers don't have a Crystal ball. And the mechanic called him out to look at the car BEFORE pulling it apart, He could put the cover back on, fill it with oil and go somewere else if he wanted too.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_T2 View Post
The original estimated cost was for a different repair. It is no different than getting a price on brake pads, then finding out you need calipers and rotors. Service writers don't have a Crystal ball. And the mechanic called him out to look at the car BEFORE pulling it apart, He could put the cover back on, fill it with oil and go somewere else if he wanted too.
Yes, I know that and I agree with you. My post wasn't meant to be in disagreement with you. Sorry I wasn't clear and that you misunderstood.

Who wouldn't have a mad panic attack though, when confronted with an estimate that had grown in size that much.
I guess if you don't know how and cannot check it to see for yourself, you are stuck with either getting it done or taking it somewhere else for another opinion.

Here is the cost for a complete bearing kit. - $74.99 at American Muscle

Makes you wonder how they came up with $977.68 doesn't it?
Surely it does not take $900 worth of labor to install the bearings?

I have seen numerous cases over the years where mechs, especially at dealerships, have tried to pull shady crap just to inflate a bill too, which is why I work on my own stuff when I can and when I can't I have people locally that I trust, who will take care of issues for me when I cannot. One of the benefits of living in a small community.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Sounds like me.. Went in to get a 25$ oil change.. Came out with a 928$ bill from a new oil pan cuz the one I had the plug was stripped out. I was mad.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Sounds like me.. Went in to get a 25$ oil change.. Came out with a 928$ bill from a new oil pan cuz the one I had the plug was stripped out. I was mad.
That's exactly the kind of crap I'm talking about.
No way should it cost that much to just replace an oil pan.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
that's nothing lol I just took my 2010 corolla to the dealership I bought it from because there was a rattle on start up ( cam tensioner ) recall ! so I take it in they replaced the tensioner and said they cracked the tensioner bracket... loaner car for 4 days I got it back 15 min before closing on a Saturday drive it home and it starts sounding like a diesel so I take it back and well let there work order explain the rest... ya motor came out and cam bearings for got to go back in !!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1111929336.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	71689  
and and and I DRIVE IT LIKE I STOLE IT !!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K_QJ...ure=plcp<br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWfvYVYlfio&feature=plcp
Sirtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
That's pitiful! Shop around I find Ford to be insanely high on something's.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_T2 View Post
I don't see a problem, they had to remove the rear diff cover to pull the C-clips so they could remove the axle bearings. He just happen to discover that you pinion bearing was bad , not the axle bearings. Just because they though the axle bearings were bad , they still need to make sure that is what was really the problem. What would you have done if they replaced the wheel bearings, and you drove off only to hear the same sound? You would have been pissed that they did not discover the real problem.
Just looking at the pic of the wheel bearings,,they look ok to me,,it may be the pinion

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Yes, I know that and I agree with you. My post wasn't meant to be in disagreement with you. Sorry I wasn't clear and that you misunderstood.

Who wouldn't have a mad panic attack though, when confronted with an estimate that had grown in size that much.
I guess if you don't know how and cannot check it to see for yourself, you are stuck with either getting it done or taking it somewhere else for another opinion.

Here is the cost for a complete bearing kit. - $74.99 at American Muscle

Makes you wonder how they came up with $977.68 doesn't it?
Surely it does not take $900 worth of labor to install the bearings?

I have seen numerous cases over the years where mechs, especially at dealerships, have tried to pull shady crap just to inflate a bill too, which is why I work on my own stuff when I can and when I can't I have people locally that I trust, who will take care of issues for me when I cannot. One of the benefits of living in a small community.
I agree i even grew up fixing my own stuff,,sometimes it when south,,but usually i try again until i get it right..Hell for that price I think he can buy one all ready to install..

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

Quote:
What..You can drill and retapp the drain plug,,thats crazy,,I done a bunch because of the jiffy lubes strips them out a lot
Old 10-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang

Just looking at the pic of the wheel bearings,,they look ok to me,,it may be the pinion

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

I agree i even grew up fixing my own stuff,,sometimes it when south,,but usually i try again until i get it right..Hell for that price I think he can buy one all ready to install..

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

What..You can drill and retapp the drain plug,,thats crazy,,I done a bunch because of the jiffy lubes strips them out a lot
It already had one of those temporary ones you put it there and that had broken. I forget the name of the thing but the pan was done.

What could I do tho? My car was stuck in their shop without an oil pan on lol. They couldn't find one at a junkyard cuz ford changed over to a different oil pan one month after my car was made.. Brand new it was expensive.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
Old 10-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
check your laws, as I said some states require you to approve any additions or changes to what you agreed on so they cant just go replacing stuff without your consent.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
check your laws, as I said some states require you to approve any additions or changes to what you agreed on so they cant just go replacing stuff without your consent.
Don,t think that is relevant, he was shown the parts and given new price before repairs. YES, i do think price is high, I would have paid for diagnoses and had car put back together and left
Old 10-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It already had one of those temporary ones you put it there and that had broken. I forget the name of the thing but the pan was done.

What could I do tho? My car was stuck in their shop without an oil pan on lol. They couldn't find one at a junkyard cuz ford changed over to a different oil pan one month after my car was made.. Brand new it was expensive.
Ive seen a repair that looked like a sheet rock anchor,,that has the wings on it ,,they push it through the drain hole,,and the wings pop open and then you tighten it up against the pan,,I hate to see people get ripped,,Alot of times oil change places use air ratchets to remove the plugg,,which stripps out the plug..You wouldnt believe the crapp ive seen that people use for drain plug repair
Old 10-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post
Alot of times oil change places use air ratchets to remove the plugg,,which stripps out the plug..You wouldnt believe the crapp ive seen that people use for drain plug repair
This is why I do it myself.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well good thing is I got a warranty on it so they don't do **** on purpose to it for a year hehehe

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion