All-electric Mustang & Shelby Cobra - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #1

Region: Florida
All-electric Mustang & Shelby Cobra

The idea of an electric Pony car or Shelby Cobra may not sit well with some but California-based HST International and design firm Tjaarda have developed a pair of electric vehicles ready for sale based on the aforementioned muscle cars.
Dubbed the Tjaarda EVX Mustang and HST Shelby Cobra EVX, the two new cars will be on show this weekend at the 34th Annual Toyota GP in Long Beach, California.

Click here to see how fast the cars are and how much will they cost
Moses7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Re: All-electric Mustang & Shelby Cobra

Sooner or later, we must kill the Beast.

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

the more gas you save then the more my cobra has
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

i dont know if you guys have seen this but i saw it on i think the speed channel, yah deff speed. i think some show tanner foust hosts. they have made a 1000 hrpw replica cobra. i mean the old 427 cobra. and the best thing about an electric car they say is, when you have cars that are like 500 hrs plus, when you take off all that power is there. its not like an engine that has to rev up! its all there off the line!
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Mustang GT HO

The only thing is the range. Only 120 Miles????
Old 12-03-2008, 02:52 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

its not really range, its time it takes to refill/rejuice.

100mi range wouldnt be **** if it took 2 minutes to juice it back up. then again, electric cars are mainly for people that require a short-range driver, and would be perfect in that aspect. they could also make long range versions with weaker powerplants and figure out how to get a lighter chassis. 120mi is still pretty good, seeing most with that sort of output levels on a gasoline motor can only get 150-200 miles per tank anyways.

I dont see an issue with electric cars as long as our already crappy power grid is revamped to account for even 1 out of 10 homes trickle charging these ****ers every night. right now its simply not going to work with the infrastructure we have,

BTW the Tesla Roadster is a badass car, and looks great, has great performance, and is also fully electric. Right now the only drawback is price. Give it a decade or less, price will match that of normal gasoline vehicles, ranges will be greater and they will be even better performing. Our children will talk not about horsepower and cubic inches, but of winding output and voltage draw (or some **** like that)

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:29 AM   #7

Region: Illinois

So should we start thinking about mods that will make these electric cars sound loud and powerful? Time for someone to build the "simulated engine sound producing machine".
IceMizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:16 AM   #8

I forgot where I read/heard this but if only 15% of the US switched to a grid powered (i.e. plug in) electric car(not a hybrid) that it would cause massive power outages due to the fact that our power grid has next to no overhead.

I also heard somewhere that there is not enough lead in the world if half the cars in the US were replaced with Hybrids/electric cars, don’t know if this part is accurate or not, but sounds good.

Also keep in mind that if world wide gas usage goes way down the cost of it will go up. Due to fewer buyers paying the shipping/production costs.

but that mustang sounds good.
dagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:43 AM   #9

Region: Illinois

And what will we do with all those batteries when they are "dead"? Full of lead and other toxic and corrosive substances they cant just be tossed in the trash. How much will a replacement battery cost? This move to battery cars is so knee jerk reaction its beyond stupid.
IceMizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMizer View Post
And what will we do with all those batteries when they are "dead"? Full of lead and other toxic and corrosive substances they cant just be tossed in the trash. How much will a replacement battery cost? This move to battery cars is so knee jerk reaction its beyond stupid.
Agreed !!! time to get into the battery disposal industry

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:18 AM   #11

when i lived in WA state, i used to recycle old lead car batterys in to bullets, but hey the few joys of smelting/casting my own lead. Too bad i cant do that here. my back yard (all 10sq meters of it) is too damn small to setup a full on oil fired smelter.
dagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamore View Post
when i lived in WA state, i used to recycle old lead car batterys in to bullets, but hey the few joys of smelting/casting my own lead. Too bad i cant do that here. my back yard (all 10sq meters of it) is too damn small to setup a full on oil fired smelter.
jeezz remind me to never get on YOUR bad side. Melt my car into bullets and shoot me lol
Old 12-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang View Post
Agreed !!! time to get into the battery disposal industry
We have a winner! lol ill start the R&D lol
Old 12-03-2008, 03:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
its not really range, its time it takes to refill/rejuice.

100mi range wouldnt be **** if it took 2 minutes to juice it back up. then again, electric cars are mainly for people that require a short-range driver, and would be perfect in that aspect. they could also make long range versions with weaker powerplants and figure out how to get a lighter chassis. 120mi is still pretty good, seeing most with that sort of output levels on a gasoline motor can only get 150-200 miles per tank anyways.

I dont see an issue with electric cars as long as our already crappy power grid is revamped to account for even 1 out of 10 homes trickle charging these ****ers every night. right now its simply not going to work with the infrastructure we have,

BTW the Tesla Roadster is a badass car, and looks great, has great performance, and is also fully electric. Right now the only drawback is price. Give it a decade or less, price will match that of normal gasoline vehicles, ranges will be greater and they will be even better performing. Our children will talk not about horsepower and cubic inches, but of winding output and voltage draw (or some **** like that)

its scary to think our childeren wont know what we mean when we talk about big blocks, ect. ect.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

So you spend $80k+ for a car that is electric and goes 0-60 in 3.9 sec. And tops out at 120mph.

LAME.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:17 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
So you spend $80k+ for a car that is electric and goes 0-60 in 3.9 sec. And tops out at 120mph.

LAME.
people said the same thing when comparing "cars" to their then normal means of transportation (Horse) a hundred years ago. Cars were slow, ugly, expensive and loud compared to hoofed transportation, but look at what happened.......

btw if its the Tesla roadster you are thinking of, remember, its only a 1spd. The electronic motor is governed at that certain rpm that it must spin to achieve 120mph; and so far any tranny they have used has grenaded itself, and the ones that live or are strong enough for production would raise the cost of the Roadster by 25% or some bull**** like that. You could modify the ecu to let the electric motor spin faster (its just a voltage regulator at that point) and viola, you just modded a Tesla Roadster.

The costs of said vehicles will drop considerably during the next decade. you are talking about a car thats very limited production coming from a company that didnt exist 10 years ago.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:59 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Fair enough

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion