Progressive or Geico? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Missxalii is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
Progressive or Geico?

Geico will be $260 a month.
Progressive will be $280 monthly or $240 a month if I pay 6 months in full.

Progressive also offers the snapshot discount. If anything know anything about that please elaborate. All I was told is that it monitors mileage and breaking.

Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

bluman is unknown around these parts
Stay away from snapshot !!,
it monitors your driving habits, so in a nutshell if you constantly exceed speed limits it will cause your insurance to go up !

Old 11-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluman
it monitors your driving habits, so in a nutshell if you constantly exceed speed limits it will cause your insurance to go up !
See I asked about that and the guy specifically told me that if I race it won't make my insurance go up. He said it can't negatively effect you the only thing that can happen is that I won't get a discount or it won't be as high if I break hard.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Do you trust an insurance agent ??
Old 11-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Eturner is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Wrong!.. I've got Progressive and I used the Snapshot!.. It just monitors how hard you hit the gas and brakes!... Keep your foot out of the gas most of the time and ease into the brakes, rates go down!.. You can race it from time to time and your rates will still go down!.. I was paying $150 a month about a year ago, now I'm paying $101 a month!.. Same coverage!..
Old 11-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Wrong!.. I've got Progressive and I used the Snapshot!.. It just monitors how hard you hit the gas and brakes!... Keep your foot out of the gas most of the time and ease into the brakes, rates go down!.. You can race it from time to time and your rates will still go down!.. I was paying $150 a month about a year ago, now I'm paying $101 a month!.. Same coverage!..
Wait so it monitors has as well? They told me mileage and breaking. It can't negatively effect your rates right? I do like to race from time to time. Maybe once a month I punch it. I don't want that to ruin my rates though.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I may be wrong but...
why does an insurance company care how hard you brake ???
are they replacing your brakes or monitoring your MPG ???
wake up !
Old 11-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii

Wait so it monitors has as well? They told me mileage and breaking. It can't negatively effect your rates right? I do like to race from time to time. Maybe once a month I punch it. I don't want that to ruin my rates though.
Ya they told me the milage thing too!.. But that can't be true as I drive my car far more than what I originally told them!.. I told them I drive maybe 1000 a month, but it's more like just under 1500 most months!.. Lol
Old 11-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
Staff
Blogger
Staff

99ford is unknown around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
I may be wrong but...
wake up !
My thoughts exactly. I can't stand Progressive for many reasons.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii View Post
In the end it's really your call whether to install it or not, can't speak for you but why take a chance, I would decline snapshot.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I may be wrong but...
wake up !
Simple!.. How hard you hit the gas and brakes is an illustration as to your driving habits!.. If your hitting the gas hard at each light, then having to hit the brakes hard to keep from hitting some one!.. Your probably a high risk for causing an accident!.. Vs some one who eases into the gas and barely has to touch their brakes just to bring their car to a stop!..

Proven statistics actually!..
Old 11-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Ya they told me the milage thing too!.. But that can't be true as I drive my car far more than what I originally told them!.. I told them I drive maybe 1000 a month, but it's more like just under 1500 most months!.. Lol
Don't be surprised when your rate goes up due to your excessive mileage from what you stated to Progressive,
years ago I foolishly answered a survey from my Insurance Company (State Farm) admitting truthfully that I had a round trip of 40 miles insted of 10, my rate shot up and when I questioned it, they said that I was driving more than the 7500 I stated to them !

Old 11-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Simple!.. How hard you hit the gas and brakes is an illustration as to your driving habits!.. If your hitting the gas hard at each light, then having to hit the brakes hard to keep from hitting some one!.. Your probably a high risk for causing an accident!.. Vs some one who eases into the gas and barely has to touch their brakes just to bring their car to a stop!..

Proven statistics actually!..
I get what you are saying, but I really don't believe that is what they are looking at

do YOU hit the brakes and accelerator pedal with exactly the same pressure/force every time ???
Old 11-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

lowflyn is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Why those companies? Neither can touch what I have through allstate. Usaa comes close.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Can you beat $450 6mo, 500 ded, 300/500, glass
Old 11-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Don't be surprised when your rate goes up due to your excessive mileage from what you stated to Progressive,
years ago I foolishly answered a survey from my Insurance Company (State Farm) admitting truthfully that I had a round trip of 40 miles insted of 10, my rate shot up and when I questioned it, they said that I was driving more than the 7500 I stated to them !

They already know about my mileage!.. I asked them before if it really mattered, they said no!.. They just wanted an initial impression as to how much I drive!.. Plus I'm in the military so I've got bit of an excuse for the extra miles!..

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

Quote:

I get what you are saying, but I really don't believe that is what they are looking at

do YOU hit the brakes and accelerator pedal with exactly the same pressure/force every time ???
With the gas it's actually measuring how fast your accelerating, ie. do you really need to wrap your RPMs up to 4000+ from every stop?!?.... No!..
Old 11-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #17

Dessy0729 is unknown around these parts
Try Cotton States. They are the best I've found so far. My insurance for my 2012 gt and my 2005 dodge ram 1500 hemi is around $645 every 6 months..
Old 11-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #18

vargas2412 is unknown around these parts
Try USAA...good rates.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

lowflyn is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by vargas2412
Try USAA...good rates.
Not just anyone can get usaa. I was quite suprised at their rates. Wanted double for my home owners
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

NewMtang is unknown around these parts
[B]First, did you call on the phone or get a quote from the Internet? Sometimes you can get a cheaper quote if you deal directly with the insurance company, not just an agent who wants to get a policy fee.

Second, anything they record can come back to bite you in buttocks. Especially if your in an accident. If this is an agent, BE CAREFUL. They only care about THEIR money, they do not represent you. Only if they give you a higher quote, will they start looking for a better price, if you complain at all.

Third, if you don't own your house, you might try dropping the higher coverage. 50/100 should cover you. If you hit someone and do over $100,000, you will be filing bankruptcy. Do you have homeowners insurance? Sometimes you can get a better deal if you have Renters or Homeowners insurance and your car insurance in the same company.

Fourth, Insurance companies generally will charge you more the first time you get a policy with them. Insurance companies have a lot of people that change policies every six months, even if it's a difference of a couple of bucks.

Firth, MILEAGE is Important! The more miles you drive, the more chance you are likely to be in an accident. Also, it’s another way if your way over the mileage for the company to refuse to pay if your in an accident.
Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Ford Racing Sport Axle-Back Exhaust...Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargas2412 View Post
Try USAA...good rates.
I'm not in the military.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessy0729 View Post
Try Cotton States. They are the best I've found so far. My insurance for my 2012 gt and my 2005 dodge ram 1500 hemi is around $645 every 6 months..
Not available in my state.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #23
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:

Not available in my state.

I've also had good luck with State Farm it's worth a try, sometimes they are cheaper than GEICO. But I've heard great things about GEICO.

Also Liberty Mutual is good to.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford

I've also had good luck with State Farm it's worth a try, sometimes they are cheaper than GEICO. But I've heard great things about GEICO.

Liberty Mutual is real good but very pricey!..
Old 11-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

fomoco4life is unknown around these parts
I use 21st century (merged with state farm now). they save me a substantial amount of money switching over from progressive
Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
First, did you call on the phone or get a quote from the Internet? Sometimes you can get a cheaper quote if you deal directly with the insurance company, not just an agent who wants to get a policy fee.

Second, anything they record can come back to bite you in buttocks. Especially if your in an accident. If this is an agent, BE CAREFUL. They only care about THEIR money, they do not represent you. Only if they give you a higher quote, will they start looking for a better price, if you complain at all.

Third, if you don't own your house, you might try dropping the higher coverage. 50/100 should cover you. If you hit someone and do over $100,000, you will be filing bankruptcy. Do you have homeowners insurance? Sometimes you can get a better deal if you have Renters or Homeowners insurance and your car insurance in the same company.

Fourth, Insurance companies generally will charge you more the first time you get a policy with them. Insurance companies have a lot of people that change policies every six months, even if it's a difference of a couple of bucks.

Firth, MILEAGE is Important! The more miles you drive, the more chance you are likely to be in an accident. Also, it’s another way if your way over the mileage for the company to refuse to pay if your in an accident.
I always talk to an agent. I do not own my own home, I live with my parents. And I always say its too much and try to get it lower. I think those prices are the lowest I got for my car.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post

State Farm was in the $300's and Liberty Mutual is who my parents have. I pay $89 a month through them but I'll need my own policy to get this new car. And if I try to get that through LM it's $570 a month.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #27
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:

I always talk to an agent. I do not own my own home, I live with my parents. And I always say its too much and try to get it lower. I think those prices are the lowest I got for my car.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

State Farm was in the $300's and Liberty Mutual is who my parents have. I pay $89 a month through them but I'll need my own policy to get this new car. And if I try to get that through LM it's $570 a month.
Why do you have to go off their policy? Can't you pay the difference? I think that will still be the cheapest route.

I'd try GEICO they are really good, a former co-worker of mine had an accident, and they took great care of him.[COLOR="Silver"]

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55

Also, if you can afford it up your deductible to around $1,000 that saves money. Are you a member of a credit union, or belong to any groups such as AAA, AARP, UAW, etc?

If you graduated from a large 2 year, or 4 year college sometimes they offer Alumni discounts.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Why do you have to go off their policy? Can't you pay the difference? I think that will still be the cheapest route.

I'd try GEICO they are really good, a former co-worker of mine had an accident, and they took great care of him.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55

Also, if you can afford it up your deductible to around $1,000 that saves money. Are you a member of a credit union, or belong to any groups such as AAA, AARP, UAW, etc?

If you graduated from a large 2 year, or 4 year college sometimes they offer Alumni discounts.
Because my mom will no longer be a co-signer. The care will solely be in my name and they can't put me on the same insurance. My deductibles are at $1000 on there as well. And no not that I know of. I'm currently in school but not from a huge school.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #29
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:

Because my mom will no longer be a co-signer. The care will solely be in my name and they can't put me on the same insurance. My deductibles are at $1000 on there as well. And no not that I know of. I'm currently in school but not from a huge school.
That may still help you. Have you asked for a student discount?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That may still help you. Have you asked for a student discount?
Yes I believe they both have me discounts for that.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #31
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:

Yes I believe they both have me discounts for that.
Good and also if your GPA is a 3.5 or better they will offer that.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #32

Cusp is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco4life View Post
I use 21st century (merged with state farm now). they save me a substantial amount of money switching over from progressive
+1
I use them. Rates are about 1/2 of what my quote from either Giko or Progressive was. Stands to reason though. How can a company pay for 1/2 of all the TV air time and still have any money left over for good rates? I insure 2 Vehicles with collision and comprehensive with affordable deductibles and two drivers for about 900 / year.
2008 manual GT with deluxe trim, Edelbrock e-force, FRPP GTB Mufflers. 3.73 gears, Coast Ultralight Drive-shaft. 18" OEM Polished Bullitts, Webelectric Sequentials, XM built into the Shaker 500. Alarm and Escort RedLine.
Cusp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #33
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusp View Post
+1
I use them. Rates are about 1/2 of what my quote from either Giko or Progressive was. Stands to reason though. How can a company pay for 1/2 of all the TV air time and still have any money left over for good rates? I insure 2 Vehicles with collision and comprehensive with affordable deductibles and two drivers for about 900 / year.
That's a good deal. I may have to call them.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

brooksyx is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Liberty Mutual is real good but very pricey!..
Thats who I have and I have done some shopping around and didnt find anyone with a better deal for full coverage (about $120 a month for a single 22 y/o male). I would gladly switch to something cheaper if I could, would like to get down to less than $100 but probably wont happen until I am at least 25.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

FortyBrandon is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii
Geico will be $260 a month.
Progressive will be $280 monthly or $240 a month if I pay 6 months in full.

Progressive also offers the snapshot discount. If anything know anything about that please elaborate. All I was told is that it monitors mileage and breaking.
My 99 cobra is $89 for 3 months

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion