Storage tips? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Storage tips?

About that time of the year to put the pony in the garage. Any tips for long term storage?
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
What kind of winter storage do you have?

That's the 1st question.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

1 car garage (apartment)
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Not bad. How is the humidity where you park? If it is pretty damp you may want to store it with a few desicant packs (like you find in shoes etc).

How long are you parking it? This'll give you an idea of IF you can leave feul in the tank, pump or lines.

Also, do you have to worry about freezing temps where you park?
Old 10-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
I store mine every winter (Iowa). All I do is start it and let it run a while every couple weeks then change the oil before taking out of storage. I should remove the battery but I don't. I also clean it really well and treat the leather before putting it away.
jamin22786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'd follow what Jamin says UNLESS you're parking it for a few months, or more, and can't get out to turn it over.

You can always go the full Monty; purge all your fluids, get it up on jackstands and really shut it away for the season.

But, since you're posting here with a late model V6, I don't THINK you need to go that far. We're not talking a restored GT350 going into dry storage for six months...
Old 10-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

True. What would I have to do if I drove it occasionally throughout the winter? And would I have to worry about rust?
Old 10-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Plastidip, I'm discovering, is your friend. If you are worried about salt and rust, I'd check out dipyourcar.com for tips. Other then that, wash it every time you're back from being out... Even if it's just a good spray down. You DO NOT want that road salt sitting on your car. Particularly your under carriage and if you have any preexisting rust spots!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

-fresh oil change
-fill fuel tank
-fuel stabilizer
-wash, pre wax cleaner, wax
-clean interior, apply leather conditioner
-close hvac vents
-put it on jackstands to avoid tire flat spots
-remove some air out of tires
-use vaseline on weatherstripping to avoid sticking
-paper towels under wiper blades
-since the windows raise and lower when opening doors, ill lower them just a tad so that when battery is removed i can still open/close doors.
-remove battery and store indoors, check voltage monthly and charge as necessary.
-Cover it with my custom fit cover, which covers the exhaust too so rodents will not enter
-store in a closed garage

I actually ended up getting a battery tender so the battery stays fully charged, works great!
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

You are the storage king.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:27 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkolabin View Post
You are the storage king.
Lol its my first winter ever storing a car. A little overkill for a v6 but i plan on having it for a very long time.

By the way, washing your ride often in the winter could be a bad idea. Its not the salt that causes rust its the oxidization of water with the salt. Once the spring thaw happens that is when most rust accelerates. Washing it wont remove all the salt and will actually push salt into smaller crevaces and keeps many spots very moist that normal winter driving would remain relatively dry. Once spring hits all that trapped water with remnants of salt will cause rust.

If you must drive it in winter then getting a good oil spray done is key. On my daily driver i used actual grease on the undercarriage....lathered it on with a damn paint brush!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Oh, I agree.

However, where I live, the climate isn't so inclement and there's an excellent warm water, no touch car wash here which, as well as blasting your under carriage, uses (or can, if you pay more for it) a degreaser to eat away the road salt and grime before firing a protectant at your underside. It's a pretty kickass, if not cheap alternative.

And I tend to say that some washing, even with just a hose, is better then leaving the clumps of buildup on your car all winter.

You're right though, it's just that most people won't go THAT far. Are you an anorak by any chance? Do you have adenoids and OCD?

LOL. Just kidding around.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkolabin
Plastidip, I'm discovering, is your friend. If you are worried about salt and rust, I'd check out dipyourcar.com for tips. Other then that, wash it every time you're back from being out... Even if it's just a good spray down. You DO NOT want that road salt sitting on your car. Particularly your under carriage and if you have any preexisting rust spots!
Are you saying I should plasti dip the under carriage?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:11 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkolabin View Post
Oh, I agree.

However, where I live, the climate isn't so inclement and there's an excellent warm water, no touch car wash here which, as well as blasting your under carriage, uses (or can, if you pay more for it) a degreaser to eat away the road salt and grime before firing a protectant at your underside. It's a pretty kickass, if not cheap alternative.

And I tend to say that some washing, even with just a hose, is better then leaving the clumps of buildup on your car all winter.

You're right though, it's just that most people won't go THAT far. Are you an anorak by any chance? Do you have adenoids and OCD?

LOL. Just kidding around.
LMAO im sure ive got something, just undiagnosed :p that car wash sounds fantastic, that sounds like it would definately be the best option.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Til you see the price. It's like $35 in the summer and $45 for the winter.

---------- Post added at 06:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Roma5

Are you saying I should plasti dip the under carriage?
I am NOT saying that.

However...
Old 10-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I was thinkin just spray the chassis with 1 or 2 coats.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I sprayed the whole bottom of my car with undercoat and it made a big difference... Everything sprays off easier, protects it from moisture, and fills in the little nooks and crannys... Plus there isn't as much heat from the exhaust comin in and it took some of the road noise away
Coreyw428 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion