...finally happened... Ticket Court questions though - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
...finally happened... Ticket Court questions though

I'm a minor (17) got my first ticket today (Careless Driving) and have court in december. What should I expect in court? Will the Cop be there? And was with another car and he got a ticket to... Will he be there to? Cop told me that I should ask for some class? How much is the class if anyone has taken it before? Will I have to share my story to the judge if I plea guilty? Never had any run in with the law no previous tickets or anything. What should I expect? Any incite would be helpful! Thanks
Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream
I'm a minor (17) got my first ticket today (Careless Driving) and have court in december. What should I expect in court? Will the Cop be there? And was with another car and he got a ticket to... Will he be there to? Cop told me that I should ask for some class? How much is the class if anyone has taken it before? Will I have to share my story to the judge if I plea guilty? Never had any run in with the law no previous tickets or anything. What should I expect? Any incite would be helpful! Thanks
Every state is different, where you from?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Mississippi -.-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
The state will remove one violation from your driving record if you complete a defensive driving course approved by the Department of Public Safety (DPS). This is a one time opportunity. Any subsequent traffic tickets will be assigned to your driving record. To qualify:

You must receive court approval You cannot have been cited for any other traffic violations in the last three years You will need to provide the court with an affidavit stating that you have not received a violation in the three years prior. Learn more on our page covering MS traffic ticket dismissal.

Go to court, there is a chance that the officer wont show up for court, ticket will be dismissed. Otherwise pay the fine and pay more attention to your driving. Oh and tell your parents. Several states anyone can check your driving record. Better to pay a ticket than hiding it from your parents.

If none of this helps, make sure you apply lots of vaseline and get ready to meet your "NEW" husband.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Not sure of your state laws n such. But with my many trips to courtrooms and being your first run in he/she may ask you why you did what you did. Depends on how the judge feels about it.
Be honest and show some respect. Your first ticket ”should” be a slap on the wrist take it for what it is and move on.
The class is a good idea. But find out more in your area. For me in illinois the class ”was” $40 and a couple hours (boring as sh¡t) but it keeps the moving violation off your record. That keeps insurance rates from going up
But I don't know laws in your area either.

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

Yeah what he said^

And good luck
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Parents already know haha since I'm a minor do they have to go to court with me?
Old 10-31-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
Not sure of your state laws n such. But with my many trips to courtrooms and being your first run in he/she may ask you why you did what you did. Depends on how the judge feels about it.
Be honest and show some respect. Your first ticket ”should” be a slap on the wrist take it for what it is and move on.
The class is a good idea. But find out more in your area. For me in illinois the class ”was” $40 and a couple hours (boring as sh¡t) but it keeps the moving violation off your record. That keeps insurance rates from going up
But I don't know laws in your area either.

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

Yeah what he said^

And good luck
The class did you have to take a test?
Old 10-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Hey bro just saw the thread, I've never had a problem with cops in the u.s so I don't know much about the procedures but I know how it feels. Only advice... Drive safe! Don't want to get your stang taken away!
My68mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Uhhh jeez that was back when I was in high school. I think we did but I believe we all just went over the answers together. Cant quite remeber?..(I think the court wanted something saying you've completed the class then the ticket was dropped and just payed court fee's)
I have gone a few times and remeber the second time was much better. We had an officer subbing the class and all we did was talk about all our tickets past n present. It was supposed to be 4hrs but he let us go in 2
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
Uhhh jeez that was back when I was in high school. I think we did but I believe we all just went over the answers together. Cant quite remeber?..(I think the court wanted something saying you've completed the class then the ticket was dropped and just payed court fee's)
I have gone a few times and remeber the second time was much better. We had an officer subbing the class and all we did was talk about all our tickets past n present. It was supposed to be 4hrs but he let us go in 2
That will be nice not worried about the class I'm good in school just worried if parents have to go in front of the judge with me
Old 10-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Call the court. They will be happy to answer your questions.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:

That will be nice not worried about the class I'm good in school just worried if parents have to go in front of the judge with me
Dang that would suck.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohncarlson
+11. The court will tell you anything you need to know!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ima have to call the court... He wrote the time and I can't read it looks like a 4,7 or a 9 -.- I'll ask a few girls today the always get tickets
Old 11-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

In my state(Ky) going to traffic school only takes the points off your license which can help you keep your license if you're close to losing it. Your insurance company can and probably will find the ticket and then raise your rates.
jhagan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhagan1980
In my state(Ky) going to traffic school only takes the points off your license which can help you keep your license if you're close to losing it. Your insurance company can and probably will find the ticket and then raise your rates.
Hope not or the cop lies lol not worried about that to much just the parents hope I can go to court by myself .
Old 11-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
You might need to contact an attorney. Careless driving is equivalent to a dui here in ms.

You're not going to get it reduced nor will the court just forgive it.

What jurisdiction did you receive the ticket in?

O yeh, your insurance will increase to the highest risk category. Prepare to pay well over $300 a month for liability
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Get yourself to an attorney.

That and call up your court; ask your questions and get your answers, from the horses mouth so-to-speak, so that you're not going in armed only with some internet "help".

You mentioned something about the vagueness of the ticket issued? I know of people getting their tickets dropped (in the case of speeding) as a result of the fact that the assigning officer not using proper penmanship to properly fill out the document. It works, it really does.

The argument, I believe runs like this:

"You were given a ticket by Officer Ticketman?"

"I was."

"When did this happen?"

"According to the ticket, either four o'clock, 7 o'clock, or 9 o'clock."

"You don't remember the time?"

"I am simply going by the only legal document which has been issued to me. If Officer Ticketman can't be bothered to write legibly..."

... and so on.

You may have a loophole there. One which, depending on the laws where you live (I'm Canadian, in BC), could result in your insurance rates remaining static, no fines being upheld, and no need for traffic school to save points on your license.

Most people do not know that the coppers and flatfoots are expected to fill out their documents properly, cleanly and legibly and that, when they fail in their duty it can excuse you failing to behave according to the law... and again this depends on where you live and the laws therein.

So get to a lawyer, spend maybe $100.00 bucks or whatever the cost to get an hour consultation with a traffic lawyer and see if you can't squeeze your way out of this, free and clean.

Failing that...

... throw yourself on the mercy of the courts. Admit your wrongdoing and express a sincere desire to do WHATEVER the court wants to prove to them you deserve to keep driving and not have your wallet raided by every insurance firm out there.

And failing that...

... lube. Lots and lots of lube.
Mkolabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
I went to driving school back in the day, didnt have to go to court and just went to the class (which costs more probably but its off your record)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
I went to driving school back in the day, didnt have to go to court and just went to the class (which costs more probably but its off your record)
Not like that anymore, careless driving for me was 4 or 5 points, now if you take that class, than stay ticketless for 6 months i believe it is, they drop just 2-3 points off that ticket, still have to go to court, but telling you now it looks a hundred times better when you stand in front of that judge and hand him that paper that says you were mature and took responsibility for your actions ... When I was 17, I racked up 11 points in 1 year, needless too say, I know my traffic court (atleast in NJ).
Old 11-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
It all depends on the judge, dont worry if your nervous im sure we all were our first time. First time I went it was for being seen going 80-100, which is about right I mean cough cough. I was 15 and the judge dismissed it, only payed court fees, 30 some bucks. Cop in my state wont be there for the first time unless you plead not guilty and go again he/she goes. If they dont show up your good to go, bye bye and go home.
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
We don't have points in ms
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I got a careless about 7 months ago, was for racing on the street, lies I wasn't id admit it if I was. (It was midnight and the babes isnt quiet go figure) Plead not guilty first time, second court date talked with the cop and had it dropped to careless with a 6 month deferral.
Dont be scared about insurance rates and what not just take it easy and see what happens.
Had a 86 in a 75 in TX at 16 I did need my parents there unless I was 17, never told them but eventually it came up and they knew of course since parents know everything. Had to pay 222
{Never Enough HP}
Old 11-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Here you dont need your parents with you while at court. Also a careless driving can get you thrown in jail here. So your lucky. I got a ticket for 75 in a 65. I went in talked to the District Attorney, told him it was my first ticket and wouldnt happen again. He wrote on a piece of paper said take this to the lady up front. Dropped my ticket. Just paid court cost and had nothing on my record or insurance raise.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Just because you can't read the time on your ticket, doesn't mean that i will get dismissed. There should be either two or three copies of this tickedt. You got the one on the bottum and the court got the other two copies that will be easy to read.

Don't waste your money on an attorney. the fine even if you have to pay it, is cheaper than hiring an attorney.

For the GOOD NEWS:

Below is the MIssissippi statute for careless driving.

It is considered a speed offense so it is a Misdemeanor in Mississippi, but it only has civil penalties. That is, there would be no worry about having to go to jail if you fight it and lose. So if you think you have a defense to it, there's really no reason not to fight the charges. Your maximum risk would be $50.

Police do not have to make an arrest at the time of an incident. They only have to file it before the statute of limitations runs out for the crime. In Mississippi a misdemeanor can be filed with the court up to 2 years after an incident, though you'll never know whether they would have bothered at all if you hadn't called them and reminded them to turn in the ticket.

SEC. 63-3-1213. Careless driving

Any person who drives any vehicle in a careless or imprudent manner, without due regard for the width, grade, curves, corner, traffic and use of the streets and highways and all other attendant circumstances is guilty of careless driving. Careless driving shall be considered a lesser offense than reckless driving.

Every person convicted of careless driving shall be punished by a fine of not less than Five Dollars ($5.00) nor more than Fifty Dollars ($50.00).

Lastly, if this ticket is in your home town, do you really want to argue about $50, knowing that this officer will probably see you again. Suck it as a life lesson and move on!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

It's not the time of the ticket I can't read it's the time of my court date.
Cop said If I take class the ticket should drop .
Just parents already know so no stang
Old 11-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohncarlson
I've had to go to court twice and both times my parents have had to come cause I'm 16
emery2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's not the time of the ticket I can't read it's the time of my court date.
Cop said If I take class the ticket should drop .
Just parents already know so no stang
=\ have they said for how long? Plus I hope your not mad at them for this punishment
its a good thing, it sucks I know the feeling,, my dad took the license plate off my truck when I was 15 and wouldnt come home on time. Was I mad heck yeah do I now know why he did heck to the yeah.
Its pretty embarrassing when people at work would ask why no truck out of gas? Id say no my dad took my plate.
All in do time my friend
{Never Enough HP}
Old 11-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not mad a bit just worried lol it was a HUGE mistake so I know I deserve this -.- and for how long I have no idea
Old 11-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not mad a bit just worried lol it was a HUGE mistake so I know I deserve this -.- and for how long I have no idea
Now question is, what were you doing to get a careless?
{Never Enough HP}
Old 11-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch

Now question is, what were you doing to get a careless?
Being careless sums it up lol
Old 11-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Being careless sums it up lol
Ja, smart man
{Never Enough HP}
Old 11-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch

Ja, smart man
Guy was talking crap to everyone about his 2010 Hyundai Genisis Turbo and he tried to race me got up to 50 and woop woop cops pulled us over big mistake on my part
Old 11-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Had all this happen to me. Dress nice, show up looking like you care. Plead no contest, explain up screwed up. No, the cop won't be there buy the judge trusts the cop more than you. Use please and thank you's and don't talk you're way out of it. If you show respect, he'll knock points off and money from your ticket.

Have the money, in cash at the court, because you will be paying the decoded total there. No plastic or checks. (Usually)

If you take the class (reduces points from record)
Tell the judge that you are willing to do that. I don't think the class is expensive, but it's about 4-6 classes that are like 2 hrs long.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Decided total*

And also, this is how it works where I live, probably not far off from what you'll go through.
Cranker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranker
Had all this happen to me. Dress nice, show up looking like you care. Plead no contest, explain up screwed up. No, the cop won't be there buy the judge trusts the cop more than you. Use please and thank you's and don't talk you're way out of it. If you show respect, he'll knock points off and money from your ticket.

Have the money, in cash at the court, because you will be paying the decoded total there. No plastic or checks. (Usually)

If you take the class (reduces points from record)
Tell the judge that you are willing to do that. I don't think the class is expensive, but it's about 4-6 classes that are like 2 hrs long.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Decided total*

And also, this is how it works where I live, probably not far off from what you'll go through.
Idk how much I should bring lol 100$?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion