Pulling side to side - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
sLbxO143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitman, MA
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 410
Pulling side to side

As the title states, when I'm on the highway doing 65+ it feels as if my mustang try's to pull to either side. I got an alignment about a week ago and if I let go out of the wheel it will stay in a straight line so a little confused lol
sLbxO143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mkolabin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 344
How badly worn/rutted is the highway in question?

How is your rubber?
__________________
2006 V6 - Black on black. Tints, Louvers, Shorty Antenna and BBK CAI. "We're just getting started folks!"
Mkolabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
sLbxO143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitman, MA
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 410
Now that you mention it, it always happens on the same highway when I'm heading home from school. But I think I do have a small leak/warped rotor in my front passenger tire could that cause it?
sLbxO143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Same highway? you sure its not just the road? I drive home daily from school and i noticed that i always pull right on a certain length.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
sLbxO143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitman, MA
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4
Same highway? you sure its not just the road? I drive home daily from school and i noticed that i always pull right on a certain length.
Yeah well I live in MA so every road is **** lol but now that you guys mention it, it is a certain length on the highway same spot. But at around 60/65 MPH car acts funny but over 70 rides better its weird lol
sLbxO143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
austinknoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Region: California
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLbxO143

Yeah well I live in MA so every road is **** lol but now that you guys mention it, it is a certain length on the highway same spot. But at around 60/65 MPH car acts funny but over 70 rides better its weird lol
You think the roads are bad there? Try San Diego roads. The city workers never work on them. I heard we have the 9th worst roads in the nation or something like that
__________________
65 Mustang coupe
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
sLbxO143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitman, MA
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll

You think the roads are bad there? Try San Diego roads. The city workers never work on them. I heard we have the 9th worst roads in the nation or something like that
We need to move to Miami lol when my brother and sister some to visit and drive here they always boast about never having to worry about potholes/manhole covers there and such a smooth ride there lol
sLbxO143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLbxO143 View Post
Now that you mention it, it always happens on the same highway when I'm heading home from school. But I think I do have a small leak/warped rotor in my front passenger tire could that cause it?
Un-even road or ruts/valleys from the 18 wheelers will do this too.

A warped rotor should only be felt when you apply the brakes or if you calipers are sticking (pads to the rotor).
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

Un-even road or ruts/valleys from the 18 wheelers will do this too.

A warped rotor should only be felt when you apply the brakes or if you calipers are sticking (pads to the rotor).
With the un-even road, etc. I thought I had bump steer at first because it was doing that. It's just sticky wide tires.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
sLbxO143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitman, MA
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

With the un-even road, etc. I thought I had bump steer at first because it was doing that. It's just sticky wide tires.
Yeah so doesn't sound like a big problem right? Lol bottom line is roads just suck because I know it's not the alignment because I just got one. This may be a stupid question but what is bump steer?
sLbxO143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLbxO143 View Post

Yeah so doesn't sound like a big problem right? Lol bottom line is roads just suck because I know it's not the alignment because I just got one. This may be a stupid question but what is bump steer?
Checkout this post & thread...

So, I have bump steer. CC plates question
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
sLbxO143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitman, MA
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Checkout this post & thread...

So, I have bump steer. CC plates question
Cars not lowered so I probably don't have bump steer. I did check out the forum though
sLbxO143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLbxO143 View Post
Cars not lowered so I probably don't have bump steer. I did check out the forum though
When I made that thread, I wasn't sure if mine was lowered. It didn't look like it, but at a car show another guy with a stock Mach 1 said he thought it was lowered. At the same time, I was getting the pull from side to side on the road and assumed it was bump steer. I know now it was un-even pavement, etc. mostly becasue I was not used to wide performace tires.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
sLbxO143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitman, MA
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 410
Hmm..okay lol, makes sense. It's not serious and it wasn't always happening so I was just wondering if something particular could be causing this. Thank you for your help I do appreciate it
sLbxO143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Did they check your ball joints when you got your alignment?
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 74
could be the brakes if it pulls one way all the time but sounds like its the road you are driving.
Baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
sLbxO143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitman, MA
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF
Did they check your ball joints when you got your alignment?
Well that's why I got a wheel alignment because they replaced my ball joint on the front tire

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle
could be the brakes if it pulls one way all the time but sounds like its the road you are driving.
Could certainly be my brakes lol, my front brakes both have warped rotors and should be changed lol, going to get drilled and slotted rotors for the front. Already have them on the back so hopefully this will clear up my problem
sLbxO143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mkolabin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 344
If it IS your brakes, you'll want to check your brake balance as well once you do them.
__________________
2006 V6 - Black on black. Tints, Louvers, Shorty Antenna and BBK CAI. "We're just getting started folks!"
Mkolabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Umm you can't balance your brakes and brakes wont cause your car to wander. OP did you happen to get a printout of your alignment specs from the shop that did it?
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mkolabin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 344
Haha!

That's the trucker in me talking. Also, had a Crown Vic in which the rears were so off balance they hardly came on at all. Also had a 760 Turbo and the right front was either fully on, or fully off, regardless of what the other three were doing. I guess we don't even have a brake balancer in ours.

/facepalm
__________________
2006 V6 - Black on black. Tints, Louvers, Shorty Antenna and BBK CAI. "We're just getting started folks!"
Mkolabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkolabin View Post
Haha!

That's the trucker in me talking. Also, had a Crown Vic in which the rears were so off balance they hardly came on at all. Also had a 760 Turbo and the right front was either fully on, or fully off, regardless of what the other three were doing. I guess we don't even have a brake balancer in ours.

/facepalm
Are you talking about brake drums?
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
austinknoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Region: California
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
Umm you can't balance your brakes and brakes wont cause your car to wander. OP did you happen to get a printout of your alignment specs from the shop that did it?
It's called a proportioning valve and if it is malfunctioning, under braking it could wander but I dont think this is the case with OP
__________________
65 Mustang coupe
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post

It's called a proportioning valve and if it is malfunctioning, under braking it could wander but I dont think this is the case with OP
I meant to specify that they won't cause the car to wander when they aren't being applied.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 74
Your right the brakes would only pull when applied, and if you had a balljoint replaced sounds more like a allignment problem. R your tires showing any uneven wear.
Baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mkolabin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 344
Yes, I was talking about drums, save for the 760 Turbo.

And no, I'm not so dim as to suggest that the vehicle would experience any sort of pull/wander without brake application. I was suggesting that, if the OP believed it to be a brake problem (pulling under braking) and he were to do his brakes as a result, he'd want to make sure the balance was set. Now, if he's running warped rotors, depending on how bad, then it's very likely the car would pull (assuming a bad rotor on one side) under braking and, if the front/back balance were off, he'd have a bigger problem.

That said, it's pretty likely NOT the brakes unless the issue only appears while under braking. So, it's all pretty moot anyway.
Mkolabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
sLbxO143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitman, MA
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 410
Regardless I am replacing the front brakes with drilled slotted rotors and pads, so we will see. It's Not that bad. My front passenger tire is trash lol so defiantly uneven wear and a leak lol and it's pulling on that side so I may have just answered my own question lol
sLbxO143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



03:56 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.