How can i open easyfuel door lock? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-26-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

How can i open easyfuel door lock?

Im in philly for work until next week, before i left i stored the stang for the winter but couldnt open this damn thing to put fuel stabilizer in! I figured it was just a latched opening. Never looked how a fuel nozzle can open this. Any tips?
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
You should have a fuel thing in your trunk. It's white and it can open the fuel lock. It's all about circumference and thickness I think on what can open it.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
If you cant find the thing in your trunk a simple plastic funnel will work. get one that has a long lower cone (i don't know how else to explain it) and give that a try. You can always cut the funnel down a little if you need to. And make sure to get a plastic one, you need it to be sturdy enough to hold that little metal piece open.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I thought it had to be just as round as a gas pump to open. I tried with a hose once to see how it worked. No go on that.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
you should be able to use any funnel that is long and skinny enough to fit in the gas filler tube far enough to push the metal tab and seal open.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
you should be able to use any funnel that is long and skinny enough to fit in the gas filler tube far enough to push the metal tab and seal open.
Not quite...

If you look closely, what you have are two small tabs on opposite sides of the filler neck, above the spring-loaded flap. If those two tabs are not pushed outward by a reasonably round, proper diameter fuel filler, or similarly sized funnel, then the spring-loaded flap is locked shut as a vapor stop.

So, you can use a funnel roughly the same diameter and roundness as a gas pump fuel filler, like the funnel Ford gives you in the trunk, or get a similar sized funnel somewhere else. But you can't (easily) use just any old funnel.

If you are desperate, it is possible to use some 'tools' to depress both tabs, then push on the flap, and wedge it open with something like a long thin rod to keep it from coming all the way back up and locking. Then, you could insert a smallish funnel. Again, this is last ditch, stuck in the middle of nowhere stuff.

Good Luck!
--
FluxPrism
FluxPrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluxPrism View Post
Not quite...

If you look closely, what you have are two small tabs on opposite sides of the filler neck, above the spring-loaded flap. If those two tabs are not pushed outward by a reasonably round, proper diameter fuel filler, or similarly sized funnel, then the spring-loaded flap is locked shut as a vapor stop.

So, you can use a funnel roughly the same diameter and roundness as a gas pump fuel filler, like the funnel Ford gives you in the trunk, or get a similar sized funnel somewhere else. But you can't (easily) use just any old funnel.

If you are desperate, it is possible to use some 'tools' to depress both tabs, then push on the flap, and wedge it open with something like a long thin rod to keep it from coming all the way back up and locking. Then, you could insert a smallish funnel. Again, this is last ditch, stuck in the middle of nowhere stuff.

Good Luck!
--
FluxPrism
Thanks everyone I knew that little funnel was for something! I did use the two funnels in my garage which did not open it, then when you guys mentioned that part in the trunk i remembered I had seen it before. Thanks! Fuel stabilizer is in and stang is all stored and safe
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion