Might be trading in my Mustang?!?! :O - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Might be trading in my Mustang?!?! :O

Well, I got to test drive the new Subaru BRZ today. The salesmen was a great guy and let me have some fun with it. Went into a empty parking lot to start then took in on the streets for a good 10min or so. I have to say, I was very surprised. It handled better then any car I've ever driven. And its power, I thought was comparable to my 3.7. A little weaker but not by much. For only 200hp/151tq, it didn't really feel too underpowered. The car just felt great all around. Really enjoyed it, more then my 12 V6. Which I was very shocked about. The shifts were pretty good and short. Nothing to really complain about there. My only complaints would be the interior. It's a small car so obviously not much room. The interior quality wasn't anything to brag about. Back seats? Not sure why it has those. Should just have two. No trunk space either. The seats held you in very nicely though.

I am now seriously considering trading in my Mustang and Versa for one. Really like the car. I prefer my Mustangs interior by far but the BRZ gets better mpg's, handles better, is just as quick and by trading in both my cars will save me a lot of money. I love my Stang but I think this car just makes more sense for me right now. Not sure if I'll order it now or wait till the spring but I think I'm definitely going to get one.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It's understandable. Those cars handle very good and for the hp it's good, weight wise it's light. My next car will probably be on an awd platform
Old 10-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831
It's understandable. Those cars handle very good and for the hp it's good, weight wise it's light. My next car will probably be on an awd platform
Yeah, I've done a lot of handling upgrades on my stang but it still doesn't compare. And I care more about handling then speed. And yeah an awd would be nice. I wish subie did an awd version of the ft86. Would be pretty awesome imo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The BRZ/FRS is not just as quick as a 2011+ V6 mustang. I believe the 0-60 time was around mid 6 and the 3.7 was mid 5's. But it probably does feel quick considering the power to weight ratio. I like the BRZ/FRS a lot, but for the price, no thanks.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Just wait for the Sti version to come out if youre going to trade both your cars for it.
fresh2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37

Yeah, I've done a lot of handling upgrades on my stang but it still doesn't compare. And I care more about handling then speed. And yeah an awd would be nice. I wish subie did an awd version of the ft86. Would be pretty awesome imo
Lol tell me about it. My cars suspension is preety much tweaked up all the way and those stock brz and the scion frs are right behind me!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

If you decide to do the trade in just keep in mind it has a boxer engine which means replacement parts and services(if you don't plan on doing all the maintenance) will be expensive. On those cars you nearly have to drop the engine to gain access for a spark plug change, I don't want to know what other surprises there is for servicing it. Thank god they use iridium plugs though, so most parts are probably quality. They're very nice cars, my friend has one, only down side is it won't have a v8 rumble. As mentioned prior, if or when they make an STI version would be the time to get one, that thing would walk 370's all day.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang
The BRZ/FRS is not just as quick as a 2011+ V6 mustang. I believe the 0-60 time was around mid 6 and the 3.7 was mid 5's. But it probably does feel quick considering the power to weight ratio. I like the BRZ/FRS a lot, but for the price, no thanks.
The 3.7 is a bit more powerful yes but I'm telling you after driving both it isn't that big of a difference. And my cars tuned. And there's no way the stang will take a corner as quick no matter what mods you have and I care more about that then straight line speed. And I feel the the price is very good. Find me a car that handles better for the price? Only the Miata would be close but that has less power and doesn't look as nice imo.

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh2death
Just wait for the Sti version to come out if youre going to trade both your cars for it.
Yeah, I may. With winter coming and all

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco
If you decide to do the trade in just keep in mind it has a boxer engine which means replacement parts and services(if you don't plan on doing all the maintenance) will be expensive. On those cars you nearly have to drop the engine to gain access for a spark plug change, I don't want to know what other surprises there is for servicing it. Thank god they use iridium plugs though, so most parts are probably quality. They're very nice cars, my friend has one, only down side is it won't have a v8 rumble. As mentioned prior, if or when they make an STI version would be the time to get one, that thing would walk 370's all day.
Yeah I hear ya. Just not sure when they're gonna come out with the STI. There's always the aftermarket for go faster parts.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831

Lol tell me about it. My cars suspension is preety much tweaked up all the way and those stock brz and the scion frs are right behind me!
Really? Dang. I'm sure they fall behind a bit on a straight though lol. AutoX it's definitely the better car though.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37

The 3.7 is a bit more powerful yes but I'm telling you after driving both it isn't that big of a difference. And my cars tuned. And there's no way the stang will take a corner as quick no matter what mods you have and I care more about that then straight line speed. And I feel the the price is very good. Find me a car that handles better for the price? Only the Miata would be close but that has less power and doesn't look as nice imo.

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

Yeah, I may. With winter coming and all

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

Yeah I hear ya. Just not sure when they're gonna come out with the STI. There's always the aftermarket for go faster parts.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Really? Dang. I'm sure they fall behind a bit on a straight though lol. AutoX it's definitely the better car though.
Yea lol like 2 seconds behind me and i have coilovers, sway bars, cc plates, mm k member, and tires
Old 10-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Nice car, but over priced for what you get IMO. Pretty much the same specs, worse interior, and quite a bit smaller. For 27-30k it would kill me not to buy a 5.0 with that money. But seeing that insurance, fuel economy and a winter car is still a factor for you, then I can see your reasoning.

We would hate to see you go. But can I have your quad pipes?

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
there is a mustang vs the scion or the subie i cant remember on youtube. 10 min video... might give you more insight. its your ride so you gotta be happy.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you were going to get a car like that get a 370z you will have the power and everything
koni STR.T RTR wheels NT555/ Shelby Baer 6P
DSS Aluminum 3.5/3.73 gears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm4Di-zmZA
Schram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Don't sell that beast!!!!
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrum04
Nice car, but over priced for what you get IMO. Pretty much the same specs, worse interior, and quite a bit smaller. For 27-30k it would kill me not to buy a 5.0 with that money. But seeing that insurance, fuel economy and a winter car is still a factor for you, then I can see your reasoning.

We would hate to see you go. But can I have your quad pipes?
The car just feels a lot better. I liked how it drove over my stang and I love my stang! The handling was just on another planet. And you know, the one thing I would hate? Seeing my car on the road being driven by someone else. I think that would kill me!!! Lol. Might have to part it out and return it to stock first lol.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d
there is a mustang vs the scion or the subie i cant remember on youtube. 10 min video... might give you more insight. its your ride so you gotta be happy.
Yeah, I've seen it along with countless other vids and reviews. But I thought the best way was to go down and actually drive it myself.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schram1
If you were going to get a car like that get a 370z you will have the power and everything
Yeah, but with the options I "need" it would be $40kish. And it gets like 26 mpg's compared to subies 34 or 36 whatever it is
Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Theres no way i would sell my baby,,of course i drove a 89 ranger since i was 19,,and im 43 now so it was a heck of a upgrade..
Old 10-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Check out the video here.

Now this is A totally stock Mustang as well as A Totally stock BRZ.

Watch this:::

The Mustang was faster around Willow Springs then the BRZ. Do A few suspension mod's and the Mustang would do it even faster.

The Mustang still looks a whole lot better.
You think that BRZ gets better MPG. Maybe if you are doing a nice very steady speed but when you run it hard the MPG is about 1/2 of what you expected.

If you think you will be happy with the Toyota go ahead and get it. Just remember these words of wisdom" Any new car you test drive will feel great at first." But will it feel good in a month?

If you want a car that will out handle them both and outrun almost every car you can think of in the corners go test drive a Mini Cooper Factory John Cooper Works model.

Me-"I'll just stay with my Mustang"

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948

The Mustang was faster around Willow Springs then the BRZ. Do A few suspension mod's and the Mustang would do it even faster.

You think that BRZ gets better MPG. Maybe if you are doing a nice very steady speed but when you run it hard the MPG is about 1/2 of what you expected.

If you think you will be happy with the Toyota go ahead and get it. Just remember these words of wisdom" Any new car you test drive will feel great at first." But will it feel good in a month?

If you want a car that will out handle them both and outrun almost every car you can think of in the corners go test drive a Mini Cooper Factory John Cooper Works model.

Ronnie
+1

I totally get what you said in your first post, and for your situation, it makes sense. But, what would stop me-

You are losing a winter beater for it-so your new car is going in the snow, either this year or next.
You just ate the depreciation of your car, and mods. Now you are going to do it again with the ft86.
Some of those perks are perks now, but won't last.
True, each hp you gain in the ft will do more than one in the Stang. But it is easier to build power and shed weight in the Stang.
You are about to pay 25k for a slower car, and start all over on building up your car.
Your fuel economy will start to reflect the Mustangs, after a tune, mods, beating on her.
Looks...
Available mods vs Mustang avail mods
Next year on the Subaru board, you will be leaving for the JCW lol

No disrespect, I hope you sell so I can get some cheaper mods lol, but financially, in bad a$$ness, and for the sake of the cars, it seems like the Mustang is a better deal.
But if you are sure the ft is right, then that is whats right for you.

I hope you aren't back in a month missing the beast you created :/

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:25 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ronnie
Seen the vid. The Mustang has the advantage on that open track but powers easy to make. No matter what suspension mods you do, the mustang won't out handle the brz. But I can easily make the brz more powerful.

The JCW's are alright. But it's just not for me. My bro is a big mini guy and he won't drive anything else but the car fits him. I just can't see myself owning one. It's not me. I've driven his cooper s and it handles like a go cart but I just don't really like it. Doesn't feel right :/

I didn't go test drive it with the intention of trading in my stang. I just wanted to see what all the hype was about. And after driving it, I really liked it. I'm not about to go there tomorrow morning and trade in my stang but I'm definitely considering it. Most likely, I won't do anything till next year though. Although I could try and sell the stang now and save some money over the winter. Car won't be driven much if at all over the winter anyway.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:19 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I want to test drive both the BRZ and the FRS. From what I understand the FRS is designed with a bit less understeer in mind, so I think that would probably be my favorite of the two.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #20
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

You're gonna have to get a color matching ascot to wear around your neck when driving a BZR or FR-S because they're both pretty gay.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:42 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
You're gonna have to get a color matching ascot to wear around your neck when driving a BZR or FR-S because they're both pretty gay.
There super cute though! Jk why not trade the 3.7 in on a 5.0???
bradtaylornator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
You obviously have made up your mind and God bless you but I echo everyone else on here your trading in an ICON a legend and a muscle car with heritage for some fly by night light weight that is over priced and expensive to repair. Your part of Americana with your stang and actually helped the USA with its purchase while the brz/scion doesn't. There's always gonna be something that does something just a little better but for me I wouldn't sell my stang
AndreaCristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Why not drive it in the winter????

Cyclon37 said:
Quote:
Car won't be driven much if at all over the winter anyway.
I don't see why you can't drive it all winter. I will use mine all winter.

Ronnie
Daytona Beach, Florida

ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Cyclon37 said:

I don't see why you can't drive it all winter. I will use mine all winter.

Ronnie
Daytona Beach, Florida

Haha very funny ronnie. Hey, I've been wanting to move down to Florida for ever. I love it down there! I'll be down there wednesday as a matter of fact! Only problem is the gf doesn't want to
Old 10-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

And I'm no Mustang enthusiast or speed junkie needing the fastest car. I appreciate a lot of cars. Foreign or domestic. Can't really explain it anymore then the car just felt right. I just really liked it. I know you guys are mostly Mustang junkies so I'm not going to try and change your minds but I just liked how the car drove and felt. Was a lot different then my stang. I'll always appreciate the Stang, I love them. And my mind isn't made up 100% yet. Like I said, I probably wouldn't get one till next year. And maybe by then we'll see the 15 and I may want that more since it may be going irs, smaller and lighter. Either way I'd probably swap mine, which is the only reason I'm thinking of letting it go now. Winter, then I go overseas till well, November or December? So I got time to think. But either way, selling my car now I think is a good decision. Any takers?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

But seriously, the quads, spoiler and the taillights. <---------- This guy

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrum04
But seriously, the quads, spoiler and the taillights. <---------- This guy
Haha I'd need your stock spoiler and your rear valence and axle-backs
Old 10-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37 View Post
And I'm no Mustang enthusiast or speed junkie needing the fastest car. I appreciate a lot of cars. Foreign or domestic. Can't really explain it anymore then the car just felt right. I just really liked it.
And that's all that really matters. It's your money and you have to drive it every day. If I wasn't completely set on a Mustang, I probably would have given a BRZ a good look. Small, lightweight, nimble. Good combination. The first one that went by me, when I caught the fender in my peripheral my first thought was "Maserati?"

I would expect there is a ton of potential in the Subie boxer engine. You can even use some of the same vendors. I know Sam Strano and Vorshlag have them (FR-S for Sam & BRZ for Vorshalg).
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaCristiano View Post
You obviously have made up your mind and God bless you but I echo everyone else on here your trading in an ICON a legend and a muscle car with heritage for some fly by night light weight that is over priced and expensive to repair. Your part of Americana with your stang and actually helped the USA with its purchase while the brz/scion doesn't. There's always gonna be something that does something just a little better but for me I wouldn't sell my stang
1) Mustang (especially the V6) isn't a muscle car. Pony car.
2) Please don't use the "helping the economy" reasoning.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
For the price I rather get a genesis coupe. In My opinion the genesis looks better than the scion or subie inside and out.
elnegro5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
You could wait until the BR-Z STI comes out, not sure when. Depending on finances of course.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tee7pony
You could wait until the BR-Z STI comes out, not sure when. Depending on finances of course.
IF they keep modding it, it will go turbo before full blown STi.

I agree on getting a Mustang because it is a great car. The only FR that even comes close to Mustang bang for buck is, well, the camaro. I understand your decision, and for your values, it makes sense.

I am no Mustang junkie, I didn't like them until 2010 for body, 2011 for internals.

The only thing I didn't like, was that you are trading in the winter car for it, too. And yes, a v6 mustang is a muscle car.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

No it isn't. And it's not a sports car either. The Mustang INVENTED the "pony car" segment, I don't know why some people are so quick to throw it away.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSRGuy94
No it isn't. And it's not a sports car either. The Mustang INVENTED the "pony car" segment, I don't know why some people are so quick to throw it away.
+1
I owned a new edge v6 for years and never once referred to it as a muscle car or ever told anyone I drive a muscle car, my exact words when someone asked me, "I drive a 6 cylinder Mustang". Now I own a new edge GT, and yes I refer to that as a muscle car...whenever I hear someone say they drive a mustang, I assume its a 6er, cuz you damn kno if anyone drives a stang GT, or Cobra, Termi, etc, they are not just calling it simply a mustang.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnegro5.0
For the price I rather get a genesis coupe. In My opinion the genesis looks better than the scion or subie inside and out.
I test drove a genesis awhile back and thought it was really uncomfortable
bradtaylornator is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion